The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Megan Racing Street Coilovers Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is a review of the Megan Racing brand Full Coilover system for the 1G AWD DSM, but should apply to other models.

To ensure that I could make accurate statements, I waited to write this review. I wanted to test the Megan Street series coilovers in multiple environments to see how they performed. I purchased my DSM in July of 2012 equipped with Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers. Since that time I have traveled over 10,000 miles on them, attended six Auto-Cross events, two open lapping days at Circuit Grand Bayou, driven the car through the city streets of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, also driven to each AutoX on the interstate for more than four hours round trip, and driven to the road course and back using back country roads.

The Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers for the 1G DSM are available for purchase around $900. This $900 purchase includes: Dampers, Springs, Camber Plates, Valve Adjuster Knobs, Mounting Hardware, and a set of Adjuster Wrenches to Raise/Lower the Ride Height. They come painted in vibrant metallic colors, and resist rusting. They require no modifications or fabrication to install. The front Coilovers are Plug-in-Play, but the rears do not have a mounting point for the rear brake line, and will require a tie-rap, or special clamp.

My initial thoughts on the Megan Racing Coilovers were that they were impressive. It was a selling point to the car, so I truly believed I had something special. After my first drive on open roads, I soon realized that was not true. The previous owner attempted to alleviate the poor street performance of the Megan's by turning the adjustment knobs to full soft. This caused the car to behave, in the best way I can describe, like a Pogo-stick, but with none of the enjoyment. Every bump, undulation, change in surface, or pretty much just moving caused the car to bounce in the most annoying number of ways. The streets in Baton Rouge are a workout for any suspension system, which the Megan's honestly were not a match for.

To expound on this a bit further: I attempted to adjust the valve knobs to a harder setting. I currently run Medium or 16 Clicks from full soft of the 32 available(1 being full soft, 32 being full hard). This lessened the torment slightly, but still did not make it tolerable; full hard was unbearable. At all times the car will bounce. You may encounter a mild rocking chair sensation if the road is of high quality, to the sensation of one of those horse rides for kids outside of a Walmart, even to the point of being a Catapult; yes a Catapult.

So the Megan's essentially behave like bull that has to use the bathroom, unless the road conditions are perfect. My experience with the Megan's at the three different AutoX pads I visited, was actually favorable. Because of the near perfect surface of an AutoX pad, and to an extent the nature of AutoX the Megan's were not a nuisance. Though if the Megan's actually improved performance over a stock setup I cannot determine as of now. However, my open-lapping day experience with the Megan's was a like a much overdue dentist appointment. Everything bad about the Megan Coilovers is revealed on a road course. Whether a mild bounce, or hard bounce it was constant through every turn. It produced something akin to a floating feeling. From my two experiences the car rarely felt as if was actually connected to the ground. I honestly could not wait to get out of it.

For reference: On this very same road course I have driven a 2003 Cadillac CTS, street tires, with non-sport suspension, and a 1985 Corolla GTS with a F20 Swap with Tokico Blues, TRD springs, and Falken Azenis tires. The Corolla performed extremely well, which it should. However the CTS performed better than my DSM at every corner; it also performs better on the street.

The Megan's do have some redeeming qualities, which must be noted. The design of the Megan Coilovers should be commended, as has been by notable forum members who approve of the design as well. For the $900 price you receive a fully adjustable coilover that comes with top mounted camber plates, that easily allow adjustment by loosening four screws. Another redeeming quality of the Megan's is that for ride height adjustment there is a threaded body that screws in and out. This means you are able to adjust the ride height safely without losing suspension travel, or compressing the spring. From what I have read on the forums this is a win. So for a person who is only concerned about a lowered ride height or a stance, you may enjoy these.

In conclusion there are some useful features of the Megan's that should be applauded for its price. However there are other points in which the Coilovers fall short, performing as a good street suspension system being one of them. I liken them to this example: Imagine being given a dial control box that has an intensity from 1 - 10. Now imagine the dial controls a person wearing a steel toe boot kicking you between the legs; 1 being the softest setting, with 10 being the hardest. No matter where you set that dial you will not enjoy it, and even if you run the intensity at the softest setting, you may be able tolerate it for a while but eventually you will be looking for the off switch.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey guys I meant to add at the end feel free to PM me any questions, or disagreements about my review. If you are considering them and have a specific question or a detail I left out PM me as well. I will try to help you out as best I can.

I also plan to sell the Megan's mentioned in the review after they are replaced.

Thanks!

I wanted to provide an update.

I recently replaced the Megan Coilovers for KYB GR-2's with stock springs. I have front and rear aftermarket stabilizer, and sway bars installed on my car. While installing the KYB's I discovered that the sway bars were more than just decoration. They added a level of stiffness and rigidity that I did not expect. The aftermarket sway bars may have impacted the way the Megans were able to perform. Though my current setup is a night and day difference in ride quality, consistency, and predictability compared to the Megans.

So just to be fair to the Megans, I wanted to let everyone that this was a factor. But even with this revelation I would still never try the Megans without the sway bars.

Since my KYB, Stock Spring install the only negatives I have are: Ride height cannot be adjusted, and I lost the ability to adjust the caster(The technician who performed my alignment informed me of this issue)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back