The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Manual Boost Controller not working?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsyco

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 19, 2011
Somewhere in, Central_America
Hey guys!
So I did my research but I want some direct help here I feel like a noob now LOL (maybe I am)
Thing is I can't boost past 8PSI which is the stock wastegate spring pressure!
I have a Vibrand boost controller... this one...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So is not a ball/spring type is most like a bleeder type but it just have a venting hole.
I think this is the culprit of my no boost problem doesn't matter how open or closed it is it wont boost past 8psi and if I open it al the way out (almost removing the cap) it will boost to 9-10 psi.
Yes is hooked right!
Also if a unhook the wastegate line it will boost like crazy past 20 psi easily! so I know my wastegate is ok!
Could it be a faulty MBC? I mean they are so simple how could they fail or maybe I'm doing something wrong!
Any advice?

If you are sure you have it hooked up right (one line in from j-pipe or turbo to bottom nipple of boost controller, and one line out to wastegate actuator from side nipple of boost controller), and don't have any boost leaks, then yes the boost controller is the problem.

They can either leak or sometimes the spring in them can go bad. Try putting teflon tape on the screw parts of it to seal any leaks as well as a different o-ring, or just buy a different controller. It shouldn't set you back that much.

Also, check the lines going to and from the boost controller for leaks.

Hey! Thanks for the reply. So yes it is hooked up right 100% positive about that and if you see the picture you will notice that my MBC is not a ball/spring type and it supposed to leak actually the bigger the leak the higher the boost is and following that idea I though of drilling the bleed hole a little bit bigger to allow more air out! Will that work?

It is supposed to leak, but only out of a certain spot LOL. The suggestions above are to fix UNWANTED leaks. If it was put there intentionally it is not really a leak.

I would not drill that hole out or do anything to it. You shouldn't have to.

Make sure your lines going to the controller aren't kinked and that they are as short as possible as well.

If all else fails, just get a different controller.

Yeah man thanks a lot the lines are nice, thick, short and new. And away from heat as much as possible. Yes you are right if it supposed to leak is not really a leak but you understand what I tried to say. I'll try the Teflon thing as you suggested. I'll post back with results.

Good luck. Sorry I couldn't be more help LOL.

Maybe the controller is just faulty or something.

So I tried the Teflon trick didn't really work! I'm really confused how can something so simple fail! And what if I buy a new MBC and the problem persist what else could it be!?
What's the best MBC i can buy accurate and can handle like a boss also do you recommend EBC over MBC and what brands.

Sounds like something else is wrong if you install this and boost goes from 20psi to 8, on an 8psi spring. How does it boost 20 not hooked up?

I'd send it back and take $20 of the $70+ you spent on that and make one at home depot or similar store... mines been on over a year and has worked like a charm.

If you are sure you have it hooked up right (one line in from j-pipe or turbo to bottom nipple of boost controller, and one line out to wastegate actuator from side nipple of boost controller)

Thats not right, it needs to go to a T-fitting to bleed off any air. If it went from boost source to boost controller to wastegate, then you really didnt take any air away from the wastegate, but rather only slowed down the time the boost arrives to the wastegate... It needs to bleed off somewhere to SUBTRACT any air to the wastegate

Thats not right, it needs to go to a T-fitting to bleed off any air. If it went from boost source to boost controller to wastegate, then you really didnt take any air away from the wastegate, but rather only slowed down the time the boost arrives to the wastegate... It needs to bleed off somewhere to SUBTRACT any air to the wastegate

Yes! This is how actually this MBC works the only thing is it doesn't have a bleeder nipple just the hole that vents. So basically the more you unscrew the cap the more gets out the bleeder hole that's why I thought to drill the hole bigger cause no mater how loose or tight it is it still doesn't hold boost! Any way I'm just going to get a regular ball/spring MBC and call it a day!

If you are going to spend 80+ , I would have gotten a Hallman Mbc.. STM is doing a sale on them now as well.
If its a bleeder style, would the install be similar to this ?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back