The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved Manual boost controller install 2GB

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2022
Chandler, Arizona
Yo. Hopefully this isn’t a repost. I installed a manual boost controller on my 99 GSX and I’m not convinced it’s installed correctly. The instructions say to install one end to the wastegate and one end to the turbo or intake manifold… but as seen in the 2GB vacuum diagram below the turbo and wastegate are on a t post and the other end is into the intake. Do I remove the T and connect to the turbo/wastegate or do I use the stock tube configuration and replace the wastegate solenoid with the manual boost controller as it’s currently tubed?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Solution
No pictures yet… BUT! I did open the boost controller and found the ball in the wrong valve next to the spring instead of under it. I also found the spring pinned under threading so as not to be as loose as the lowest setting should allow.
No test drive yet but seems to be a clear culprit.
Also ordered a new Idle Air Control. Not having one is annoying.
Do you have the factory turbo or is it an aftermarket one? I have an EBCS and it's connected to an Evo 3 16G turbo on the J-pipe and the other hose is connected to the nipple on the wastegate. If it's a factory turbo you can connect one hose to the wastegate and the other to the nipple on the turbo and you are done. Just make sure that you hook the hoses up to the right connector on the manual boost controller and yes you need to remove the T.

So delete the factory T and hook the turbo side to the boost controller? Yes, factory turbo.
Crap, you answered that.
So just plug the intake hole?

Yeah that's how I have my Injen Intake that has the port on the front for the factory boost solenoid hose. If you go with a FP intake pipe the only hole it has is for the recirculated BOV but they are a bit pricey but well worth the money. I just bought one for my son for when we get his car done.

According to the picture they have of it the barbed fitting straight across the dial goes to the turbo and the one 90 degrees from the dial goes to the wastegate.

Yes, thank you. I used a friends boost gauge and waiting on a new one to double confirm. Currently using the stock configuration on the boost controller but from what you’re saying I should follow instructions and split the original config to fit the two sides.

Alright, I did it. I removed the T connecting the wastegate to the turbo. I ran a vacuum line from the wastegate to the boost controller and another from the turbo to the boost controller. I also plugged the port that was going to the intake. Now it’s got pretty crappy and low idle… maybe I can just turn the idle up but wanted to make sure plugging the vacuum line on the intake was ok.

How well did you plug it? That little nipple is after the MAF so if it's not sealed 100%, it will suck in extra vacuum from there but that would cause a high idle. Also what setting did you apply to the controller? Usually they have small bleed holes where air is always let through, but if you have it cracked to full open it will be bleeding a lot of air out. Start from the loosest setting (less boost) and work your way up in small increments doing a 3rd gear pull from 2k to 6k and seeing what your boost gauge is reading.

Alright, I did it. I removed the T connecting the wastegate to the turbo. I ran a vacuum line from the wastegate to the boost controller and another from the turbo to the boost controller. I also plugged the port that was going to the intake. Now it’s got pretty crappy and low idle… maybe I can just turn the idle up but wanted to make sure plugging the vacuum line on the intake was ok.
DO NOT ADJUST THE IDLE. The problem is due to something that you touched during the boost controller install and adjusting the idle will, at best, hide the symptoms of the problem and at worst make it worse. Address the boost leak and do not touch the BISS. Pretty much ever. Never touch the BISS.

Unfortunately I bought it full of leaks.

I took it into a mechanic to replace the interior fuse harness. He let me know that he raised the idle to 1000 rpm because it wasn’t idling correctly. I then did boost leak checks and plugged all the holes.

I added the boost controller at the same time but incorrectly. My idle was smooth though and needed to be turned down. Then I fixed the boost controller install. Now it’s idling too low.

Alright… idle is fine, boost is fast, but it goes too high even at the lowest setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
No pictures yet… BUT! I did open the boost controller and found the ball in the wrong valve next to the spring instead of under it. I also found the spring pinned under threading so as not to be as loose as the lowest setting should allow.

Solution
What kinda controller is this? Sounds sloppy

What kinda controller is this? Sounds sloppy

An Amazon version of an old school DIY manual boost control (see post 7)
Looks a lot like the first one I built back 20+ years ago.

Maybe. I did learn quite a bit so not totally disappointed.
You get what you pay for.
One may say that… or one may say, “they all work the same. Paying extra is like having your water poured.” I should have opened it first since I didn’t pay to not have to. Hehe

Also, drove 70 miles today and it was flawless.

Maybe. I did learn quite a bit so not totally disappointed.

One may say that… or one may say, “they all work the same. Paying extra is like having your water poured.” I should have opened it first since I didn’t pay to not have to. Hehe
I built my own years ago and sold them but they were machined. Spring and ball couldn't go anywhere.

I built my own years ago and sold them but they were machined. Spring and ball couldn't go anywhere.
To say it doesn’t work for shit? That’s more believable. Lol. As of today, turned all the way down, I can’t complain. I haven’t reconnected a boost gauge though. All I can say is I’m not doing 100% on injectors or making things go, “BANG” anymore.
Tomorrow I’ll replace spark plugs and take it for an oil change. I’m hoping to get some decent pulls without bangs after that. Preferably with my new boost gauge telling me what’s up.
Next… fuel system?

Ended up returning to stock. Just couldn’t handle the boost and fuel cut. I’ll try again with better fuel delivery and a better boost controller.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back