The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

MHI Big 16g Hybrid?? (V1 68HTA)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVLGSX

5+ Year Contributor
Dec 7, 2017
Wallingford, Connecticut
I picked this up a while back and have had it sitting. Exhaust side looks standard. The compressor is a "42" big 16g cover but its been machined out for a larger 7 blade wheel.......thats all I know.

Can anyone tell me anything about this setup, and how it might perform compared to a better known unit?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You have a V1 FP 68HTA made from an actual MHI 16G core.

When these were introduced to the DSM market Forced Performance bought new MHI 16Gs, installed their compressor wheel, machined the cover, and sent it out the door- but MHI 16G's are no longer in new production so FP restructured the 68HTA a bit into the 100%-aftermarket turbo it is today.

cmon dude........really?? does it flow just as good as the newer version?

Im on an EvoIII 16g now, planned on swapping to the FP Green I have sitting once I get bored.

Goal for now is 400. Wondering if this V1 would make 400 any easier. Not too far off as of right now.

Last edited:
Well I got my answers, doesnt flow as good as the current model but its not without its good points......its a little more responsive which may suit me a little better.

yes, that is just about right.....I guess the V1s are the one you want if your looking for fun and want something that truly makes sense once you get to thinking about why your using a TDO5 in the first place......unless your goal is to look OE

V1 68HTA: reliable, durable direct-fit upgrade option to a MHI 16G which spools only slightly-slower but has airflow potential above that of a cast-wheel 20G at 47 lb/min despite being 1.5mm smaller on the inducer thanks to a very efficient compressor design.

V2 68HTA: direct-fit upgrade to a MHI 16G which spools roughly the same as an old TD06 20G from two decades ago. Peak airflow output is up almost 4 lb/min over the V1 unit to 51 but spool is 300-400rpms slower. I've also seen a fair amount of thrust failures on the V2 68HTA's which didn't exist on the V1 turbos...some with under 1000 miles. This makes no sense because typically the less turbine restriction there is on the unit (V2's have a larger turbine wheel and housing a/r than V1) the less thrust loads there will be. I've also had a V2 68HTA that was less than 2 years old that wore the flapper bushing so badly the internal gate would no longer seal and I had to convert it to external-on-o2 for the customer, and a couple have also cracked around the wastegate hole in less than 5k miles of use.

I feel the V1 68HTA is a better turbo, but if you're chasing that extra couple lb/min, have a stroker, or are limited to a poor-quality fuel like pump gas where the reduction in backpressure would lead to easier tuning then your opinion may differ. The V1 is good for around 380whp on pump gas and maybe 420-430 on E85.

It should be noted that you have to feed the v2 off the OFH whereas the v1 should be fed from the head like any other MHI turbo. so factor that in as well.. plus my v2 68hta was clocked slightly differently than my v1 which caused some fitment issues with my FMIC.. I ran both of them back to back and much prefer the V1

Thanks for all the input JusMX, great stuff...Yeah the fact that the components are for the most part MHI is what I like because it means it should last (not to take anything away from FP!!), the fact that it spools quicker is a bonus. This example I have is very clean too, barely used.

I thought it was better than 380 by about 40-50 or so.....not sure where I came up with that. So I may as well stay on my EvoIII16g then for now?

The green is on deck for when I get bored with the TDO5s. Fast spooling 400 is the goal for now, Im close, and finally found the HKS cams Ive been on the hunt for so Im hoping that'll do it. Oh yeah, I picked up an evoIII intake manifold and the 60mm no turbo TB as well so those"ll get added within the next couple weeks as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back