The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Maybe you guys can help me? My 94' Nissan pickup won't start!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAT01

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
PennsylvaniaUS
My 94' ka24e 4-cyl hardbody will not start up! It turns over fine, but will not come to life. I've replaced the spark plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. They were changed this past summer. The truck does have spark, so the coil is alright(i'm guessing). The ends of the plugs do seem a little blackish. The truck did give off a bucking/hesitation before it finally just died on me. Any ideas on what I might be able to check prior to taking to the mechanic and getting ripped off? The fuel pump does kick on too. That was replaced last year as well with the fuel filter. After I crank it for a while(10 sec) I do smell a gas odor. Do you think it could perhaps be the ECU? I know our cars show similar problems and many times it's the ECU that's the culprit. Think that could be it? Thanks for any help you may be able to voice.

Sorry I can't help much, but since there aren't any replies yet I'll give my opinion. Whenever you're trying to get an engine to start, you need
  1. Spark (which you've checked)
  2. Air/Fuel Mixture (the problem, IMO)
  3. Compression

Good luck.

Well, I do smell gas after I've cranked it for a while. The thing would studder on and off for a while, just while driving down the road, and all of a sudden it studdered and quit on me. I gave it afew hours and gave it WOT and tried her one last time. She then started, not very willingly i might ad, but she started. Then, when I got home, I had her runing for no more than 30 secs, and she quit. That was the last time she started. She hasn't started since. How would I absolutely make sure that it's getting fuel? Thanks for any help.

Is there gas in the fuel tank? Maybe the pump sending unit got hung up somehow and it says you are full. Defiantly sounds likea fuel problem to me. you can pull the fuel line off at the Carbeautor (it is carberated right? ) and put it in a container and turn the key to run position. Good luck!

There's nothing wrong with Nissan pickups. They've been the most reliable truck I've ever owned. My 4x4(has the problem) has got 192,000 miles on it. My other nissan 2wd pickup has 246,000 miles on it. It's the basic model too. No PS, AC, or anything. That one is a real trooper and has never left me stranded. This 4x4 is another story though. The ka24e engine in it is fuel injected. I'm pretty sure it's getting gas, but how can one actually TELL that it is indeed getting fuel? I let it sit for a day, then go out there to try and start it, but it just seems like it's about to start up, but then just keeps cranking. I do smell fuel though after I've cranked it for an extended period of time. Thanks for any help fellas

There are such things as injector testers, but I think they just check whether or not the injectors open/close at the correct times (don't quote me on that). Your fuel system might have a fitting for a pressure gauge, I think most do. Other than that I'm not sure how to check for fuel delivery, but I'm sure there must be a way.

NAT01 said:
There's nothing wrong with Nissan pickups. They've been the most reliable truck I've ever owned. My 4x4(has the problem) has got 192,000 miles on it. My other nissan 2wd pickup has 246,000 miles on it. It's the basic model too. No PS, AC, or anything. That one is a real trooper and has never left me stranded. This 4x4 is another story though. The ka24e engine in it is fuel injected. I'm pretty sure it's getting gas, but how can one actually TELL that it is indeed getting fuel? I let it sit for a day, then go out there to try and start it, but it just seems like it's about to start up, but then just keeps cranking. I do smell fuel though after I've cranked it for an extended period of time. Thanks for any help fellas

How about what I said. That would tell if the rail is getting fuel. Is it carbureted?

Sounds like a cloged fuel filter.
Iv had the problem on another car.

i had similar problems with my 90 NT eclipse, i changed the fuel pump and fuel filter at the same time and it fixed it. theyre pretty inexpensive parts id say change em both should fix the problem. definately sounds fuel related. if it was an injector problem i would think it would start but just be weird unless somehow all the injectors werent working right which is almost impossible

Well, after I let her sit for two days, I decided to give it another try. To my surprise, she started right up, along with some nice 15 min long lifter clatter. But anyway, I decided to check and use an ECU code page to see if there was anything wrong while she was running. I was attempting the mixture ratio part of the process, and instead of the LEDs flashing at the same time, or having the red LED stay on or blink, just the green LED kept blinking. But then I let off the gas and the thing sounded like she wanted to die again, so I put my foot back on the gas and the red LED started to flash, then it went steady. My check engine light also came on at this time. So I let it stay on for about 30 secs, then decided to turn the truck off and see if I could pull any codes. I got the good ole 5 blink/5 blink code, meaning that nothing was wrong. What's up with this?!?!?! The check engine light is on, but the ECU says there's nothing wrong! The truck starts right back up now, but still has the studder every now and then. I guess I'll grab that fuel filter and throw it in, but I'm get angry and confused at the same time with this truck. Arrrgh!!!! Any of your ideas are appreciated.

P.S. - The code reader site is.... http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/hawaiianhardbody/engine.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back