The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G manual to automatic awd swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starscreem

15+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2005
hoffman estates, Illinois
hello

ok well i got my hands on a 95 gsx no sunroof or abs, with a rear lsd. but i have a kid on the way and don't really want to go through a ton of manual transmissions and stuff as i know they love to break. so i decided i want to swap over to a auto for reliability. i have done alot of looking and think i got a grasp on what im going to need to get this done. can anyone give me any info on this i would be so happy.

1. awd tranny/tcase/torque converter/flex plate.

2. rear pumpkin needs to be swamped for a auto. ( is there a lsd i can get)

3. i don't want to switch harness so i figure i can use a shift box
am i right about this.

4. i need a auto shifter and cables.

5. am i going to have any axle issues with this swap besides the frozen axle in the wheel bearing.

this is not my dd car so im in no crazy rush this is going to be my winter project im trying to get all the body and suspension clean and working on the car so i can just swap my set up from my gst over this spring :). the car is a virgin 95 awd eclipse, so im going to do a pro thane whole bushing kit. i already have avid motor mounts. im just going to go with some gr2 shocks on stock springs. im going to also have both front and rear sub frame pulled and blasted and then powder coated. im not trying to break any record im just trying to have a fun reliable dsm. and yes then can be my gst has been prof of it for me had her almost 10 years now. only had crank walk once witch happens. and my crank pully took my timing out one time but other wise she has been great to me. ill i have done is use mittsu parts and keep up on her maintenance. if you try to be cheep and cut every corner on them then they suck i have seen tons of locals do it.LOL

if any one has any parts i might need sitting around let me know!!

1. awd tranny/tcase/torque converter/flex plate. Yes

2. rear pumpkin needs to be swamped for a auto. ( is there a lsd i can get)
Yes and Yes there is a factory LSD out there.

3. i don't want to switch harness so i figure i can use a shift box
am i right about this. The engine harness is much different.

4. i need a auto shifter and cables. Yes

5. am i going to have any axle issues with this swap besides the frozen axle in the wheel bearing. Rear will work, front are different.

so how much of the harness has to be replaced i dont think just the engine harness is enough i could be wrong. cause i dont see a plug for the tcu on my gsx harness and yes i know it goes right between the fire wall and ecu area.

You need to pull the entire Engine Transaxle to Ecu/Tcu from an auto.

The harness is MUCH different. It would be a huge pita to rewire it all so that you can control the transmission, and have reverse lights, and the idiot light for the transmission temp. Though, you might not have it in a manual gauge cluster. Not sure if the bulb is there or not.

do i need to watch for a different gear ratio in the tranny and tcase vs the pumpkin, like meaning do i need to match up a 95-96 tranny/tcase/pumpkin or a 97-99 tranny/tcase/pumpkin. like i had to when i was collecting parts for my awd swap on my gst that fell through. reason i ask is i can get a killer deal on a tranny and tcase with torque converter at any time but dont know if it will be a 2ga or 2gb tranny . just not sure if i should get that first or the pumpkin and what will limit me. i really want a lsd pumpkin for auto. just not sure what years and stuff had them and if any 2g auto will work with it.

also i take it i need to make sure i get a 95 auto harness from the engine to the ecu/tcu

For the harness, any 2g 4g auto one will work. You may have to change the cas pigtail to match yours but thats a 2 min swap.

well i did some more looking and am having one hell of a time finding the harness everything else has been easy to find. i came across a thread here on tuners involving this swap but there was alot of info but he said something about changing the harness and having to find or change the sensors. witch ones would that be sensor wise. does any one got a pic of the hole harness i need just so i i can make sure i get the right one or ones, since i need to switch the ecu/tcu one also.

You need to pull the entire Engine Transaxle to Ecu/Tcu from an auto.

The harness is MUCH different. It would be a huge pita to rewire it all so that you can control the transmission, and have reverse lights, and the idiot light for the transmission temp. Though, you might not have it in a manual gauge cluster. Not sure if the bulb is there or not.
What exactly is the challenge with changing the harness? Does the dash need to come out or something? Not really sure what the big issue would be especially if you bought a tcu as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back