The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G MAF to ECU

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90_Talon_TSi_AWD

Proven Member
Jul 12, 2019
Kokomo, Indiana
Finally got to a Eureka moment.
My ECU is not registering any air flow signals from the Mass Air Flow Sensor.
Of course everything is aftermarket so that adds to the challenge.

For a 2-wire MAF Sensor, can I assume that it is good if I get a resistance measurement across the two pins?

My apologies for my rookie mistake.
I still need to figure out why I have no air flow readings in my logs (only just learned logging over this weekend).
But the sensor that I thought was a mass air flow sensor is actually a temp sensor bolted into my air intake.
So I still need to locate my mass air flow sensor.

Let me ask this - if my wideband is fluctuating an air-fuel-ratio, doesn't that mean that my mass air flow sensor is at least getting a signal to the wideband?
Apologies if that sounds too easy of a question, I'm learning more each day.

A wideband sensor measures the concentration of oxygen in the exhaust flow. Electrically it has nothing to do with a mass airflow sensor. Are you running a MAF at all? With a temperature sensor in the intake it's more likely that you're running speed density. Can you post some pictures of the engine bay and info about this car?

I can't find a MAF and I've hunted everywhere seemingly possible.
Please don't abandon me, I need assistance and guidance.
Car came with Moates and Moates died a year ago or so and I replaced with another Moates.
I've done research off-and-on during that year and I am running and driveable.
I feel like most people here have no interest in helping somebody with Moates but I really am new and opted to keep the car as-is when original Moates died.
I did not have original bin and xdf so I am literally starting from scratch on this Moates.
I am aware that everybody here would prefer I be on ecmlink but this is where I am at.

Is there any tell-tale signs I should be looking for to know if I am running speed density?
I'll grab a few pictures later this morning.

Again, I'll appreciate any assistance and guidance I can get.
Please don't abandon me just because I'm trying to get a Moates running instead of ecmlink.

Speed density has a map sensor connected to the intake manifold and an intake air temp sensor connected usually to the throttle body elbow. Sounds like it's connected to the intake pipe on yours.

And all MAF cars have a big ass air breather box, PRE-Turbo so it is attached to the snout of the turbo intake, and has a mass of 10 wires or so going to it. A Speed Density car will not have that big sensor in-line with the air filter and will just have a intake tube from the turbo to the air filter.
A picture of the engine bay will say a lot.

Here are some pictures.
Again, I highly appreciate any guidance that can be provided.
I log through a Keyspan serial-to-usb converter but I have only done one log so far, I have not learned yet how to pull "data points" from the log.
Without air flow data, I assumed that the one log that I did run is basically "worthless".
The last pic is logging via "KAXLON_Pure_DTC_and_OBD_command_ADX_v1a.adx" which allows me to view/reset CEL codes.
This is what led me to suspect MAF issues and then unable to find one.
Being new, I admittedly thought the temp sensor in my intake was an air flow sensor - I am learning.

The route that I've taken thus far is to modify injector size and deadtime and even some MAF tables to get a good idle and no knock-counts.
My knock-count was originally in the 40-50 range and this is down to 0-1 during a 30-60 second idle.
My idle was all over the place, from 450 and stalling to 2200 depending on coolant temp - I have this steady at right around 800 when warm.
That's when I finally dug into acquiring a log and found no air flow data (which confuses me as to why MAF (MAS?) table tweaks effected idle but again, "learning").

Again, many thanks in advance for any guidance that can be provided.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks for confirming.
That's what I thought too after some of the other replies.

So is running speed density a "good thing"?

Found this thread -> http://www.bcdsm.org/forum/index.php?topic=15380.0
That should provide a good starting point, I have some work ahead of me.

D@mn. Several of the links (ie, Speed density ROM images) are dead :(

Thanks for confirming.
That's what I thought too after some of the other replies.

So is running speed density a "good thing"?
It is a good thing and here is what I like about Speed Density......I run a lot of boost, well more than most ordinary people, so if I blow off a intercooler coupler, or toast a turbo (break a shaft or whatever), on Speed Density, I can still get to my destination OR HOME and the car just runs like it is a non-turbo car. No stalling, bucking or hassling with the car just to get to where I was headed. I have done all of those things and my car still got me home, no worries as it wasn't relying on the MAF for any input, only a Intake Air Temp sensor and the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensors to operate. I enjoy tuning speed density (but at the moment, I can't for the life of me fix MY OWN CAR....another story) and it is pretty easy to learn.
Marty

Not for your tuning setup, I am sorry. I think you found a source it looks like though, so I hope that member can help you out!

My fingers are crossed.
I admit that I was skeptic at first but it's nice to find a few people here not dismissing me preferring to stick with Moates (at least for now).
It may be a steeper learning curve but I figure that only helps me in the long run.

In case it's not clear here are the two sensors you'll use once you have SD software for your ECU.

MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) Sensor

IAT (Intake Air Temp) Sensor

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back