The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

maft tuning issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mits3gts

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2004
bellingham, Massachusetts
alright,i setup my maft and everythings hook up nice,and no boost leaks at all...i am having a problem though..the ONLY way i can get my car to idle and get my idle trim around 100% is with this..

aux-0
base-3--this is supposed to be 460cc injectors...i have 680's!!!!
my idle is at #7 which is +35%..why do i have to richen up so much.

mods are in my profile,the only thing i can think of is maybe a clogged filter,but something dont seem right here.maybe someone can help me figure this out..

Are you sure there are not boost leaks? Didn't just do a visual check?

Those are some pretty big injectors, and from my experience, the MAFT alone isn't going to help you tune them. Compensation at the ECU is the best bet.

no boost leaks,pressure tested to 20 psi and nothing,it very slowly went down...i also have a safc,but i am just trying to get the base right on the maft..
i know a chip would be best,but i had a hard time finding a 90 eprom,and IF there was one they wanted crazy money for them.i got a real good deal on the maft setup,so i just wanted to try it out.

I understand. I had so much trouble getting a tune with my MAFT, I finally got a chip. I had an EPROM already though.

I don't have a AFC, so I don't have any advice to give except that maybe one of the devices needs to be zeroed out.

well,i've been toying about with the settings for the past few hours..i got all my trims around 100%,just really weird that i have to set it to alot smaller injectors than what i have,and have to richen up the idle so much.i will change the filter out tomorrow and see what gives. i have a brand new 190,rewired..everything looks good..dont know what else to do....

i am using the stock fpr,38psi..and the injectors are pte 680's,which are rated at 43psi.i know they are going to flow less with the lower fuel pressure,but like 460's?? doesnt make any sense to me

strange...what about the maf..do you set it for 3" or 3.5"?? also...make sure your o2 sensor is in good condition...also base timing...if you have it all the way advanced or just too much, it would require more fuel (I've seen that locally)...hmmm what more...also, I saw you have afc...is it 0ed out? try also to check the conection from the afc to the harness, on the maf sensor cable...one time one of the conectors came off, only a hair of wire was conecting it, and I had to richen up 50% so I could get home and see what happend...well...hope this helps :thumb:

i have everything perfect.timing right on at 5*btdc,afc zero'd out,no boost leaks,good o2 sensor.the only thing i didnt really check is the connections,which i will do right away.i am thinking it MAY have something to do with my fuel filter or FPR,otherwise i am stumped...thanks for all the ideas though,very much appreciated.

Are you getting any CEL? How does your temp and barometer look? I had some issues with the Barameter wire when I moved the MAFT into the cabin. That threw everything out of whack.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a 255 walbro, but I'm still running on the stock fuel pressure regulator. Does this have anything to do with why I tend to run a little on the rich side?

ok this is getting even better...i checked everything again last night(timing,boostleaks,etc) i set the maft for ym 680 and tried adjust everything it didnt want to run or anything,so just for the heck of it,i swithed over to 3.5 mas,still no good no matter what adjustment i used.then i tried the extreme setting,car runs perfect,although now the maft is set for 750's,but i have everyting looking good now,my trims at 100%,no knock on a 3rd gear run,although timing was a little high 25*,i think i'm just going to leave it this way.idle is smooth,throttle response is great,spool-up time is awesome(e16g)still dont understand why i have to set it to extreme maf,but its works mint.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back