The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Megasquirt ECU, hmmm...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I have put about 200 miles on the car with the MS1Extra. I've run the logs through megalogviewer, and am using that tune for now. It does a pretty good job, and the car feels better every time I create a new msq with it.

Wideband and knocksense on the way.

I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing their msq file for me to look at. I don't want to use it directly on my car, just want to get an idea of what a spark and fuel table should kinda look like. ;) Preferably pump gas tunes.

Sorry dude but I only have MSII MSQ's that have the 16x16 tables. And really the setup is dependant on the actual car and boost levels for that car. Like I like to have 3 rows around the boost target pretty close in the KPA range so I can get some more fine tuning and also allow for weather changes. I think I only used 5 rows below 100 KPA for cruise and also am using target AFR with of course AFR talbes that allow for a very lean cruise and decent power for pre spool. The car gets 28.5 MPG on 8.3:1 Weisco's, HKS 280 cams and a HX35 turbo. And that was with only 30 minutes to do actual tuning. Once you get your WBO2 it will be very easy to tune. I personally won't install a MS into any car if the customer won't spend the extra $200 for a LC1 or some other WBO2. It just doesn't make any sense and you don't get the full benefits out of the MS.

So I have put about 200 miles on the car with the MS1Extra. I've run the logs through megalogviewer, and am using that tune for now. It does a pretty good job, and the car feels better every time I create a new msq with it.

Wideband and knocksense on the way.

I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing their msq file for me to look at. I don't want to use it directly on my car, just want to get an idea of what a spark and fuel table should kinda look like. ;) Preferably pump gas tunes.

Next time I get on my laptop, I will load up my buddies maps. I never got them complete, but they were great for normal off boost driving and I was starting to fine tune the wot part.

Really it's the spark maps I'm interested in. I can figure fuel with the WB on my own, just want to look at timing curves for a turbo 4cyl. The email address in my profile is current if you just want to email them to me. TIA!:talon:

hey guys, im looking at a ems for my car. i dont have the money for link or an eprom, but i want good tuning. i know some of you guys run this on your cars, just looking for feedback and some specifics. what boards, chips, etc are you running/ recommend/ work for our cars? i have a 2g 6 bolt swap. i would like to buy one system and be done but dont have a ton to spend so this seemed like a good option.

sorry if this has already been covered in this forum just didnt want to read through 5 pages.

If you can't afford DSMLink then you can't afford the MegaSquirt. To do it right requires you to buy a WB02 and of course the know how to put the unit together. And if you don't feel like reading just 132 posts to find out some info then the MS is totally out of your league. You would end up with problems and not wanting to read to learn how to set it up properly the first time and people in the MS community are generous, but you also have to help yourself.

That is just my off the cuff observation. The MS runs great for pretty much everyone that learns how to build, tweak, and tune them. Their is only a few people that I've come across that just gave up and it was a lack of knowlage that really got in their way. Expect to read up on the MS for at least 10-15 hours. Plan on spending 12 hours putting it together being your fist time. I can build one in under 2 hours but I also don't bother using the injector circuits so that cut's a ton off the PCB.

And I've personally built a MSII for a buddy who has a 6 bolt in a 2G. Car runs like a raped ape but you would have seen that several posts up.

If you want cheap easy tunning get DSMLink. It's the AOL of EMS's IMO. And doesn't require a lot of reading to learn how to use it.

Edit: And FYI I've spent over 200+ hours reading up on the MSnS, MSII, MSIII, GPIO, USM ect. Their is a wealth of knowlage on the MSEFI boards.

i dont have a problem with reading or learning, i had just gotten home from work and wanted to get in on this thread. sorry for that.

im not scared to read up on and learn about the msII, i actually enjoy that part of the project.also the price should be less than link because even with link you still need a wbo2 which is another 200 on top of the 700 for link/eprom.

Well I just wanted to let you know it is involved. And don't be thinking it will be a lot cheaper than Link. It will run about the same price maybe more once you get a harness, sensor's, welding on the IC piping for the IAT, the 4 bar MAP sensor, Tap for the CLT, WB02, and a few other things as well that I'm sure I'm forgetting. But I'm saying it all adds up. So you really should expect to pay about as much. Although it will be a tad cheaper maybe.

And didn't mean to go off on ya. It's just I see it to often and in the end it's the product that get bad mouthed when it's the operator that is in error.

Sorry i havent been on in a bit..but for an update, the MS2 has been running 100% perfect, and has done great all winter long. Runs just like, or better than stock. The MS2 has been working the stock IAC stepper just fine all winter as well. I had to increase the step size and min number of steps to move, and jumper the 2 power resistors on the underside of the MS2 card..It's worked fine ever since, and have not burned up the IAC or anything like that. The only real issue i have is that the commanded steps doesnt go to my cranking value at hot start sometimes, but thats nothing to do with the stepper itself, it's doing what its told to. I cant replicate this behavior on the bench, so i'm still trying to figure that out.

I have no issue what so ever getting good AFR's. I've gotten almost 30 MPG on the highway, at 70-75 mph, running 14.7:1 AFR. I run closed loop fueling off of my PLX wideband, and use the AFR target table for anything below several PSI of boost. Works wonderful.

I would strongly suggest for anyone interested in the MS, to run the MS2, as it has more functionality, and much higher injector resolution..should help for those running much larger injectors.

For those that wonder about reliability, i've driven on 3 and 4+ hour drives, each way, on the MS2. It's never left me stranded, or ever had any odd running issues. Build it good, wire it right, it's as reliable as any other ECU out there.

The MS def is not for everyone. The biggest obstacle to overcome is the learning curve. You MUST educate yourself on how it works, how to wire, and tune it. There is NO way around this. You have to learn how to use it. For those that cant handle this, or dont want to spend the effort involved, something like the Link may be a better option. But the amount of control and tunability the MS offers, well, it just cant be beat for the price. The MS is a DIY system, and you MUST have that attitude towards it if you are wanting to go that route.

I have my MS1 with the v3 board up and running great aswell.

I love this unit!

2 days ago I got my launch control circuit wired, and hooked it to my clutch switch.

coolest thing ever.

I got a local guy that had his running for a year to help me out with the constants, and dial in my timing for spark control.

after that I was on my own.

at a cruse I can lean my car out around 15.8 without bucking and save tonnes of gas

I love being able to remove my maf and not have to worry about venting, or even having a GM maf in the way! All straight through plumbing lots more room in my engine bay.

I strongly agree with the statement above.
This unit is amazing but you have to take time, and focus to learn how everything works.

XtremeRS2gnt, I'm glad you were able to get things working, even the IAC. I think that was the most underutilized part of the MS2, and the most underdeveloped.

Which Accel enrich settings are you using? I'm curious as I'm about to start doing some tuning with it soon.

XtremeRS2gnt, I'm glad you were able to get things working, even the IAC. I think that was the most underutilized part of the MS2, and the most underdeveloped.

Which Accel enrich settings are you using? I'm curious as I'm about to start doing some tuning with it soon.

What specific settings are you looking for? I've only used normal TPS acceleration enrichment, and have had great success with it. Some say MAP based accell is better, but i've never tried it out, as TPS has served me well. Each setup and injector size will make for different tuning values though..

Just recently, the MS2 Extra code was updated for better IAC closed loop function. This means the MS will be able to control the stepper in closed loop fashion, and keep a target idle speed. Will work great for things like sudden electrical load, A/C, ect. I have yet to try it out. I really dont have a need for it, as my laser doesnt have A/C anymore, and it's a manual trans.

Yah, I was hoping somebody had the EAE working on a 4g63 so I could use as baseline settings. EAE is intriguing, but complex. Calculating how much fuel is pooling inside the intake manifold and how fast it's being sucked into the intake is some high tech stuff I must say. All to maintain the correct AFR's at all times. I don't think the stock ECU compensates like that.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten very far with the MS2 yet besides initial testing in the car. Hopefully in the next few weeks or month, I will.

What specific settings are you looking for? I've only used normal TPS acceleration enrichment, and have had great success with it. Some say MAP based accell is better, but i've never tried it out, as TPS has served me well. Each setup and injector size will make for different tuning values though..

Just recently, the MS2 Extra code was updated for better IAC closed loop function. This means the MS will be able to control the stepper in closed loop fashion, and keep a target idle speed. Will work great for things like sudden electrical load, A/C, ect. I have yet to try it out. I really dont have a need for it, as my laser doesnt have A/C anymore, and it's a manual trans.

You will have a need to try it soon though :) Brandy's car will still have a/c and I would like to try it if at all possible.

Update:
I've had the megasquirt 2 extra (ms2extra) installed and running on my car excusively for the past week. I've been running it at 2 squirts and am experiencing some lean tip in while trying to tune the EAE. It looks like running 4 squirts should help with that, so I'll be retuning my ve map and see if I can run 4 squirts. The last time I tried this early on, the car would idle like crap. I think the injector pw was too low for the 720's when it was cold. Either that or one of my 720's is slow on opening. I need to play with the injector dead times some more to see if I can get it to work at idle.

EAE is a tricky thing to tune, but I think I finally have the theory down.

I'm planning on putting in the boost control circuit and use it to control the boost, and utilize the map switching feature to run meth injection using the map switching as a failsafe.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back