The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Mild Hesitating, Lean around 4k

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tec_41

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 23, 2008
West Bend, Wisconsin
Hello, for a while now I've been having this issue and have finally decided to look into it. The hesitating is more noticeable when the car is cold, but it does it throught all RPM's, either at low or high throttle. In boost it's usually okay, EXCEPT for around 4k rpm. I hit this nasty little lean spike (reads about 18 on the wideband for a split second :() right at 4k. Before that, it's fine- readings around 13. After that, just fine- readings around 13. But you can feel when it hits that lean spike too, because it almost bogs a little bit...I guess I'd call it just a little loss of power. Low throttle driving is fine, no lean spikes there.

I changed out my plugs today with no results. For what it's worth I'm running NGK BKR7E's gapped at .03

So I was going to tackle maybe the coil next because as far as I can tell it's never been done. But do you guys have any ideas? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

You need more fuel. What RPM are you seeing boost? You should really be in the 12's when you are.

I hit full boost probably by 3500 or a little after.

I haven't tried running an adjustable fuel pressure regulator...Would any benefits come from this?

It seems to be getting worse off of cold starts...much more noticeable hesitation. Any more ideas?

I hit full boost probably by 3500 or a little after.

I haven't tried running an adjustable fuel pressure regulator...Would any benefits come from this?

Depends on whether you need bigger injectors or not, granted you have the correct idle fuel pressure.

It seems to be getting worse off of cold starts...much more noticeable hesitation. Any more ideas?

To make problems easier you have to confirm your ECU is acting normal out of boost, and sensors such as the map sensor and 02 isn't trippin'. (sigh...95's ;)) It would also be wise to check your fuel pressure and verify (if you can) your FMU is rising at a ~12:1 ratio. As #40Fan mentioned, your goal is mid 12's or lower.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would try to find some BKR7ES's. PN# 6097 They are the standard copper plug that is one range colder from stock. Your gap is good, but I remember a tech article that explains why BKR7E's aren't good for boost. It had something to do with the way the kernel is produced from the tip of the plug. Also, keep this in mind, too: The standard 8lb build isn't very precise. It works, but it wasn't engineered by DaVinci.

I would try to find some BKR7ES's. PN# 6097 They are the standard copper plug that is one range colder from stock.

He's already running one range colder. Its the correct plug. Also, The part number you gave is a E not ES.

NGK.com - Cross Reference Search Results

Your gap is good, but I remember a tech article that explains why BKR7E's aren't good for boost. It had something to do with the way the kernel is produced from the tip of the plug.

They changed the part number from 6097 to 4644. Most keep them gaped at .028 but .03 should be fine. They changed the part number because it had something to do with the tip of the spark plug. I've had no problems with the older style and boost though; even on my other boosted cars. You would also want the E over the ES because of the "grove style" (V-power) of the plug. (You won't know the difference, but it's the one to get)

I would try to find some BKR7ES's. PN# 6097 They are the standard copper plug that is one range colder from stock. Your gap is good, but I remember a tech article that explains why BKR7E's aren't good for boost. It had something to do with the way the kernel is produced from the tip of the plug. Also, keep this in mind, too: The standard 8lb build isn't very precise. It works, but it wasn't engineered by DaVinci.

Those are what I run.. Ive never had a problem with boosting higher with these in either:thumb:

Those are what I run.. Ive never had a problem with boosting higher with these in either:thumb:

Any chance you're speaking of the BPR7ES's for the 4g63? If so... different plug, different motor.

Thanks for the replies. The other day I popped off a coupler...It still had the hesitating problem while I was driving home.

I have 2 ECU's, both run exactly the same.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back