The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G MFI/Fuel Pump Relay

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjbaxter

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2006
parkesburg, Pennsylvania
On my 98 GST, are both the MFI relay and Fuel Pump Relay right next to each other and look exactly alike(a black box/relay, that has four flat prongs) the number on both of them was E8T101

...thats exacty how it was written on the parts. not sure if it was because the number was too long for the short length or what, but thats how it was. Any help, suggestions, or anything would be greatly appreciated!!! I need to get my car back on the road, its becomming a garage queen :(:dsm:

Wait, the 7823 was below the E8T101, not all goofy lookin like it is right now.

The fuel pump relay and MFI relay are both located at "Y" in this picture.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 53,569
Here is how to test the fuel pump relay.

Attachments

• 2 (Small).jpg
    2 (Small).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 61,777
While we're on a similar topic, where is the inertia switch in the 2g turbo cars? I've never seen it, and i've never had the MFI or FP relay go bad and had no idea that's what those 2 were in the console were for. hahaha. I wired my Haltech ECU through the stock ECU plugs by just snipping and connecting the ECU's corresponding wire. I was going for ultimate sleeper style and this is the best way to keep al teh stock guages working. I even kept the MAF on there for a while and wired on heat shield material on teh manfild and turbo to try and hide them.:).

Let's see if somone can answer this question about my thread here... When the fuel pump relay goes bad, it wont allow the fuel pump to kick on or tell the ecu when to kick a signal to the coil as to when it needs spark, right?!? Being that if there is spark and no fuel the motor will blow up, correct??

When the fuel pump relay goes bad, it wont allow the fuel pump to kick on or tell the ecu when to kick a signal to the coil as to when it needs spark, right?!? Being that if there is spark and no fuel the motor will blow up, correct??
Oh sooooooo close...but....backwards. :( Nice try though! On 2g turbos and all 1g, the ECU turns the FP relay on when it detects the coil is firing. So only while spark is present will the FP be on (safety issue for like a crash/rollover). This is why on 2g turbos and all 1g (but not 2g NT however) the FP will not be on with the engine not running and the key to just ON.

And BTW, spark and no fuel (eg. which can easily happen when FP itself is not working but relay is, or the fuel tank is empty) will not blow up your motor ROFL!

Thats not really making a whole lot of sense to me :( Why would you be able to get spark with no fuel?? How come thats not dangerous?? Isn't it the same as saying throwing a match in a full gas tank is actually better than throwing a match in an empty tank because of the fumes?? please let me know what you think. thanks:dsm:

Why would you be able to get spark with no fuel?? How come thats not dangerous??
When the fuel tank goes empty that's exactly what you have. With no fuel, a spark inside the cylinder ignites nothing so is not dangerous. But if fuel were still to be flowing and the fuel line breaks (due to a crash, etc), an external spark could be very dangerous! Of course Chysler (2g NT) has a different view.

I didn't mean the inertia switch for the airbag. I meant the switch that cuts the fuel pump off if there's a hard impact. Usually in left quarter panel on fords.. if it gets hit hard it pops open, then you just click it closed and can be on your way again.

luv2rallye- I have the same issue as bjbaxter on my VR-4 and took the MFI relay to HB Mitsu and Costa Mesa Mitsu and nobody can match the part # or pic in a catalog. HB Mitsu also took pics and sent them to corporate and they sent back a fuel pump relay that was wrong. Although my relays read E8T101 7617. How did you track down the correct part number? Thank you very much for your help.

This is the first turbo eclipse i have ever owned and the car came to me with no fire and no power to the fuel pump. I have read the manual and talked to a few people and have come to the conclusion that it is either the ecm or the mfi and fuel pump relays. I have tested the relays and they ohm at 73.3 and 74.2 which i am assuming means that they are bad but can't find them anywhere. I also ordered a computer just in case. I know the fuel pump works because i hooked it to the battery and it kicked on. I am not sure what else to do so any information would be very appreciated.

Those resistances are good.

On the MFI relay ground the blue/green wire (pin 2) and see if you get +12V on the red only (pin 1) wire to check if relay works properly - this supplys power to the ECU main and most engine electrical (part of the ECU normally does this).

On the FP relay ground the white/red wire (pin 2) when ignition key is ON to check if FP turns on to see if relay works properly (ECU normally does this but ONLY when engine is cranking or running - NOT stopped with just key ON). And of course the MFI relay must be working first.

If these pass open up the ECU and check/smell for leaking capacitors.

I checked and everything seems to check out but still nothing. I checked the relays by strate wiring the relays like it says to in the manual and they click but hooked back up to the car do nothing. I checked for power from the harness and it is hot not sure why the relays will not click while hooked to the power of the harness. Not sure whats going on? Would also like to know if anyone knows where I can find a turbo manual trans to swap out the automatic with, found one local but its an all wheel drive and do not know if it can be used as an two wheel drive or not?

Which prongs would you connect to jump the fuel pump relay?
Remove FP relay and jumper socket pin 3 or 4 (both are black/white wires and are connected together) to socket pin 1 (black/blue). This is exactly what the relay does and you will need ignition key on for power. Or you can just connect +12V (but should go thru a 10 amp fuse for safety) to pin 1 (black/blue) which powers FP directly .

I checked everything that i could think of and finally decided to just go ahead and change the crank sensor and the car started right up so apparently the crank sensor does cut out the fuel pump and the fire. thanks again for the advice.

is there a such thing as an injector relay? my car is getting spark and fuel to the rail but not to the injectors and they flowed fine about a month ago when it stopped running. the part number for the part I need is E8T08474 and everytime I search for it nothing comes up at all. If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.

is there a such thing as an injector relay? my car is getting spark and fuel to the rail but not to the injectors and they flowed fine about a month ago when it stopped running. the part number for the part I need is E8T08474 and everytime I search for it nothing comes up at all. If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.

No there isn't an injector relay.

A search of E8T08474 shows that it is the MPI relay for a 1995 MY DSM.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...what-thing-imasen-e8t08474.html#post151387017

I don't know why you had problems searching. I used google and got several pages.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back