The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Mid 12s on stock 4G64

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nothing too exciting has been going on. I think Slava parted his car out, I saw a bunch of his stuff for sale on EvoM :( Boston Hatcher is the one everyone is gunning for nowadays. He got his AWD swap done and I think he's just waiting to put is motor back in so he can make some passes on E85. I was hoping he'd do it by the end of the year but it doesn't look like he'll make it in time for this season

Is there anyone else here who has personal experience with how much power the stock bottom end 4g64 can make? I'd love it if I could push my car to around 300hp reliably.

My 4g64 is from a galant, I know it has the regular 7 bolt rods which can take the power, should my pistons be the same as the 3g 4g64? My pistons have seen flashes of 14psi on my small 16g due to boost creep and 1600+ exhaust gas temps for tiny bursts due to lean flashes from a bad FPR I had.
Seems like they're tough enough haha.

Thanks, that's great for that much boost. I'm surprised it can handle it stock.

And it must have been someone else on the 3g forums. My only car has been my gsx, i do plan on building a 4g64 spyder one day though :)

WOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH ROB!!!!! to bad your slave went out the day i was there :(. But i got some good runs in and it was a fun day for the drag slicks reveiling!!!

can you show some engine bay pic's

WOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH ROB!!!!! to bad your slave went out the day i was there :(. But i got some good runs in and it was a fun day for the drag slicks reveiling!!!

:hellyeah: Yeah, learning how to launch on slicks was a bi*** when my clutch wasn't always fully disengaging. And I didn't mess up my rev limiters this time so I didn't make any 16 second passes ROFL

can you show some engine bay pic's

Sure thing :thumb:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hopefully this isn't too off topic but it should stir some good 4g64 discussion in this thread. :thumb:

Correct me if my logic is wrong: When talking about the stock pistons in 4g64's, people are quick to say "They'll only handle 8-10psi." Psi is completely relative to what turbo you are running...therefore the limit of the pistons comes down to the stresses put on the piston by 1. Cylinder Pressure 2. Piston acceleration Correct? Therefore assuming we are running the stock 4g64 stroke, the "limit" of the pistons would be how much cylinder pressure you are exposing them to, which is directly relative to how much torque you are making with the added airflow from the turbo.

I have run my stock 4g64 with a 14b and my s16g so far, and it has seen 8-14 psi on the 14b and 8-14psi (creep LOL) on the 16g. Voodoo's current power level suggest that rather than a "max boost" level for the 4g64 to run reliably, it is more a statement of what level of power will a 4g64 run reliably at. Which appears to be a ballpark of ~300hp thanks to Voodoo's info. Given that the major variable is the tune.

Hopefully not too long winded... but does my logic seem correct? For people with more experience than me, what could cause the actual level of boost to become an issue (independent of the power level)?

Odin, I would say that's mostly correct. There was a guy on Club3G (the old record holder) that produced a 326whp/339wtq dyno sheet a few years ago and ran a 12.87 @ 116 on drag radials, which is a pretty massive trap for a stock motor. My highest was 113 on street tires so he was probably making more power than me. As far as I know, the bottleneck for the 3G 4G64 setup is the flow capabilities of the head/cam/IM/throttle body combination, and it all needs to be swapped out if you plan to make any more than 320whp. I've also been told that the rods like to take a vacation around the 340whp mark, which doesn't make much sense because they're forged. So I would assume the pistons would be next in line after the head.

nice no one ever builds these things right good to see you are smart and can. Awesome to have another stock 4g64 guy around here.

Thanks man :hellyeah:

Yea I'd also say its the rods giving in, all the high hp stock 4g64s I know of have failed from throwing rods through the block.

Did the 4g64 in the 3g get evo forged rods? I know the 96-99 4g64 has the same rods as the 2g 4g63t in the 2g turbo.

The 3g 4g64 is a drop in replacement for the 4g64 found in the 2g NT spyder, even though your motor is cooler being rotated 180*.

Good info, I did the DOHC conversion to my motor so i have a 1g DOHC head and 1g IM, TB etc, and since the 7bolt rods are the same ( I have a 7 bolt 4g64 from a 90 something galant) I figure my weak point are the pistons then.

I'm gonna get a fuel pump/injectors/cams this winter and shoot for 300 whp, I don't care about going much higher than that. Besides that'll be horsing on my s16g pretty good.

People need to talk about this setup more on DSM forums! Now that we have some results to prove its capability LOL

Just Curious How you Tuned your car, I am getting ready to Turbo the 3G I just picked up and I ordered EvoScan and Ecuflash......and have absolutely No idea what to do with them :D

Its a lead sled. But hey you built it very nicely. Ive never seen a boosted 3g until now.

Did the 4g64 in the 3g get evo forged rods? I know the 96-99 4g64 has the same rods as the 2g 4g63t in the 2g turbo.

I'm not sure where else the rods are used, but I've heard they're forged. They seem to be holding up pretty well so far.

Just Curious How you Tuned your car, I am getting ready to Turbo the 3G I just picked up and I ordered EvoScan and Ecuflash......and have absolutely No idea what to do with them :D

I'm using an AEM EMS, but a flashed ECU is definitely the way to go. Much better bang for the buck. There's lots of good info about it on Club3G.com

Its a lead sled. But hey you built it very nicely. Ive never seen a boosted 3g until now.

My car really isn't much heavier than a 2G. It weighed in at 3030 lbs in full street trim (spare tire and one 12" sub) and nearly a full tank of gas...

A lot of people in the UK use the 4g64 block with 4g63 heads in the EVO and run around 1000bhp with the right components so they are not weak. Im currently doing that build for my FWD Mitsubishi FTO.

This has nothing to do with drag racing, but is on-topic with the 4G64 discussion. I went to Sound Performance's open house a few weeks ago and decided to hop on their dyno. Still the same setup that I was running last fall at the drag strip, and she put down 298 whp. I was really hoping to break 300, but I've heard that Mustang dynos read lower and this seems to be a prime example. I've raced a couple comparable cars that dynoed at 320-330 whp on other dynos and pulled on them both pretty hard. Anyways, here's the vid:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qUqg9NUm2o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qUqg9NUm2o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back