The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Max safe boost? [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im calling BS.

I ran a 14b at 20 psi with the stock 450's and saw 96 IDC.

The small 16g doesnt flow enough at 11 psi to max the injectors out. Theres no way

I'm calling BS too, i'm running 15psi on my 420a turbo and barely seeing 80% duty cycle on 450cc injectors. He must have had it running pig rich for those injectors to be maxxing at 11.

My small 16g often crept to 15psi on 450cc injectors, Walbro 255, and Aeromotive AFPR set to stock 43psi. Zero running issues when doing so and my wideband showed no signs of fuel issues either. The small 16g just doesn't flow enough air at stock boost to max out a working 2g fuel system. Even my 1g MT could run 12psi on an Evo 3 16g without issues, so there's no reason a 2g can't handle a small 16g at stock boost.

If i were you Id focus on a tuning solution and a WB with gauge...FMIC.. exhaust...then fuel upgrades...with whatever gauges you want to run. Thats just how I would do it for what its worth.

Highly, highly, agreed. Do your simple "BPU" upgrades first and take care of breathability, stay away from the expensive exhausts, but no ebay junk for even exhausts (obx is ok occasionally), get your FMIC complete piping kit in and on the car, check boost leaks, compression test (u mentioned you were unsure of ## headgasket), THEN roll into fuel.

Here's the deal... alot of good talk b/w 2 of guys up there about IDC levels at what boost between the 14b and 16G's big and small... however, I have never had ANY issues running even 23-25psi on 14b w/ stock 450's OR 23-28psi on a Big 16G ported/clipped10 w/ 550's, a walbro 255, & an SAFC-II changing fuel curves. Of course, i had the full exhaust (ported mani), intake on the 14b and that plus a gm 3" MAF w/ maf-t and FMIC on the 16G setup.

It was a consistent mid-high 12sec car. Just simple stuff to get u in the right place man.

Yeah LOL you are right actually... and I most definitely vote NO. I'd like to see the results on a 2 healthy 2g's and I dare someone to say they do at wastegate boost, unless that stock wastegate on the small 16g is indeed 16psi vs the 10-11psi mentioned (still don't see it).

i am running a forced performance 16g on my 1g gsx with stock injectors and a stock fuel pump, and i hit fuel cut between 5 and 6k. im sure this is just becuase of my crappy fuel pump, but if your running a 255lph on stock injectors i could see there being a problem. the stock injectors are 450cc i do believe so the deffiantly can handle stock boost, or around stock boost for sure. and a wideband is very very very important. definatly worth the money to get one. good luck to you and i hope everything turns out good!

I don't want to thread jack. But just a simple yes or no question guys . Will a small 16g on stock boost outflow a 14b on stock boost ? Would you be able to tell a difference in power ?

Yes it will out flow a 14b even at stock boost. Its a larger turbo. The gain is minimal and I doubt you will notice a difference in power. When you start turning boost up and getting into the turbos efficiency range is when you will really feel the difference between the two. But at 12 psi you probably wont feel much of a difference.

I ran 18 psi with a big 16g stock fpr and a 190 walbro pump...with zero issues. I would suggest getting a pump if you want to make power down the road they are cheap and easy to install. I am currently running the same 18psi same pump and same fpr with 1050's and no issues. If you have to spend money do fuel mods first an max out the turbo you have first. If you need a set of Lucas 550's I have a set for $100 plus shipping feel free to pm if that's something your interested in.

When I bought my talon, it had a 16g already in it and nothhing else. I feel like it will work fine when I get the boost leaks taken care of. It over boosts (boost creep?) at WOT and leans out, but thats about it.

I know this thread is only about 2 months old, and there are good points to both sides of the argument, but does anyone have PROOF (dsmlink logs, AEM logs) etc, showing that on wastegate pressure (we'll call it 12psi on a small 16g for the sake of argument), that the stock 450cc injectors will be maxed out on pump gas?
If so, please post them up!

I know on my 1g I had the Big 16g turbo with stock pump and injectors running 14 psi and would hit fuel cut at 5000 rpm, I uprgaded to a wahlbro 190 and yellowtop injectors (cant remember the size) my fuel cut went away and i could redline at 19 psi with no issues at all.

I know on my 1g I had the Big 16g turbo with stock pump and injectors running 14 psi and would hit fuel cut at 5000 rpm, I uprgaded to a wahlbro 190 and yellowtop injectors (cant remember the size) my fuel cut went away and i could redline at 19 psi with no issues at all.

Yellow tops would be 510cc

Got a DSMLink log showing that those 450's aren't over 100% IDC?

I'll see if I can find mine. Not sure which jump drive they're on. I was running an OMNI 4 bar MAP sensor at the time as well, so you can monitor boost along with IDC's. This is also running 37psi base fuel pressure (stock 1g), so people with a 2g running 43.5psi base are slightly better off.

ohh ok, was just wondering, im only use to aeroforce interceptor that I got on my current car, im still looking around for a good 1gen to buy for my second car.

Well...here's another one...what's a max psi I can run? All mods are in profile up to date. I have big 16g ported and 750's running on 93 octane. I was thinking 20-22 and tuning for knock. Is this safe?

Well...here's another one...what's a max psi I can run? All mods are in profile up to date. I have big 16g ported and 750's running on 93 octane. I was thinking 20-22 and tuning for knock. Is this safe?

You tell us. Turn up it slowly while watching afr's, idc's, and knock. Those three things will tell you how much boost you can get away with.

Edit:Correction thanks to snowborder

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back