The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

mechanic. put timing belt on backwards :@

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

project95talon

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2004
Sudbury, Ontario_Canada
What a day..sigh

So I had my water pump replaced...mechanic took like 20 tries to put my timing belt back on, and it turns out its on backwards or reversed.

Driving down the highway oil filter comes lose from the vibrations (which he said were normal when I went back twice!) oil everywhere...managed to pull right away so I think all is well. Towed the car to a dsm shop in the city 300$ later - The mechanic said sure enough the timing belt is on wrong which caused the vibrations.

Obviously Im going back to the first mechanic to bi*** at him...towtruck $ and fix the problem!

I also noticed my electronics started messing up after the incident..We put filter back on and new oil..started fine, but dash lights would go on at random times, cd player wouldn't work, cruise stopped working etc etc. What could that be?

*sorry for the spelling etc..I'm kinda upset atm* Any help or advice would be appreciated.
thanks all

project95talon said:
What a day..sigh

So I had my water pump replaced...mechanic took like 20 tries to put my timing belt back on, and it turns out its on backwards or reversed.

Driving down the highway oil filter comes lose from the vibrations (which he said were normal when I went back twice!) oil everywhere...managed to pull right away so I think all is well. Towed the car to a dsm shop in the city 300$ later - The mechanic said sure enough the timing belt is on wrong which caused the vibrations.

Obviously Im going back to the first mechanic to bi*** at him...towtruck $ and fix the problem!

I also noticed my electronics started messing up after the incident..We put filter back on and new oil..started fine, but dash lights would go on at random times, cd player wouldn't work, cruise stopped working etc etc. What could that be?

*sorry for the spelling etc..I'm kinda upset atm* Any help or advice would be appreciated.
thanks all

That sucks man:notgood: I guess the guys at Wal-Mart aren't the best Mechanics. LOL J/K

IM sorry to hear that and hope your car will be ok. If I were you I would talk to the shop owner and tell him what happened and say "Lawsuite" and tell them you are going to get a Lawyer if it's not fixed correctly and in the same condition as when you brought it in to them. Most likely the shop will fix your vehicle and probably use a better mechanic to do the job right, trust me I worked in a shop for 3 years and seen alot of stuff and one thing they will give out for free is labor hours on the mechanic. Just go in there with a pair a tell them whats up. They should listen to you. Good luck

project95talon said:
mechanic took like 20 tries to put my timing belt back on, and it turns out its on backwards or reversed.

well, there's really no way to put the actual timing belt on backwards or reversed. sounds like the rear balance shaft is out of phase because they didn't line it up correctly before putting on the timing belt

I forget what the mechanic said... something about one of the belts being put on reversed or backwards..

thx for the advice so far

The belt can go any direction as long as the teeth are in the gears.. as for your problem im sure he didnt line everything up right.. hopefully the only issue is replacing the belt again..

The clarification should be...what was done to the car? Just a water pump change WITHOUT changing the timing belt components or did the shop do a TB job plus the water pump? If all that was done was to replace the water pump and not the timing belt components, then yes it is possible to put the belt on "backward", meaning that it isn't rotating the same direction it originally was before the water pump change. That's not a good thing to do, especially if you have about 10-15K plus on the belt.

Clarification is needed.

As far as your lights go, make sure you still have all you heatshields on (EXHman, PSpump, O2 housing) and that you didnt get oil in/on your alternator. You may be shorting it with fluid or burning it with heat.

Appears the rear balance shaft is out of phase - mechanics fault. He fixed it but won't do anything about the alt + leaking oil from oil filter housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back