The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved Maximizer lsd install issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesse12345

Proven Member
Jul 30, 2014
Down the block, Minnesota
So I recently got a maximizer lsd for my 95 talon 420a. The ring gear position is about half an inch off, so it doesn't fit properly in the differential. I have no idea if they all are like that but it's frustrating. If any of you knows how to get around this issue I'm all ears.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Clarify yiur post doesn't make sense. That IS the differential so what does the post mean?Doesn't fit in the transmission??
I can't see the other diff fully. Location of the diff will be determined by the bearing not by the relative position of the ring gear mount from a flat surface. Are they the same? Can't tell from that pic.

There both sitting flat and when I put the ring gear on the maximizer one it sits further to the left in the transmission not even coming close to the right side. I couldn't find anything or anyone having this issue and the race can't be shimmed that much to fill in the space.

Not trying to blow you off at all but you may have better luck asking on neons.org The forum is not very active but I think it would be more likely that one of the guys on there has used this differential. Unless maybe @BLACK'98DSM has some insight

Better pics would help. Still can't see the problem in that pic. Yes I see the flange difference but can't see the bearings etc.

It's all good just trying to find out why it's like this the obx one looks like it's got the same spacing issue. If no one has any idea why it's like that I may slinky my way over to the neon guys.

It's all good just trying to find out why it's like this the obx one looks like it's got the same spacing issue. If no one has any idea why it's like that I may slinky my way over to the neon guys.
Just dont tell them your an eclipse. Transmission is the exact same so no reason to stir that pot.

I made the mistake of letting them know that I was asking for an eclipse once and the thread took the usual name calling internet swirl down the toilet which somehow ended with racial slurs and a lot of homophobic innuendos.

I'll post up a pic of it sitting in place it's very odd. Thanks guys for all the help.

That's full contact with the drive gear I dont really have wiggle room but as you can see it's about a half inch off on each side.

Super frustrating to say the least.

I'd say, if the ring gear is fully in contact with the drive gear. And there's no side to side play. And the axles fit nicely without any play or excessive stretching. Just send it. If there's a problem it will be very obvious the first time you drive it. Unless it's only slightly out of tolerances. Then you'll find the metal shavings in the fluid and see progressive issues.

Honestly I would send it if it actually bolted in. The right side isn't even in contact with the bearing (look at the picture not even touching) and the left side won't even sit flush since the ring gear is moved half an inch to the left. I bet money this thing only fits manuals but they say fits auto's to. Thanks for all the help I'm guessing hardly anyone builds these things with the auto.

Um yea I'm willing to bet the autos and manuals have completely different differentials. You should contact the seller and see which one they specify it fitting. Here's a pic of mine from the manual version:

Dang man they probably don't even have one for an auto . I wanted to rip the auto a bit and see what it could do. Looks like I'll be manual swapping if that's the case. This thing had zero traction on 10 pounds so it needs an lsd.

So thats why when everyone asks how to install alot of the posts said just split the case and here I am like you mean take the diff cover off. Lol

This is something I do not recommend doing by any means. But if you really do plan on manual swapping, you could in theory get the diff welded. Your turning radius would suck, you'd eat through tires, and you risk breaking other components of the trans at a high stall. BUT, it would be fun for a little while so you can source an NVT-350 :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back