The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Power Steering to Manual Steering Conversion [Merged 4-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMRevolution

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2002
Sioux Falls, South_Dakota
I am creating the thread to discuss the pros and cons of the power steering to manual steering conversion. There really hasn't been that much discussion to this so I figured it was about time! :thumb: Anyways, here we go...

1. When converting to manual steering is it best to use the stock power steering rack or convert to a 1.8L manual rack?

2. Is the ratio of the manual rack going to be to small for autocrossing? Or wouldn't you even want to consider manual steering for autocrossing?

3. If you want to use the stock power steering rack for manual steering insted of using a manual rack, what would you want to remove or change to do this?

4. I was thinking about converting to manual steering, but I am not sure if I want to. Before I decide to convert can I just remove the power steering belt and see how I like it before going through the trouble of converting?

5. Will the power steering rack go bad if it doesn't have fluid in it?

6. Can the power steering rack be reused if it was once used for manual steering?

7. But most of all, what do you like and dislike about manual steering?

Feel free to ask anymore questions in this thread regarding manual steering or answer whatever you please. Thanks! :cool:

Yeah there is some sort of bracket that you need. I remember reading about it when I searched for manual rack info. I just bought a rack myself so I guess i'll have to weed through all those threads again.

Yeah there is some sort of bracket that you need. I remember reading about it when I searched for manual rack info. I just bought a rack myself so I guess i'll have to weed through all those threads again.

Thanks god for searching haha

Website you can use for the bracket: http://www.partsformitsubishi.com/

Part number: MB315178

Well, that was easy

check the junkyard i just picked one up today for 35 bucks with the brackets hell of a steal. wasnt even what i went there for but i seen the 1.8 and i asked them and took it.

does anyone know were do get a steering rack manual one for not expensive really 90 - 94:talon:

Make sure you get the passenger side bracket as well. Your power rack bracket wont work. I strongly suggest you do a search for a install guide so you can have everything BEFORE you start the swap. Good luck.

The power rack bracket can work, it just won't fit quite right and you'll have to bend it. Easier to get the passenger side bracket though and do it right. :)

PS - Your car will turn and handle like a total pig after this. I had a GS-T with power steering, and switched to my GSX already converted to non-PS. You get a lot more road feel and feedback, but navigating parking lots, small streets, and making U-turns will eventually make you develop a complex. Autocross will be difficult to impossible. Unless you have a good reason (leaky power steering system is NOT a reason) to swap over, just fixing what's broken is a much better idea.

I just bought a 1Gb AWD and it came with a brand new manual steering rack installed. The guy said it had larger gears so it wouldnt be too rough or hard to turn. Now my question is.. How many DSMers accually have manual steering (not stock or broken power steering)? Are there any noticable power gains(less weight, no engine drag from pump, etc)? Is manual steering better in any scenario? Should I change back to ps?

i loved it in my 1st gen. Wish they had one that would work in a 2g. Definately a lot easier then unhooked power steering. i liked it ### it was lighter and a lot more room in the engine bay. no pump, lines, etc. It was kind of a pain in parking lots but as long as your moving the steering effort isnt bad and it felt way better on the highway then power steering.

I've got a manual rack in mine. When you're driving on high speed sections with sweeping turns, you get a lot more road feel and feedback from the front tires... can more easily take them to just before the point of traction loss. Low speed technical portions are going to kill you though, and over time you'll develop Popeye arms. Definite workout, and forget ever slaloming.
You'll learn to HATE parking pretty quick, too.

But no power steering leaks, one less fluid to check, no PS lines cluttering the bay, no leaking pump killing your alternator, and if you need to swap out alts, it makes things MUCH easier to just pull it out the top without having to weasel anything around to make it fit. You'll also have more horsepower on tap, but only marginally.

Personally, I'd keep the power steering for a DD or autocross car (after doing the restrictor valve modification in the latter case), or get rid of it on a drag or general track car. AWD will make the handling a lot heavier, too. If it's already been swapped, you'll learn to live with it, and won't miss any of the headaches. Plus you'll develop a killer grip and toned forearms just by driving around. :D

The 1G 1.8L has a manual rack. You'll need the passenger side steering rack mount, or you'll have to mangle the power one (and it won't fit right anyway).

After that it's mostly just removing and swapping. Might be a good idea to replace the tie rod ends at the same time, while you've got them easily accessible.

I know this is an older thread but has anyone searched to find that maybe a 95-98 avenger rack will work? Im pretty sure some of these came w/o PS and they seem to be built off a 2G chasis, even the interior is the same....

Get a smaller steering wheel. I would never trust hanging off the steering wheel on a system designed to have power steering.

I know this is an older thread but has anyone searched to find that maybe a 95-98 avenger rack will work? Im pretty sure some of these came w/o PS and they seem to be built off a 2G chasis, even the interior is the same....

The 95-98 Avenger takes the same rack as the 95-98 Eclipse and the 95-98 Galant w/o eps

I'm curious as to how people looped the lines. I went to loop mine, using a T so I could bleed the lines, but the one nipple is smaller than the other and my hose is too big and it leaks. Has anyone come up with a solution for looping the lines after taking P/S out?

I'm curious as to how people looped the lines. I went to loop mine, using a T so I could bleed the lines, but the one nipple is smaller than the other and my hose is too big and it leaks. Has anyone come up with a solution for looping the lines after taking P/S out?

I ended up making a custom fitting that allowed me to loop the lines right at the rack on my 2g- I'll see if I can find it and take some pictures.

I later did more research and decided against going to full manual rack . . . the lock-to-lock ratio is quite a bit higher than that of the power rack. That and going to larger more sticky tires made it a bit more difficult to steer the car on slower speed tracks, so I went back to power steering.

^^I read your post about how to cut the fittings and put them back together and everything. I'm just wondering if there's a simpler way to do this.

yea i would like to know how to loop the lines. where are the input/output lines? can i cut them and run a rubber hose and clamps to loop them? I have been without the belt to my PS/AC for a long time cause the mount broke.. is there still a way to keep ac and no ps?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back