The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

main and rod bearings???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSI4Life

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 2, 2009
waukesha, Wisconsin
Hello. So im finally building my 420a. All you naysayers, save your breath. Anyways, my engine has rod knock (hense the rebuild). I plan on using weisco forged pistons and eagle rods(8.8:1), but im still going to use an OEM crank. The crank im using will be brand new, in box, but the crank comes with OEM rod and main bearings as well. My goal for this build is 250-300whp, thats it. My questions is will OEM bearings be able to handle that amount of power? I would hate to get it where i want and then spin a bearing on my new build. Would i be better off just spending the extra money on aftermarket bearins so if I do one day decide to crank out more power I wont have to worry about it? Any help is greatly appreciated.:thumb:

Are you turboing your 420A? If you are going N/A, you dont need forged pistons at 8.8:1 compression. Also your power goals of 300 or even 250 horsepower are obnoxious for a N/A build with 8.8:1 compression. I have never seen a N/A dsm make more than 212, and if you are shooting for it you better have more than 10 grand to play with. Even with that, your car will barely keep up with bone stock turbo DSM's. I know you said that you dont want people to say dont do it, but you dont seem to know what you are doing at all as Im looking at your parts list and HP goals. Building a remotely powerful N/A DSM is a moneypit and many hours of labor which will not even get you into the 14's, making it absolutely useless. But thats just my $.02

if your response isn't of helpfull nature, dont bother posting; just a thought. And to anwser your question, yes my plan is to turbo my 420a. thanks for your .02 cents but you can keep it seeing as i wont be needing it. :notgood:

Hopefully they are not topline bearings. If so change them, your goals are more than the oem levels. Also it looks you are going to turbo your setup based on your compression ratio. Any other questioons i will be glad to help. Before i went to Korea i helped my buddy with his 420a build. He is planing on a turbo set up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back