The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Mechanical adventure awaits

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mech Addict

Supporting Member
Jun 9, 2019
Jackson, Wyoming
Hi all fellow wrenchers,
I looked for some time for a nice 1g awd. After surprisingly fruitless results for several years, I settled for an ebay listing that had an “optimistic” description. Flew to Florida, finished the deal, and drove 2,400 miles in 3 days back to Wyoming. Car ran pretty well, although fuel gague n/f, head light opening n/f, cruise n/f. Reminded me of a motorcycle I used to ride. Fun to get to know the car, and to see again our great country.

Had some very poor cold starting, and classic symptoms of fuel delivery issues around Omaha (which mysteriously fixed itself when I stopped to search for a parts store in rural Nebraska on a Sunday). Then lost power steering in Cheyenne, which came back with fresh fluid in Rock Springs, only to leak out on my driveway at home. Two tires went flat a day after my return, but not during the drive.

While I realize that this site is geared towards folks who want to customize their dsm, I’m actually looking to get mine back to a like new-ish stock runner. At nearly 30 years old (the car, I’m older) it’s easy to forget what a breakthrough this car was when introduced. The formula is still solid:
Turbo 4, intercooled, fuel injected, around 200hp
Awd (I live in a SNOWY climate)
4-wheel independent suspension
4-wheel disc brakes
around 3,000 lb car

Only not many sporty coupes like this; now mostly sedan based but spiced up with racy wings and what not. The closest car to compare that came first is the Audi Quattro, which was slower, more expensive (even in 1986), and less reliable.

I feel like the project I’ve got ahead is still fairly substantial, even if not as technically groundbreaking, and I will rely on the guidance and advice of the many dsm authorities I’ve read on this site. I’m ready to wrench!

Welcome! That's quite the trip story, sounds like a fun time, I love those "roadkill" style journeys!
There's quite a few on the forum that love to do the pure stock restoration, not a thing wrong with that. @chrysler kid would appreciate I'm sure!

Look forward to updates, make sure to fill out your profile when you can (even if it's stock :thumb:) and we're all here to help!

Welcome Sir!! Nothing wrong with keeping her stock. Just don't put 20" wheels on her LOL.

Agreed, though 19s do look ok on 2gs IMO. I wouldn't put them on, but still haha

I’m quite fond of the stock turbine-blade 16’s that came on mine. Has anyone heard of these wheels separating rim from center-casting. One of mine seems to have a 1/8” to 1/4” gap there that the other 3 do not. They all need refinished, and I will examine the construction more closely when I get them cleaned up. I have purchased a fifth one from ebay, just in case.

Hey man! You just cruised thru my neck of the woods:rocks: Ive never been to Jackson but I love Wyoming, Your car looks pretty clean from the outside:thumb: I was lucky enough to find my 90 GSX locally in pretty good shape back in 2013. It was tastefully modded and been a joy ever since. I’m excited for your new journey! These cars are SO rewarding when you put in the wrench time, welcome to the site!:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back