The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Maybe a CV Boot replacement? Evo III

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bam_evo

Probationary Member
May 7, 2021
Newport News, Virginia
So I recently got my Evo III and did my fluid checks and test drive. One main thing that stuck out to me was when I start from a stop clutch slightly engaged from a stop the engine will jump? I thought maybe engine mounts but the engine seems fine.
I also noticed that when I make close to 90° turns ie right hand turns the cv boot or some joint on my right wheel jumps and is jerky and affect my whole transition to 2nd.
anyone know of this symptom?
Thanks for taking the time to read.

Update* it grabs more to the right than the left but does it both sides. I hear the tires sound like they’re skipping. Possible welded diffs?

A Cusco MZ LSD might show the behaviors you're describing, but we can't diagnose this properly with the information that you've provided. Does it go clunk when turning?

My Evo has been modified and I’m convinced actually competed in Japan. It does clunk when I turn right and not so much toward the left. Again when I’m turning close to 90° or so.

Does it do it in reverse, too? If it's a 1-way LSD causing this, it would stop. If not, could be a 1.5-way diff or the axle, or something else.

Ima check it out I believe it does, along with jumpy front end... maybe grabby clutch like completion (stage 2-3)? Appreciate your responses. Is there something to look for that annotates it’s Cusco LSD?

Ima check it out I believe it does, along with jumpy front end... maybe grabby clutch like completion (stage 2-3)? Appreciate your responses. Is there something to look for that annotates it’s Cusco LSD?

You're not going to be able to see the diff itself without tearing the transmission down. If you pull both axles and can see straight through the hole with no obstruction, it has an LSD. That's all you can do without a teardown. The clutch wouldn't be doing it. A seized transfer case or locked VCU might be able to do what you're describing though. I'd still be awfully suspicious of the engine mounts if they're allowing excessive movement.

Again thanks for your quick responses.
Just received my car and trying to diagnose the issue here def felt a concern of diff or LSD it’s a front drivetrain issue.
Mind me asking which is more beneficial in a rally set up LSD or no lsd this person set up is aggressive and I feel like the jumping feeling could be normal for what’s intended for.

In rally, you want aggressive LSDs because each wheel will always be scrambling for traction. Wheel spin with no LSD is time spent going nowhere, so yes, it would need 1-way or 1.5-way front, quicker locking center diff coupling and an aggressive 1.5-way or 2-way rear LSD for off-road action. A stock Evo is good in gravel and snow to an extent, but you have to tailor the setup to the application, as very few setups are good all-around. Aggressive race setups are going to be brutal for street use.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back