The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

MAFT tuning . . . WTF!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm-onster

DSM Wiseman
Jul 11, 2004
Bloxom, Virginia
:Ok. MAybe I'm a NOOB!!! maybe i'm an idiot!!! But I cannot get my MAFT tuned... I have PTE 650s from Dejon Tool... I can't even tune my basic settings. I get arount 100 on my high trim but my low trim goes max lean even when I adjust idle max rich!!!! My mid trim floats around 100 (or where ever my high trim is tuned to)... I go wide open and i go super ruch like below 9:1 even when i dial the WOT knob all the way back!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

AND any part throttle at all and i get significant knock (knock relative to my throttle position).

There are no boost leaks. I bought a 30 gallon compressor just to test it and i've tested like 5000000000000 times. :D

I am so frustrated... i'll settle for just getting the basic settings down. SOME ONE HELP. I want to throw the maf and translator out the window :mad:

EDIT: i am basing my info on ly LM-1 Wideband... I go max rich at full throttle. and at part throttle i stumble lean then it will pick back up but I still get major knock. But i get ZERO knock at WOT.

anyone have a clue? I've been researching hard and I think it may be injector dead time causing my issues... but I am not sure... why would i go max rich on WOT?

you should still have another method of fine tuning the fuel.(afc, dsmling,etc) Do you?

Make sure you're turning the knobs the right way. Someone else had a very similar problem... which turned out to be the MAFT markings being non-intuitive, so they were richening it further instead of leaning it out. Try turning them the other way, see if that reverses it... maybe 'max rich' is the direction you're supposed to turn it when it's RUNNING rich.

Or just do a seach and find the earlier thread. :) But turning the knobs the other way is a faster way to test.

IllEagl said:
you should still have another method of fine tuning the fuel.(afc, dsmling,etc) Do you?

Yea. I caved and just shipped an EPROM ECU to DSMLink... I can't wait to get it.. I 'm real excited.

Talesin said:
Make sure you're turning the knobs the right way. Someone else had a very similar problem... which turned out to be the MAFT markings being non-intuitive, so they were richening it further instead of leaning it out. Try turning them the other way, see if that reverses it... maybe 'max rich' is the direction you're supposed to turn it when it's RUNNING rich.

Or just do a seach and find the earlier thread. But turning the knobs the other way is a faster way to test.

I'll try looking up that thread... I was following the directions from the tuning guide though :confused:

OK. I don't know if this is the thread you were talking about but I have the same problem this guy is having...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183019&highlight=knob+maft

... I mean it is EXACTLY the same problem... When i go open loop my AFR goes to 10.XX:1 and then drops down to 9:1 then probably lower (car bogs bad). I have a lot of tip in knock too. It comes on quickly... WTF IS GOING ON :cry: I checked the MAFT manual and i wen't out to my car and looked at the knobs and the markings on the knobs.. I am actually leaning out not riching it up on the WOT knob (going counter clockwise)...... man, what's happening?!

EDIT: the similarities we have are 1g ecm, LM-1 wideband, GM MAFT set up in blowthru, BOV vented, and this happens with stock heat range NGK plugs and with the one step colder NGKs.

Eventually, I ended up getting a stage III dsmchip and that solved all my tuning issues. Now, that's not to say the MAFT was messed up, more that my tuning skills were. With compensation at the ECU, it eliminated me having to fool with the MAFT, but I still get to keep my ricer whooosh from venting. LOL!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back