The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Main headliner backing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumenlo

15+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
So I took my old headliner out a while back becuause it was completely falling apart. My plan was to eventually get it re-covered with some better fabric. Well, months upon months of the headliner sitting behind my couch, my cats wound up wrecking it into about 30 different size pieces. Where can a replacement headliner be found? I think the dealer quoted me close to 3 or 400 bucks for the whole kit. I'd rather keep it bare than pay that much. Any ideas?

:talon:

I did some searching and couldn't find any kits that came with the headboard. I think your best option would be to find one in a junkyard. I'd imagine that most of the specimens you'll find there will be in good shape, probably just sagging like yours was.

Yeah, I would say find one in a junkyard, then just re-cover that. I have a nice write-up on re-doing it for the 1gs

I redid the headliner in my 1G a few years ago and although it was not broken (except the little tabs on the sides) I modified it to get rid of the dents for the visors.I don't know how badly shredded your old one is but I do have 2 cats and know exactly what they can do so I can guess its beyond piecing back together.However,if you want to try,I used urethane expanding insulation foam in a can to fill my visor dents....it seemed to be almost the same material and I can imagine if you just had holes with pieces missing you could fill them.There seemed to be almost an inch between the headliner and the metal roof so if it stuck up a bit on that side I really don't think it would get in the way.If you tried this you'd end up with big lumps of dried foam on the surface you're wanting to cover,a belt sander with some 120 will take it off smoothly but will also put another hole in it if you're not careful.

If I could I'd go buy one from a junkyard as well but if I couldn't find one and my old one wasn't too messed up, I'd try to patch it.

Ya, pretty much trying to salvage the old one is out of the question. I think it was shredded into about 17 different size pieces. Pretty funny actually. I always figured i'd try to find one at a junkyard, but 1g's aren't that common out here in Tucson. At least in the junkyards anyway. I might just leave it out and go with the gutted look. Depends on how much a pain in the ass it will be to find a replacement. Thanks for the input guys........

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back