The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Might be quiting DSMs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd say, very few people has had it as bad as I have with these cars, and i'm still here!

A nuclear engineer here is asking us, a mix bag of retards, old guys, and guys in their 20's, 30's, 40's, high schoolers, and whatever else Tuners is consisted of, what to do with his car. Dear Lord, I don't know whats worst, that the guy is blatantly trolling or, if it's true, an engineer has no idea how to fix a car. God help us, these are the youth of our nation. ####.

I will say what noone else will say... You should lock up your car in a garage if you can. Get a daily driver, finish college make money and then resume work the correct way. You are putting bandaids on a lot of issues I think. I think you need to start from scratch build it the right way and call it a day.

Hey I may be new to this forum and I may be a female but I can say that I know I do not speak for only myself when I say that yet you are in the top however much percent of your class but yet you sure as hell make lots of spelling errors.
I also will say that the car that I own now may only be my first DSM and it sure as hell wont be my last but when it comes to cars its not gonna be a smooth piece of cake to fix what happens to it. Just throwin it out there. When a test in "high school" is hard do you just throw it across the room and give up? No because in that case you wouldn't be the top 1% of your class or whatever it is.
So yes there are downfalls but it is a matter of dedication to the love for your car to keep it up to par.
I know I will probably get shit thrown at my face because I am a girl and trying to "talk the talk" but I am not stupid and dont underestimate me because i am a girl.
Just throwin it out there that your post sure did include alot of "egotistical" things so to speak. Not only that but alot of spelling and punctuation issues. But hey i'm just throwing it out there. Its a DSM your gonna have problems. But they are fixable. It is up to you to determine weather or not you can "handle" fixing it.
:confused:

Hey I may be new to this forum and I may be a female but I can say that I know I do not speak for only myself when I say that yet you are in the top however much percent of your class but yet you sure as hell make lots of spelling errors.
I also will say that the car that I own now may only be my first DSM and it sure as hell wont be my last but when it comes to cars its not gonna be a smooth piece of cake to fix what happens to it. Just throwin it out there. When a test in "high school" is hard do you just throw it across the room and give up? No because in that case you wouldn't be the top 1% of your class or whatever it is.
So yes there are downfalls but it is a matter of dedication to the love for your car to keep it up to par.
I know I will probably get shit thrown at my face because I am a girl and trying to "talk the talk" but I am not stupid and dont underestimate me because i am a girl.
Just throwin it out there that your post sure did include alot of "egotistical" things so to speak. Not only that but alot of spelling and punctuation issues. But hey i'm just throwing it out there. Its a DSM your gonna have problems. But they are fixable. It is up to you to determine weather or not you can "handle" fixing it.
:confused:

Well said but never admit to the fact you are a girl unless you want your leg humped over here. Now you will have random people asking you to post your pic and stuff. But welcome to the forums and have lots of fun.

I am getting old now but its good to see the younger generation back into DSMs

As most poeple have said, a lot of the problems could have been avoided. Research, research, and when you're done researching... research. You need to learn how to do maintenance on your car properly.

"overheated and blew a head gasket because the mechanic didn't replace any of the coolent."

Unless your coolant was as thick as syrup I don't see how coolant can blow a headgasket. I would think a thermostat, hoses, overboosting, detonation, or radiator problem could be the cause.

"the one we got from autozone was the wrong one and went out 3 days later."

Always compare the new part to the old prior to install. If it was the wrong one it must have given you a lot of problems putting it on which should have been a hint.

"My oild return line had somehow snapped, i had replaced it 3 weeks prior"

Your oil return line was probably installed incorrectly.

"there is a hole in cylinder one in my head "

Cylinders are in the block. I'm assuming you mean there is a hole in the #1 piston.

So, judging by these statements I'd say you're basically, well, a newb. We were/ are all there so I'm not trying to insult you. The best thing you can do is research.

Guise he's the top 1% of special ed. Don't be so hard on this kid.

I had quit, but now I am back. Well, I quit for 3 months....

I gotta say that things break when they are done wrong. He probably did the clutch and crap wrong. Not that hard if you don't know what you're doing.

Consistently, from what I've seen, I have seen those that "fix" their cars, and those that actually fix their cars. If they actually fix their cars, then they run great and run for a long time. If they don't know what the hell they're doing, then they usually end up like Mr. OP here. That was me and my GST. I hated it, (50% was me, and 50% was the previous owner's s***ty mods).

So, I decided to apprentice under a mechanic and have him teach me stuff. It worked, and after I realized how new I was (and still am), I can at least fix stuff properly. Well, I ain't the best obviously, but now my TSi runs great. It just has no tranny....LOL.

Anyway, seriously, DSM's have a lot fewer problems than people believe. They are usually caused by morons. The problems I've had with mine not related to me are this.....02 sensor, ECU, and 02 sensor again. That's it, and that's on three different DSM's over a year. Keep the rest of the maintenance up and you're good to go.

This is the deal, these cars are old. How many people buy a mopar, ford, or gm muscle car out of someones barn, and not only drive it home, but expect it to run like a new car. This is one of the reaso ns people in the muscle car crown rip on us. People buy old muscle cars, and you don't see them until a complete frame off restoration is done. Every dsm, galant vr4, and stealth tt/3000gt vr4 i've owned, has had a complete engine/trans rebuild within weeks of my owning it. The way to make a 20 year old car thats been beat on reliable, is to make it a new car. This takes time, money, and know how. All of the people on tuners, 3si, talk, gvr4.org, that bi*** about their cars problems, haven't taken the time, and cash to ensure the proper condition of the car. I work on tons of dsm's and 3s's, the people i hear from always looking for the cheapest parts, and labor, show up online with complaint threads.

first off if your going to bag on my spelling as a proof of my lack of intelligence then your ignorant beyond belief. I posted this right before i went to work

second i don't have money because my checks go to my parents to help them get out of their debt

third i'm going to start saving half my checks and give the rest to my parent till i can buy a new head and swap it over

and its not my grades that made me in the top 1% its my sat/act scores i dont give a S**t about grades my car and work come wayy before school

I'm going to keep my tsi

Its a DSM your gonna have problems. But they are fixable. It is up to you to determine weather or not you can "handle" fixing it.
:applause:

I think the saddest thing out of this is i came here for reasons to keep my car and about 90% of the comments on here were bagging on my spelling or my academics. Really? Thank you's go out to the people on here put back my faith into my car. I know most of the problems that have gone wrong with it have been partly my fault but you can't admit that i have some bad luck under my belt. After replacing a part that has been fixed on my car i can proudly say that i could do it again by myself and have learned from the mistakes that i have made.

Just because one girlfriend cheats on you or lies to you, do you give up on girls and become a homosexual?

You bought a car that's older than you are...you're going to have problems. If you're truly loyal to the brand you'll not give up so easily- these cars are amazingly powerful and quite reliable when built properly.

^Main reason why i wanted to keep and fix my car

This is the deal, these cars are old. How many people buy a mopar, ford, or gm muscle car out of someones barn, and not only drive it home, but expect it to run like a new car. This is one of the reaso ns people in the muscle car crown rip on us. People buy old muscle cars, and you don't see them until a complete frame off restoration is done. Every dsm, galant vr4, and stealth tt/3000gt vr4 i've owned, has had a complete engine/trans rebuild within weeks of my owning it. The way to make a 20 year old car thats been beat on reliable, is to make it a new car. This takes time, money, and know how. All of the people on tuners, 3si, talk, gvr4.org, that bi*** about their cars problems, haven't taken the time, and cash to ensure the proper condition of the car. I work on tons of dsm's and 3s's, the people i hear from always looking for the cheapest parts, and labor, show up online with complaint threads.

Amen.

first off if your going to bag on my spelling as a proof of my lack of intelligence then your ignorant beyond belief. I posted this right before i went to work

second i don't have money because my checks go to my parents to help them get out of their debt

third i'm going to start saving half my checks and give the rest to my parent till i can buy a new head and swap it over

and its not my grades that made me in the top 1% its my sat/act scores i dont give a S**t about grades my car and work come wayy before school

Coming from a guy who tied for the top ACT score in his graduating class, and had SAT scores in the top 10%...you're full of it.

Sorry, kid.

Last edited:
I know how you feel I am a senior and 18 years old. i am also a scholar at my school. However, that does not mean the DSM is not for you. I went through 2 eclipses already (GSX and GS) my GSX just broke and I bought with a loan a 96 talon tsi awd for 4700 cash. This has 80,000 original on it. I have put too much time and money and before I bought the newest of my DSMs i decided that I would change to a different car. That obviously was not gonna happen. You have to be willing to put the work into it, regardless of the crappy situations. maybe you cannot right now, just store the car until you can and get another. Dont give up just take a break school is out in a few months and than try again. The best thing you can do is not drive the thing until you have fixed all issues and have a good trustworthy mechanic look at it to inspect your work and the overall condition of the vehicle thanks and hit me up if you need advice on anything, i have spent so much time I can fix almost anything, thanks

Jared

I did the math real quick, and overall, I've spent Less on my Eclipse than I did on my Camaro for each year. I spent like 7K total on my camaro, from buying it to doing repair, and on my eclipse, I've barely pushed past 4k.

evolvingGST said:
Well said but never admit to the fact you are a girl unless you want your leg humped over here. Now you will have random people asking you to post your pic and stuff.

Really? The only person I see who even commented on her being female...was you. :hmm:

Moving right along.

I'm getting really sick of how people instantly rip on EVERYONE around here. It's getting old. Yes, you've been here a while, yes you're part of the closer knit portion of the community. But we're here to HELP people! Not beat them down.

I'm not saying the kid ISN'T throwing BS...but I just hate how one of the very first responses was to bash on the kid.

Didn't your mommies teach you that age old rule?

In summation. STFU. You're all starting to annoy me. We don't want to be labeled as that community that has a few loyal members and chases off every single newbie.

This kid needs to crack open a beer.

WTF

Anyway.

Doing a head gasket includes the gasket, RTV, and new head studs/bolts. Probably a good time to do the timing belt.

Last edited:
I agree with her. We really should be a bit less hostile.

OP: Good thing you're sticking around. Ignore the ribbing, occasionally people here get jumpy.

Have Fun. :)

I am not here to bash, I am here to relate.

I was the top .3% in the nation (according to the SAT) and scored an IQ of 149 according to the national IQ test (took it for fun), but in no way consider myself smart. Not saying you're not, but all I see myself as, is good at taking tests. And it's been 6 years since I graduated high school, and I found out that school and world are totally different. I am not pointing anything at anyone, I am tired and kind of going off on a separate tangent. Anyway, I just regret that I spent 2 years in high school before I dropped out. School system wasn't happy, looks bad when a top performer drops out.

I am just here to say, though that in my world, I thought I knew something about cars and was totally humbled by my GST. I found out quickly I had a lot to learn, so I learned from a mechanic. I have a lot more to learn, but I seriously realize that it helps a lot to have someone (competent) to help you along the way. I spent 80 hours working on my Eclipse, only to find out that a tech and tuner fixed it in 5.

Well, there's a lot to learn about fixing cars. It's not about taking a part off and putting a new one on, it seriously is a lot more than that. Diag is a whole nother b****. It's a deep world, hope you like it!

P.S. And yes, I am the first to admit I pointed a finger and could have said things nicer. Sorry about that, good to hear you're still here.

Sooo sell my talon and buy a honda?
:thumb:
i heard they're fast

i heard they're fast

:ohdamn:

JK, do whatever you want! That's my motto. I used to be in the Utah Dodge club and was sporting around an 89' Lebaron. I tried so hard to impress the tuners there, but then realized that I hated Shelby CSXs, GLHs, and Daytonas. They are all UGLY!! I still loved my Lebaron (so comfy), but I realized that hey, I ought not need to try and impress someone, it's MY CAR!! I'll get whatever the hell I please! So, the next stop? After two 1/2 years, my GST, which is what I've always wanted. I've always wanted a 2gb since I was 10, so at 22, I was like "Whoo hoo!! I've waited so long for this day!" Yeah so.....

...get what you like. Seems like you like the Talon, so keep it. It's your car, you're the one driving it, not us. So do it for you. Quit or don't quit, I guarantee no one will remember this thread next month. Maybe...

P.S. And where the hell is Avondale? My ex is from Mesa...but that's like all I know.

i heard they're fast

Are you trying to get members to affirm your decisions or beg for you to stay?

If you want a honda, buy one. I'm sure the honda forums would love to have a member as intellectually acute as yourself.

Guys im pretty sure he was just kidding lay off him a little bit,
gah who knows he might be lying bout all the crap he said before but he's still a dsm'r asking for help,
not for all fellow dsm'rs to to give him reason not to keep it, and im sure no bodys stupid enough to come on a dsm site and say i might get a honda and be serious, commmeee onnnnn.....

I'm getting really sick of how people instantly rip on EVERYONE around here. It's getting old. Yes, you've been here a while, yes you're part of the closer knit portion of the community. But we're here to HELP people! Not beat them down.

I'm not saying the kid ISN'T throwing BS...but I just hate how one of the very first responses was to bash on the kid.

Didn't your mommies teach you that age old rule?

In summation. STFU. You're all starting to annoy me. We don't want to be labeled as that community that has a few loyal members and chases off every single newbie.

I'm assuming this is directed at me since my reply was probably the first one with any negativity in it. I didn't intend to come off as "bashing", however I think it's just a little ironic how you scolded negativity with your own. I have no complaint with you, but I'd like to explain at least my own viewpoint to you if you'll bear with me.

I'm all about helping out the newer younger members here. Probably a third of my time on this site anymore is spent looking at the unanswered threads. I feel that I owe a lot to this site. I have a lot of downtime at work so I spend a lot of time here because of that, probably 2+ hours a day while at work.

I think if it's worth it for someone to put in the effort to post a thread asking us for info or advice, then it's worth it for me to take the time to try to help. One thing I can't stand though is dishonesty or worse, someone with arrogance and a sense of entitlement. The people who deserve the most respect in our community are usually the most humble about it. Why not tell the truth and be respectful? I'm probably never going to meet him, I have no idea what he even looks like and I would still try to help him even if he told me his IQ was the same as the liter displacement of his engine.

Admittedly, I may have been slightly harsh. OP, I apologize if I offended. -That also goes for all members of the site, anyone I may have touched a nerve with at any point here. I think my posts are taken the wrong way often and even more often I unintentionally post things that could be interpreted the wrong way. I think if you care about DSMs enough to have come to this site I consider you to be part of the DSM family, whether you have 1 post here or 25,000... whether your DSM runs 7's or you don't even own one right now... whether you're a 17 year old with a perfect SAT score or are a 55 year old plunger wielding janitor only known by the nickname "Stinky".

I honestly hope nothing I've ever typed convinced someone to give up and quit.

If you want a honda, buy one. I'm sure the honda forums would love to have a member as intellectually acute as yourself.

kidding about the honda i could never wake up every morning and see that in my front yard

And where the hell is Avondale? My ex is from Mesa...but that's like all I know.

its like 45min away from mesa its by the i-10 and the 101

i'm acutually going to go the engineering school out by mesa in august

Some one whipped out the thesaurus before posting:applause:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back