The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Main/Rod Bearing help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels-a-turnin

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2003
troy, Michigan
I am rebuilding a 6bolt for my car, and was wanting to replace the main and rod bearings on it. If I do this does this require machining on the rods and crank?

What happend to the motor for it to need a rebuild? If it spun a bearing then yes the rod(s) and crank may need machining. If then crank needs machining then you are running into a different territory. Many people on this board will never run a machined crank because Mitsubishi says they are non-serviceable. The nitride layer on the crank will come off when machined and may become weaker.

You will only be able to tell if they need machining if you have a set of mics, calipers, or tele gauges. If you don't have any of those then you might want to have a machine shop check it to see if they are still in spec.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back