The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

md insoection help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizie

Proven Member
Jul 17, 2014
hagerstown, Maryland
Im looking for a md inspector for my 2g gst. I just failed for no cat, no egr, passenger window tint too dark and driver tint strip too low, non oem lights? No 3rd brake light, rust on rear brake lines (couldn't find any), and no power steering pump with a power rack. I just wanted to see what it would fail for, figured the cat but didn't know about the power steering. I called them and asked and they were like aww just bring it in and will check it out. You may pass if it has a manual rack...sure enough what do ya know, failed.

I could fix everything but there is a small issue, it has a after market 3" exhaust with no cat and after market tubular headers. I have no idea where the EGR is suppose to come from. Like for my truck it comes right out of the headers but the car, I bought it like this and dont know what the stock set up is.

The p.s I can reinstall because I have the pump right here. The headlights I was reading I should be able to pass if I stuck a orange reflector on the corners of the headlights. The third brake light I was going to just rig up a l.e.d strip on the spoiler or something, not really sure yet. The brake lines I was going to replace if needed but I really didn't see any rust so maybe I will paint them or something. But that still leaves me with the egr. I read that it comes off a solenoid to the intake and releases at above a certain rpm. I see this line (I think) and see a capped nipple on my aem intake pipe and can reconnect this no problem. But where is the exhaust coming from then if I dont have a egr anywhere on my full exhaust...?

The car is a beast. cammed out with a 16g @22psi and all the bells and whistles but I cant even drive it. First month I got it, I tuned it and walked three muscle cars a srt4 and a sti. Now she sits hungry for her next meal.

Last edited by a moderator:
car looks familiar, you run it out on 40
let me know if you need any mechanical help, i have about 15 years experience on these and work at a shop. Have a few thousand horsepower sitting down here at my place now LOL

Yeah I do run it on 40 but since my tag expired I don't I've been crazy busy building a awd 15g tt stealth and havent really worried about the inspection for the gst since I thought I was going to get a good ticket.

The past couple days I have been going through the car for a re inspect. So far I did third brake light, got a catted exhaust, cleared the tint, and am at the power steering pump install (bought car with out it, adds 8hp tho so I didn't mind.) Inspection however didnt and said I either need a manual rack or p.s installed, so I went with the p.s since my wife drives this also. Two days ago I just realized that I dont have a p.s bracket for the pump and havent had the time to get one from the junk yard with my family and holidays and all. I have been trying to get one shipped from a various people parting their car out and it is near impossible to get someone to go out of their way for such a low value part. I even had one guy say why dont you get it from the junk yard...? I was like really dude? You're trying to part a car out right? Thats like going to a restaurant and them telling you, you know you can just make the food yourself for cheaper... hahahaha, some people. Anyways I'm close but still unsure about some of the emissions stuff.

Im thinking I may buy a built 6bolt for this from a local guy, said it was build with ross pistons, eagle h rods, acl bearings, 2mm oversized supertech valves n springs, titanium retainers, all arp bolts, but has a oem crank and is good for 750hp. Long block for 2000 obo. I have a 70mm t3 I want to run on it but am scared with my stock 7bolt block and apexi afc. My wife does not want me to do all of this but her opinion rarely stops me. It always comes down to if shell leave me or not and I know she wont, so Im good. LOL Do you think thats a good buy or could my stock block take the 70mm

For the windshield tint, do you know if they measure five inched down from the top inside of the car or outside of the car. That makes almost a one inch difference for me.

You driving a stealth over there too?

there should be a small mark on the inside left corner of the windshield, and there can not be anything below that line.
your building a stealth and you don't know who i am LOL
got about 15 plus years on them and I did nothing but build stealths and 3000gts at my place for about 8 years. I still do them, but at the shop I work at now instead of at my place. there are 2 built 15g cars here at the shop now, and 4 more at my place, including an 1100 horsepower stealth, a 16g car, and a 700hp mkiii supra, down off of downsville pike.

there should be a small mark on the inside left corner of the windshield, and there can not be anything below that line.
your building a stealth and you don't know who i am LOL
got about 15 plus years on them and I did nothing but build stealths and 3000gts at my place for about 8 years. I still do them, but at the shop I work at now instead of at my place. there are 2 built 15g cars here at the shop now, and 4 more at my place, including an 1100 horsepower stealth, a 16g car, and a 700hp mkiii supra, down off of downsville pike.

Dude that is freaking awesome. So I just got my stealth together yesterday and I can't get it to run right. As soon as I try to accelerate it bogs out and runs way lean. Obviously I am not getting fuel when I need it but I dont know why. I bought this car with unknown problems for $2700 150k and it had a recently rebuilt short block. The car ran okay but would smoked like a freight train. Pulled okay until 3k and it broke up. I assumed the turbos were blown and drove it all the way home from n.j shore. So when I did the turbos I sent them off to midwest turbo for machining back to specs. I changed the headers & turbo down pipes (obx), cx racing intake pipes, K&N filter, MBC straight to the watsegates, I did a walbro 255 hotwire setup I installed evo 560cc injectors (car had stock with 15g setup?) I tried to get all evo 8 injectors but someone did not know what they were doing and sent me evo 9 instead of 8. I read in the forum I should be fine with a 8&9 mixmatch. When I tried to change my fuel pump I broke the top tube on the sender (it was donso with rust) I replaced that with a N/A sender and my walbro 255 and broke the n/a sender tube, wow, smh.. I used a high pressure fuel line, flared the lines and used double hose clamps on each side. I did notice the car already had a walbro when I went to put mine in (doh) I also took notice to a large amount of debris in the bottom of the fuel tank (solidified chunks to me looked like previous old fuel deposits) But the car did go through a whole tank of gas on the way home from n.j so I figured it would be fine. Other then these things I didn't touch anything else.

Now the car does not smoke but it wont accelerate worth a damn, even worse then when I bought it... I did add fuel additive for the way home from n.j but I dont see that making it run that much better.

So what I am asking for is where you think I should start? I was going to try to change the fuel filter, maybe clean the tank out or add a cleaning additive, I was thinking my injectors may need cleaned (bought them used) Maybe I have a small hole in the fuel line? Or my fuel pump is bad because it does whine unusually loud imo..? Its just strange because it idles fine. I do have to add to my safc trim to even get it to run which I think is strange due to the fact it has 560cc injectors and 15g turbos, and with my eclipse I minus trim and I too had upgraded injectors and turbo. Could the safc be hooked up wrong? Maybe I should do a boost leak test? These are all things going through my mind. Maybe a little direction could save me some days of work. Thanks for any advice and hopefully we get to meet soon.

P.M me your number, maybe we can link up and you can help me out. Thanks bro

It was my fuel pump o-ring, it was pinched and the pressure was not building. That is what the pump whine was too, bad seal. So I got it fixed and now the car drives but not to to well. Everything goes great until you try to boost it up and then it breaks up and goes way rich. Yeah, I was leaning way out and fixed that, and now I'm going way rich...? To me this seems like a classic boost leak so I am going to try to find equipment laying around here to do a leak test. Wish me luck my legendary friend.

Okay I found and fixed one boost leak but it still is missing air at wot. You know what else it is doing that is strange? The speed does not show and or sometimes bounces around and the car idles like crap. It sounds like it is breathing and when I'm driving it and come to a stop the idle drops off the chart and the car cuts out. I am going to try to find the ecu and check it for damage. Something just doesn't seem right with the car. Its like no matter where I put my safc trim at eventually the cars a/f ratio will start to fluctuate and then I will try to mess with the tuner but to no avail.

yea sounds like you just have to rule things out still. I had a few with debris in the tank that would cause issues, could have clogged the fuel filter as well. boost leaks, bad ecu, bad mas, bad coil/wires/plugs, timing off, all could cause similar issues. speedometer not working could be anything in the circuit, speedo cluster, wiring, or speed sensor in the trans. I used to have a ridiculous amount of stuff here. Last summer I got tired of it, 15 years of accumulated parts, so I scrapped about 14,000 total pounds of 3s parts. Still have some random stuff left though. I should be working on some cars at the house Sunday if you want to stop by. are you using a wideband o2 like Aem or innovate?
number is 301-991-6501

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back