The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Making the Ignition low side switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwdsm

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 28, 2005
Scenery Hill, Pennsylvania
So I'm doing a complete rewire of the 2G to get rid of the brittle 23 year old harness. I am also making the system have one fuse/relay box. I purchased an Eaton VCM and ran into a problem.. Normally ignition and all the things it powers are high side switched. The Eaton is set up for a low side switch. Anyone see a problem flipping my ignition into essentially a grounding bar therefore a low side switch? The relays would then power everything else in their usual way so I can't find a flaw in this plan but would like other opinions. Starter signal to the ECU would then just come from the high side of the starter relay instead of straight from the ignition.

The only possible concern that comes to mind is to check the resistance of the contacts on the switch in the Start position. A high side switch doesn't care much about some resistance, but a low side one -- especially one with worn contacts -- may not trigger the new start relay.

Good point.. I have a DC power supply I can set up to after checking resistance to double make sure the starter relay will excite.

I’m also curious about this I want to do away with they key all together and go with a couple switches instead for Fuel pump, ecu, etc, to start the car
Here I'll save you some time with documentation. I took/am taking out all circuits that I didn't need for the track mind you but the main goal was to get rid of the two boxes and make one central box. Still a work in progress too but I should be finishing up here in the next week or so.Ignore some of the obvious non DSM stuff.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back