The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Max torque with Euro GS NA transmission ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJDSM

Probationary Member
Mar 28, 2019
Paris, Europe
Hi guys,

I own a NA Eclipse GS (4G63) from France, I’ll to convert it with a turbocharger (16G) in low pressure (7-9 PSI max).
I need to know the max torque can support the stock transmission, someone can help me ?
Also I’ll must to change clutch but I know flywheels are not the same between 4G63 (smaller) and 4G63T.
Someone know where can I find a renforced clutch for 4G63 NA?

Thank’s everybody !!

Are you turbocharging it? N/A transmissions are always built to handle more than bolt-ons can bring.

This is not always true and not something to depend on, especially 20+ years later when mileage or other abuse is unknown.

@SJDSM what is the model of your transmission? It's usually on the top of the trans bellhousing stamped into a pad, just behind the last cylinder.

Had my N/A trans atached to my 4g63t evo 1 engine running 330 Bhp trashed two clutches but the gearbox is fine a thats with 185000KM and 10 years of abuse they can take quite alot

Are you turbocharging it? N/A transmissions are always built to handle more than bolt-ons can bring.
Ok thank’s guy for your reply!
Yes I started to convert it with some turbo parts (intecooler, piping, exhaust manifold, dumpvalve) next parts I’ll to buy is the turbo, fuel injectors, resistor box...)

This is not always true and not something to depend on, especially 20+ years later when mileage or other abuse is unknown.

@SJDSM what is the model of your transmission? It's usually on the top of the trans bellhousing stamped into a pad, just behind the last cylinder.
I don’t know, I don’t have the car near myself, but that’s OEM transmission of an Eclipse 2G GS 1997 4G63 NA.
I’ll look the stamped soonly!
Thank’s guy and sorry for my bad english :/
Had my N/A trans atached to my 4g63t evo 1 engine running 330 Bhp trashed two clutches but the gearbox is fine a thats with 185000KM and 10 years of abuse they can take quite alot

Ok guy thank’s for your reply, that confirm this transmisssion is hardness ;)

thank you very for yours reply guys !!

someone know if the NA transmission is more shorter than Turbo transmission ??

thank’s a lot !!

The fwd n/a transmissions should be similar dimensions to the turbo. I believe your transmission will be an F5M22, though it's possible that euro n/a 2gs got the F5M33 like turbo fwd cars did.

Report back and let us know what you find on the trans.

The fwd n/a transmissions should be similar dimensions to the turbo. I believe your transmission will be an F5M22, though it's possible that euro n/a 2gs got the F5M33 like turbo fwd cars did.

Ok Guy, I’ll check the code on the transmission, and I’ll come back to inform you.
If that’s the same transmission like the fwd turbo it’s a very good news for me but I have doubt LOL

the eu trans is a f5m33

Hi Guys,

I’ve check the transmission, that’s a F5M33 like you said ;)

I can add some informations about, if anybody need the exact numbers .

F5M31 (4g63 n/a) vs F5M33 (4g63 gst)

Codes are almost similar, except last 4 digits.

M31 is shorter
M33 has a longer gears
They are interchangeable each other on 4g63 engines. I have M31 trans with 225mm clutch plate.

M31 gear ratios (with number of teeths):
1st - 3.538 (46/13)
2nd - 2.125 (34/16)
3rd - 1.360 (34/25)
4th - 1.029 (35/34)
5th - 0.810 (41/12)
R - 3.417 (41/12)

The trans is very short, i believe on 5th gear at 80kmh it goes around 3k rpm… max is about 220 on redline … but imagine it with lsd can be fun racing it uphill 😁

Hi! I think , all the edm 2G has got F5M31 trans.
I have the same.
My dsm now has got a turbo, and ..about 300hp.
With the original , stock F5M31 tranny.
Works well! :)
Yet.. ;-)
Nice. Stock ecu?

No.
Eprom ecu with ecmlink v3.
Unfortunately, now had to reduce boost to 0.9bar.
( because of emissions.. , now car has got cat, stock muffler, egr, all o2 sensors active, stock wg housing ( no open dump ). Ahh.. da car is soo weak.. , 'bout 240 HP , according to ecmlink..

Glad you were able to get it done! And that's still 100hp over stock LOL nothing like building your own car... my first Mitsubishi was a 97 Eagle Talon that I converted to turbo. Loved Mitsubishi ever since

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back