The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Mevotech failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlanZero

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
Easton, Pennsylvania
Just wanted to let you guys know my mevotech tie rods failed after only about 2k miles/ 7 months of DD.
Ironically both the inner and outer ends on the same side turned to crap. I can pull on the stud and watch the ball move in and out.
I got these after reading several good reviews, and I was impressed with the overall appearance and packaging. What really worries me is the fact that I replaced one of my LCAs with the same brand!
I have to look into warranty info for this product but that's not the point. They should not be failing this quick.

I used to always go with Moog, but I've been reading a lot of negative reviews since they apparently moved production to China. Not sure if that's even true. I was trying to get something produced in North America, which is not an easy find these days.
As for OEM I've been completely jaded after the recall replaced LCAs failed after two years of light driving. And yes, they were replaced after the car was lowered 1.5".
Now, I was forced to buy autozone tie rods. At least when they go bad I can just run down the street and get new ones.
Side note, I ordered a beck/arnley LCA to replace the mevotech. I'm not taking my chances.

That is odd I've used mevotech on several vehicles and not any issues. Thanks for sharing that though I'll keep closer attention them now

I have been very disappointed with my Moog (Federal Mogul after market division) purchases for a couple years now. Have had numerous failures within a couple three months or less after install. I have since switched to Beck/Arnley or Dorman & so far these look of better quality & seem to be holding up.

Mevotech is the cheapest of the cheap. You pay for what you get. Working in shops, these things failed regularly on any vehicle. Almost always within the first year too. I would recommend to go OEM or use Dorman/Moog. I have never had a problem with any of their products.

It is also important that when installing new parts, they are torqued properly. Also, if ball joints are failing prematurely, check the knuckle where the ball joints passes through. Lastly, suspension parts often work together, what may be causing premature wear could be indicative of another worn component. Many forget these cars are at least 16 years old. Bushings will be concern as some of them you cannot see.

Yeah I'm only dropped 1.5", and I damn near replaced every suspension component (just new ball joints up top), new sway bar, links,etc. My steering rack has a tiny leak but I literally only drive 5 miles a day.
I lucked out and found a beck/arnley new old stock tie rod end for $15 on eBay. Made in England.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back