The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

MAFT gen II, factory boost gauge reads high

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micahmr2

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 18, 2005
lancaster, Pennsylvania
I installed the new MAFT gen II this weekend, using as just a translator right now, set it up using basic settings. This morning I noticed the factory boost gauges reads 7 psi when car i at 0 boost.

Well the "boost" that is shown is just a calculated value based on airflow. I would bet since now there is less restriction in the intake since now you have no maf before the turbo, it should read a little high. How much though, I'm not sure. Hopefully somebody could chime in to help you out more.

Do you have anything other than a factory boost gauge to log boost with? They really are not acurate enough to rely on. Also, double check all your vacuum lines to ensure they are good and tight and not obstructed in any way. Sometimes old lines can collapse under vacuum.
Lastly does your boost gauge actually go up with boost or is it stuck at 7 psi?

That is going to happen. The factory boost gauge is a PCM driven gauge that is derived from MAF and RPM input. So with the MAFT on their it's giving a MAF reading that is not correct to compensate for larger injectors or to lean out the car. The factory boost gauge would be very inaccurate. It's nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the input, a quick respnse, to answer all the above question, yes I have a boost gauge and when my aftermarket boost gauge reads 0 (light throttle) the factory gauge goes up to roughly 7 psi.

ALL vacuum lines are new.

I not trying to use that gauge for anything other than I noticed on the way to work one morning after I put it on that it was high. NOTE: the car runs alot richer by the amount of BLACK smoke. Stock injectors right now. I haven't messed with any adjustment other than setting the basic settings to get it to run in stock form.

Are you serious,have you not read a single post.He has a boost guage but the stocker was going up to 7psi when his REAL boost guage was at zero.He was just making sure it had to do with the new maft install.

So true, I even checked my profile and found that it clearly states VDO boost gauge

So back to the issue, yes when my VDO gauge reads zero, the factory gauge goes to 7 psi, which means the mass air flow sensor is reading too much air, which in turn means to rich.

IT GIVES YOU 2 OPTIONS, WHEN SETTING IT UP 3.5 GM SENSOR, OR ALUMINUN LS1

No I don't have a logger. I will get one.

I wouldn't have put it on yet without a logger and something to control fuel.

I really don't think people read these things carefully.

First off, it's a translator it is supposed to translate information, to allow you to use a different (GM) air flow sensor. I'm sure you know. So techincally if installed in stock settings there should be no or very little difference.

Second, the GEN II is jsut like if not better than an AFC, it has a digtial display and allows you to tune fuel at 14 differnet rpm points. (Hence, a fuel controller) It maybe not DSMlink, but it's what I have.

The whole point of this thread is to ask a question and to get general answers to 1 see if this normal, and 2 find out if anybody else has experienced this? Not too many people have a GEN II transaltor, that is why I posted. Not to waste ANYBODYS time, especially mine by getting answer back like the last one.

My bad on the Gen II thing. It's actually what I was considering for my car. I'm paranoid about my car also, so I personally would put the thing on without a logger b/c I want my car to be running well and be able to make sure it wasn't knocking like crazy.

I can only relate my experiance with the MAFT. I have a wideband and when I had stock injectors, I had the maft set for them. My idle afr was like 12:1. Now I have FIC 680's set at 680 I and very lean at idle 16:1. I have +24 at idle with my SAFC. Then under load it is very close to zeroed out. The MAFT seem to ba alittle off sometimes. That is why alot of people use it with a AFC. I started just using a MAFT and then I got a AFC and it made tuning alot easier. Wideband and logger helps alot too.

So true, I even checked my profile and found that it clearly states VDO boost gauge

So back to the issue, yes when my VDO gauge reads zero, the factory gauge goes to 7 psi, which means the mass air flow sensor is reading too much air, which in turn means to rich.

IT GIVES YOU 2 OPTIONS, WHEN SETTING IT UP 3.5 GM SENSOR, OR ALUMINUN LS1

No I don't have a logger. I will get one.

Misunderstanding thats all. Didnt look in the profile because u wrote factory gauge:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back