The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Might be buying a Porsche.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vhp777

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 13, 2002
Kenosha_WI
So, I was out yesterday and I stopped to get gas. I saw an older, red Porsche for sale, so I pulled over next to it and got out. All the windshield said was "1981 Porsche rare $4400 must sell low miles." The body was in real good shape, but I didn't get a real good look at the interior.

I have no idea what model it was, and the only thing I could tell you is that it looked like a 944, and had really nice, black BBS wheels.

I'm going to call the guy tomorrow and possibly set up a test drive. If it's in good shape (and it's not some slow 924 or something), I'll probably sell my car and buy it.

Yep.

If it is a 944 make sure it is turbo because though N/A ones aren't the quickest things in the world (150 hp).

This wouldn't happen to be in Racine, WI would it? My brother was looking at a red one that was on Lathrop ave. by a gas station a little bit ago. Supposedly it is still there. It was a turbo if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by Vhp777

I'm going to call the guy tomorrow and possibly set up a test drive. If it's in good shape (and it's not some slow 924 or something), I'll probably sell my car and buy it.

You might want to check into the cost of a water pump for it, first.... or just about any other routine service parts.

yep,check that old Audi engine first,the parts are cheap over here,but i dont know what u might pay at an Audi or Porsche Dealer for parts over there...try beating that price down

u sure it was a 944?

If it's a NT 944 its a absolute dog.

It can handle like it is on rails if the suspension is in good shape due to the rear mounted trans.

Swap in a turbo 4g63 :D

You can then go much faster than a 944 turbo for less money as our upgrades are cheaper don't cha know.

Its a rear mounted trans. A tq tube runs to the back and connects to the transmission. Use a FWD trans to block plate as a template for the bellhousing adapter. Have a metal shop cut it from 1/4" steel.

A clutch company ought to be able to put a hub with the porshe splines on a DSM disk if they are different.

It's not as bad as it sounds if you have a full 1g parts car or something to steal parts from.

It would be like a 4g63'd starion but with a rear transaxel. So near 50/50 weight distribution.

well i checked the prices,those 944 s and 944 s2 models are pretty damn expensive $7900 (1986) to about 15000 (1990 S2)

the Turbos,s(turbo) and s2(turbo) have wider body work,heres a pic of one from the front so u can see the wider fenders
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ya well DSM heads check this out. The only porshe that makes me sport wood

http://hometown.aol.com/emplebani/motorjpeg.html

Find out what he used for a bellhousing adapter.

The 944 is a better canidate.

911's like to ass around in corners. I've driven one before. The 944 has a better balance.

If want to put a V8 in it can be done too. There are kits. I know a guy with an LS1'd 944.

Porsche parts (Especially old Porsche parts) make DSM dealer priced parts look CHEAP, and lemme tell you, our parts ain't cheap.

I thought about buying a 944 Turbo instead of a GSX when I was first buying my car, but then I asked myself, "Why?" It's not like I'd be getting the luxury/prestige of the Porsche marque, as 944's have always been referred to as the "Poor Man's Porsche", their styling is very, very, 80's and dated, and people wanted 15k for 'em (Although I was sure I could get him down to 12k). That and there's no real "support network" a la our VFAQ. The VFAQ alone is a personal Jesus for repairs, modifications, and what have you.

*shrug* I vastly prefer my 2G's stylings more than a 944, but it's up to you, I suppose.

They are a bit like DSM's as a possible chink in their armor is the transmission. There are upgrade parts for that. I was looking at them too a while back. You can get one with a dead or dying motor cheap and when you put in a detroit aluminum V8 and they rock. I've just recently seen the 4g63 swap.

Originally posted by dsm1gturbotalon
This wouldn't happen to be in Racine, WI would it? My brother was looking at a red one that was on Lathrop ave. by a gas station a little bit ago. Supposedly it is still there. It was a turbo if I remember correctly.

Yeah, it's in Racine. It's at a gas station by the interstate right across the street from some famous truck stop. Apparently the truck stop is one of the best in the world, with chiropractors, massages, etc, if that rings a bell at all.

Anyway, I figure if I do end up getting this car (I probably will, unless it's N/T), I won't really be modding it at all. Sure, I might do a few small things here and there, but I don't plan on making it some monster of a car.

If you want it get it.

I was looking at NT's with bum engines for the $ and sleeper effect after subsequent swapage.

If you can't get alot for your DSM maybe hang on it. It may prove cheaper should that german rig develop engine trouble.

Oh and BTW the turbos have a beefier drive line than the NT's

It's been a while but I believe it was the ring gear on the NA's that high power swapers were poping and replacing with parts from the turbo cars.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back