The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

420A manual shifting problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8mystery4lfe

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2012
Taylor, Michigan
:confused:I have a 2g eclipse rs fwd n/a with a manual transmission. last week it started to get hard shifting into first, second, and reverse. now it will hardly even shift into first or reverse. when I roll up to a stop I cant shift it into first without it stalling on me, I have to put it in 2nd and rev it a little so it will stay running at a stop. maybe its just the clutch that needs to be adjusted or its a synchro in the transmission (hopefully not) im hoping to get some insight on this problem thanks guys

Does it shift fine with the engine off? If so than it is a clutch or clutch hydraulic problem. I would check the master and slave for leaks and try bleeding the clutch.

Check for hydraulic leaks. Look where the pedal mounts on the firewall to see if the master is leaking. Look at the slave and peel the boot back, if there is fluid in there that seeps out, replace. I have seen on some vehicles the pedal assembly likes to crack and break, and the firewall even cracks and breaks where the master bolts to. Also check for free play in the pedal. If no free play, adjust your clutch pedal until you have about .5-1 "

Check for hydraulic leaks. Look where the pedal mounts on the firewall to see if the master is leaking. Look at the slave and peel the boot back, if there is fluid in there that seeps out, replace. I have seen on some vehicles the pedal assembly likes to crack and break, and the firewall even cracks and breaks where the master bolts to. Also check for free play in the pedal. If no free play, adjust your clutch pedal until you have about .5-1 "

+1 on this.. the master and slave are super cheap replace them BOTH together and bleed it with new fluid. Go a step further and pick up some redline shock proof gear oil mix with regular gear oil you will be shifting like butter.. brought my old tranny back from the grave I thought it was done for.

+1 on this.. the master and slave are super cheap replace them BOTH together and bleed it with new fluid. Go a step further and pick up some redline shock proof gear oil mix with regular gear oil you will be shifting like butter.. brought my old tranny back from the grave I thought it was done for.

I agree with the master and slave. My brothers RSX was getting a similar problem and this was the culprit. As for tranny fluid I read that evo 9 MR gear oil is the best. I am in belief that you should not mix redline shockproof. Use it strictly for the transfer case and rear diff. I am new to DSM's (years of research but just bought my first fixer-upper 3 days ago) so I can be totally wrong on this.

I’m having the exact same issue on my 1997 spyder gs, could it be the same fix ?
Most likely. Check for fluid level and leaks. If none found, you’ll have to check if the slave moves when you press in the clutch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back