The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Measurement Needed: Hub Center to Caliper Edge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90laserRSfwd

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2007
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Long story short, I need someone with a 1g (FWD or early AWD) that has the small brakes (single piston OEM calipers, rotor size, and stock mounting, basically stock small brakes), to post a picture, with the measurement from the hub center (where the axle comes threw the hub), to the outer edge of the caliper (where the inside of the wheel would make contact with caliper if mounted).

I'm trying to sort out whether or not, a certain wheel will fit my car if I swap from twin piston brakes to the smaller single pistons. I need these measurements front and rear. Meaning stock rear brakes and single piston front brakes. My car isn't close to me, and being as such, I can't physically install the wheel onto my car. Thanks in advance.

See attached pic to see what mean by "outer caliper and inner wheel". The gap that exists in that pic (distance the brake caliper is from hitting the wheel). I need a measurement from the hub center to the caliper's outer edge. (trying to see if I can go to a wheel that's smaller, diameter wise).

Attachments

• IMG_2220.JPG
    IMG_2220.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 69
Here's an example of what I'm looking for (although I'd need the parts mounted on the car, and single piston, as these are the dual piston calipers). It's hard to see in the pic, but it's about 8 3/8's inches from the outer part of the caliper to the center of the hub (rotor in this example). Hope this clears things up for those that can help...

Attachments

• IMG_2918.JPG
    IMG_2918.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 42
Yes. They are the old version of the alumastar's (low pad). 15x10 with 5" back space. They are NOT the 3 piece newer version that clears 11" brakes. They came off a fox body mustang. The dual piston brakes I know for a fact do not fit. I have them. I'm wondering if I swap to single piston brakes (smaller caliper and rotor), if they will clear. Does your car have stock rear brakes? I also need the rear measurements if you can get those. If not I understand. I can measure myself once the cars back together (couple more weeks). I wish I could find a local with the small brakes to measure myself, but the 1g's I know off all run larger (dual piston, 3KGT, and the like front brakes)..

Don't forget there are two versions of single caliper brakes. Early 90 really small. And then later 90 to 92

I've owned 46 DSM's to date, and have never seen size differences other then the single and dual piston setups. (obviously the pad or rotor would be a different part number if there were different size brakes). Can you provide a link? I've had FWD and AWD cars. One made in April of 1989. Never heard of there being to different sized "single piston" brakes. Also, to back my findings, NO auto part store I've ever bought brakes from (O' Reily's, Autozone, Advance Auto, US Auto Parts, NAPA, and Car Quest), have a separate listing for pads / rotors for different single piston brakes. I'm not trying to come off as a dick, I just want to know that I'm not getting the wrong parts when I order stuff. I've also ordered from extremepsi, STM, and other supporting vendors, and all of their websites show a single listing for single piston setups..

I do know there are early 1995 cars with vented rear rotors verses solid rotors, but that's the only odd ball braking differences I know about. Not that this applies to anything I'm asking for in this thread..

Last edited:
I need the rear measurements as well. From what I can tell, EVERY 1g AWD had the same rear brakes from the factory. If anyone can get a measurement or confirm/deny that fact I would appreciateit..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back