The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Manifold Mounted Wastegate Adapter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This part fabrication was created out of necessity when my old wastegate went bad. As you see in the picture the wastegate was mounted with the flow through the gate reversed. This caused the valve guide part of the housing to wear and eventually the lower chamber of the wastegate would no longer hold any pressure. This oversight was performed by the previous owner and was not brought to my attention until it was too late. Here is a picture of the old wastegate and it's incorrect orientation.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I took this opportunity to upgrade to a TIAL 38mm wastegate. My manifold had the correct two bolt flange. However when I tried to place the wastegate on the flange in the correct orientation I quickly found it was hitting the P.S. Pump. This lack of clearence was no doubt the reason the original wastegate was put in backwards. The problem was that the flange and tube coming off the manifold collector wasn't angled.

It was clear that the flange needed to be angled. However this would mean I would have to remove the manifold to modify the tube. This was not a very happy idea in my mind. I devised another plan. I purchased two mild steel flanges from an internet supplier. Both of them have the holes threaded.

A 90 degree bend of 1 1/2" exhaust pipe from the local NAPA was purchased also.

I then bolted one of the flanges to the manifold and the other to the new wastegate. Using a cutoff wheel, I began by cutting a small piece of the pipe that I thought would fit. Holding the wastegate with the piece of pipe in place, I checked for clearence. Once I had the shortest piece possible that still provided adequate clearence for the wastegate I welded it together. A simple MIG welder was perfect for the task.

Since the pieces were mild steel they needed to be protected from rust. I used VHT spray paint. This type of paint is suited for high temperatures. You could also opt. to have it ceramic coated or any other type of coating you may like. The pipe and flanges can also be purchased in Stainless Steel so they won't rust.

The final project can be seen in the picture as the black piece between the wastegate and the manifold. The wastegate now clears the P.S. Pump and is oriented for the correct flow through the wastegate. It is a simple solution to a problem that already cost one wastegate. Now all that is left to do it fab up a new dump tube with some more piping and another flange.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back