The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominicksoco

Probationary Member
Jun 13, 2022
Hammind, Indiana
I replaced my master and slave cylinder about two weeks ago. I had the same issue at first after installation. The car would shift when the vehicle was off and I could start it and drive in a gear but when the car was running I couldn’t shift out of the gear I was in nor could I shift into any other gear. I ended up fixing that problem by adjusting my pedal. I got a good week in total of driving it after I fixed my issue. Now for whatever reason it’s doing the same thing. My master cylinder and slave cylinder do work properly and my clutch was just replaced a few months before. I don’t know what my issue could be any help…?

It could be possible… I never drove it after my clutch was replaced because it was winter. When I did go to drive it I drove it for a few blocks and my clutch would slip.. I then looked and found my slave cylinder didn’t hold pressure and I took steps to replace my master and slave cylinder. I replaced them both and then it wouldn’t shift. I figured out that issue to be my pedal, and then it drove a good 7-8 days. I probably went a total of 90-100 miles. I’m assuming that because I used a little bit under half a tank of gas. I’ve tried re adjusting my pedal, checking my master cylinder fluid level.(I have no leak it stays the same and I don’t have any evidence of a leak). I’ve even tried adjusting my clutch fork to no avail. I really hope my clutch didn’t prematurely burn. I honestly don’t know.

could be either the clutch fork/throw out bearing or just simply you just need to bleed your clutch, if that doesn't work, then you'll have issue with clutch pressure plate, start by bleeding your clutch, have a friend help you with that, it's faster and easier than trying to bled it by yourself

Air in the line or a master/slave not holding pressure will give you the problem you're describing: you'll have difficulty decoupling the transmission from the engine because there isn't enough hydraulic travel on the clutch assy. Did you bench bleed the master cyl prior to installation? If not you could have air trapped behind the mushroom seal at the master.

Based on what you are describing it doesn't sound like you would have burned the clutch - that's caused by a slipping problem where the clutch doesn't fully engage. Your problem sounds like the clutch doesn't fully disengage.

Thoroughly bleed the clutch system. Check your fork adjustment. Then set pedal adjustment. If that doesn't fix the issue post back.

Air in the line or a master/slave not holding pressure will give you the problem you're describing: you'll have difficulty decoupling the transmission from the engine because there isn't enough hydraulic travel on the clutch assy. Did you bench bleed the master cyl prior to installation? If not you could have air trapped behind the mushroom seal at the master.

Based on what you are describing it doesn't sound like you would have burned the clutch - that's caused by a slipping problem where the clutch doesn't fully engage. Your problem sounds like the clutch doesn't fully disengage.

Thoroughly bleed the clutch system. Check your fork adjustment. Then set pedal adjustment. If that doesn't fix the issue post back.
I did bench bleed the master cylinder prior to instillation. I then let it’s gravity bleed before bleeding it with my buddy. I’m 99% sure we got all the air out of the lines. I adjusted my pedal to where it let me shift and worked properly. Like I had mentioned, after I got them in and bled I was able to drive it and used half of a tank of gas. I parked it one night after driving it and went inside. I came out the next morning to go to the store real quick and got half way down the block. I stopped at a stop sign and accelerated and shifted to second and then went to go to third a couple seconds later and realized that I couldn’t put it into that gear. I pulled into my old highschools parking lot and tried to shift through my gears but couldn’t. I turned my car off and started it in first gear and drove it home.
- is there anyway that not having the clip on the pivot ball that clips onto the fork could have an effect on this at all?. My neighbor who is a gear head told me that since the slave cylinder is putting force on the clutch fork holding it on the pivot that there’s no reason it should have an effect on it. I feel like maybe it’s not working is because the clip that is supposed to hold the clutch fork to the pivot ball in the transmission isn’t holding the fork properly allowing play in the fork and it isn’t pushing the bearing far enough…. Any thoughts?

There is no adjustment for the clutch fork on the 420a cars. :hmm:
They don't need it.

The only way to do that would be to shim it, but there's no "correct" way to do that. And that would require removal of the trans or engine anyway.
Understood.

Exploded throw out bearing or a broken clutch fork would be where I would be looking if everything else checks out fine.
My throw out bearing does squeal a bit after my clutch was replaced. When it isn’t engaged you can hear a faint squeal from the transmission.

There is no adjustment for the clutch fork on the 420a cars. :hmm:
They don't need it.

The only way to do that would be to shim it, but there's no "correct" way to do that. And that would require removal of the trans or engine anyway.
I did had clutch slave cylinder which had adjustment on the tip, I think it was exedy brand if I remember correctly, I can see if I find it, this was long time ago and it's been discontinued years ago

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back