The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Maintenance Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSITurbo95

Probationary Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ohio, Ohio
So I am in the process of ordering parts for basic maintenance for my car. I have a pretty nice build I need to get ready for. Other than plugs & wires, all belts (balance shaft, timing, alternator, power steering), if my oil pressure and temperature are ok, I shouldent need to replace my oil and water pump correct? What other things should I look at replacing?

To help, my car has 75k original miles, it currently has synthetic 10w 30 oil, with synthetic gear oils, has minor mods, and with my new mods I am hoping to have around 325-350 awhp. Motor internals are stock, going to wait for the crank walk to happen with the new act 2600 clutch before rebuild.

So I am in the process of ordering parts for basic maintenance for my car. I have a pretty nice build I need to get ready for. Other than plugs & wires, all belts (balance shaft, timing, alternator, power steering), if my oil pressure and temperature are ok, I shouldent need to replace my oil and water pump correct? What other things should I look at replacing?

To help, my car has 75k original miles, it currently has synthetic 10w 30 oil, with synthetic gear oils, has minor mods, and with my new mods I am hoping to have around 325-350 awhp. Motor internals are stock, going to wait for the crank walk to happen with the new act 2600 clutch before rebuild.

Fix any oil leaks while your there I would leave the water and oil pumps if there are no leaks. You could do a bse if you wanted while you were doing the timing belt.

Dont wait for crankwalk to happen because its overrated.

Already did the fuel pump forgot to add it, and what do you mean dont wait for it to happen, im sure it will with the new clutch, right?

Well, I will say that if you don't know when the timing belt was last replaced. Do a FULL timing belt job AND the oil pump OEM is what I will recommend for all. You don't know the condition and it would be very bad if it seized up. I would also replace all hoses as most if not all of them are dry and starting to crack. Includes vacuum and coolant hoses. Water pump isn't as much a necissity to replace like the oil pump, but you should replace that too and a cheap autoparts store one will suffice with that.

What Red Devil meant is that crank walk, as much as you hear it, isn't as common as you think. I wouldn't wait for it to happen beacuse it may not even happen to your motor. If you want to rebuild, rebuild it when you wanted to. A built 7 bolt done properlly is less prone to walk.

Yeah, but I do not have the time nor money to build it, it is also my DD. I am going to work on getting a 6 bolt and building it. Any who back on topic, so belts, hoses and oil pump/water pump. Anything else I should be concerned about?

Well like inthemidst said,fuel filter?And if your doing your timing stuff,any sensors down there? Or any sensors that may be old, maybe the thermostat? Sorry,just small things that could go wrong.

Me, I would also change all lightbulbs,headlights (unless your H.I.D).Leave no excuse for the boys in blue.

Oh, an auto tensioner? Dont know if you have one or need one,I think all motors do. Change that.

Me, I would also change all lightbulbs,headlights (unless your H.I.D).Leave no excuse for the boys in blue.

Oh, an auto tensioner? Dont know if you have one or need one,I think all motors do. Change that.

I wouldn't worry about the lights as they are not crucial to a running car. The auto tensioner is part of the timing setup, which should be replaced ever time the timing belt is replaced. Along with the tensioner pulleys and balance shaft belt if it is not eliminated. Don't trust kevlar extended life either FYI.

I am going to do the whole timing/balance package, new tensioner, pulleys, etc. And I have HID's.

LOL very nice! what color h.i.d's? Anyway, good luck on your timing and everything else.

And yeah I know lights arent important enough to switch out every 6 months but hey why not!!,Atleast carry some 1157's :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back