The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Massive oil leak need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsicody

Probationary Member
Feb 22, 2015
bakersfield, California
Car leaks all oil within minutes, started after cruising last night. Can’t located because it’s so heavy. Got a video, thinking maybe front main seal. What you think?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not a good idea to start the car with such a massive oil leak. That being said it looks like it's coming from the oil pump and it's being thrown everywhere by the timing belt. I would start there. What's your mod list?

If this is occurring pre oil gallery, you may damage the bearings, do not start the engine until you fix the leak.
It's hard to pin-point from where by the video and there are many possibilities. Since the leak is really a lot, first I would suspect a blown front case gasket if you had no leak before and suddenly happened (You may have too much oil pressure for some reason or/and using a cheap paper gasket instead of OEM or a good quality one)
Anyways that timing belt shouldn't be reused anymore, so remove the belt and clean the engine, then spin the oil pump sprocket by using a drill w/ 14mm socket. You should probably be able to find the leak while spinning the oil pump sprocket.

It is not a good idea to start the car with such a massive oil leak. That being said it looks like it's coming from the oil pump and it's being thrown everywhere by the timing belt. I would start there. What's your mod list?
Yea I didn’t like to but need to verify the leak so I made sure was full and only started for the short time on video. Car is heavily modded. Built internally and balance shaft deleted

If this is occurring pre oil gallery, you may damage the bearings, do not start the engine until you fix the leak.
It's hard to pin-point from where by the video and there are many possibilities. Since the leak is really a lot, first I would suspect a blown front case gasket if you had no leak before and suddenly happened (You may have too much oil pressure for some reason or/and using a cheap paper gasket instead of OEM or a good quality one)
Anyways that timing belt shouldn't be reused anymore, so remove the belt and clean the engine, then spin the oil pump sprocket by using a drill w/ 14mm socket. You should probably be able to find the leak while spinning the oil pump sprocket.
Awsome thanks man I will try that

Is it a BSE motor and if so, did you put a bolt back into the pulley bolt hole? It will leak like no other from there if you didn't put a bolt in and you have eliminated the balance shafts.
If you still have the shafts, then that is probably not the issue.

Check the oil level. Clean it up, pull the tbelt off and put a cordless drill on the oil pump nut and spin it clockwise. Doesn’t look like it needs too much pressure to show where it’s leaking from.

A few drops of oil dye in the oil and a Ultraviolet light will be your friend here.

It’s very hard to see when the camera keeps moving. Think I see it leaking from behind the oil pump gear and the oil pan. Where else to you see oil coming from? Do you have an oil pressure gauge? And what’s the history? Any repairs/upgrades made recently?

Edit: oil pan might be alright as it’s probably runoff from the oil pump seal.

It’s very hard to see when the camera keeps moving. Think I see it leaking from behind the oil pump gear and the oil pan. Where else to you see oil coming from? Do you have an oil pressure gauge? And what’s the history? Any repairs/upgrades made recently?
Yea sorry haha I posted another vid. Def from oil pump seal

Much better LOL. I’d start with that seal but are the other seals the same age? Go oem. You won’t regret it. Reason I ask is because you might as well replace the other seals while you’re there.
Good advice thanks man

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back