The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Manual to automatic conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewy24

Probationary Member
Jan 19, 2015
Troy, Ohio
Yeah so I was wondering how hard it'd be to convert a manual gsx to an automatic gsx cause I plan on buyin a 95 manual gsx an take the bad motor an tranny out and put in a new motor an auto tranny. I'm really wanting to know what I'd need to have to be able to convert it over all the info will help and please no responses like "you should just buy another manual tranny" or "keep it manual" please and thank you

Here's what I can think of right off the top of my head. If there are other things that I'm missing others please fill in:

-Transmission with mount
-Rear differential (the Auto has a different final drive ratio)
-Auto Shifter and cables
-Auto Wiring harness and TCU
-Potentially wire some things to the TCU from the ECU to work like OEM (the TCU can see things like speed and coolant temp) Otherwise you need a shift box or rewire the auto shifter to work as a manual
-Get wiring for Overdrive switch and wire up illumination for gear indicator if you want to see what gear you're in at night The OD switch also has an indicator in the cluster to show when overdrive is off, but I'm not sure if that's even in the manual cluster at all but just something to mention.

Just happen to have my manual cluster out and did not seed a overdrive indicator light but did see a A/T Temp spot. I have a complete 95 auto car if you need any parts/pics.

Intermediate shaft
Starter
Engine harness
Shifter
Shifter cables
Diff
Transfer case, trans
Brake pedal
Tcu or shift box
I've done 2 5 speed swaps and have some of this stuff if your interested. Might need a few other odds and ends that I can't think of at the moment. I think the work is the easy part finding the shit is what sucks.

If the new motor is going to be a 6 bolt you will need a adapter kit sold by kiggly

You can usually find auto gsx cheaper than an mt.. Just sell and get one. Don't take this off the road.

i went the lazy way didn't put a tcu in mine and just did the blue wire mod with the force four shift box

Just happen to have my manual cluster out and did not seed a overdrive indicator light but did see a A/T Temp spot. I have a complete 95 auto car if you need any parts/pics.
Hello I need some help I need to make my car automatic

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back