The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Machine shop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willelvs

Proven Member
Mar 20, 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
What's up guys? Well since my timing belt broke I've been recently tearing into my car to get the head off. After tearing into the car I have found a lot of half ass unacceptable work done by previous owner I figured what the hell and just rebuild the engine so I know it's good and seeing as how my 2nd gear synchro is shot I might as well get a new tranny. But I was just wondering where you do you guys go for your machine work?

Yea I've been doing a ton of reading about everything I can do myself. All I need the machine shop to do is to check to make sure my head isn't warped not that it should be but hey you never know. Fix if necessary and put in some new valve guides and maybe new valve seats and clean it up some. I can do valves and everything else. Thanks for link I'm definitely gonna be doing some reading but as I live in alaska shipping a head to Tennessee could be pretty costly and take a long time. I was just curious who the locals up here go to as I'm pretty new to alaska and have no clue about the work of the shops around town. Thanks again!

Wow looked at some the stuff on that post and now I'm scared I might have 7 bolt instead of the 6 bolt I was told it had. Found out I have a 7 bolt head on it. Cam sensor on intake side, two bigger studs on the exhaust side. Guess I'll truly know when I take it out. Not that the 7 bolt is a bad thing but I would just prefer the 6 bolt after reading about the 7.

Take a look at this link where a fellow is having troubles figuring out if the head is 6-bolt or 7-bolt. It might help you figure it out for sure.

Also you can check head/block for levelness yourself, just need a machinist's ruler and feeler gauges. You can get feeler gauges in pretty much any part store, and the ruler at a home improvement store.

Never been to Alaska, so can't help you with that other than say "Search google", would have to wait for another local to chime in.

Yea well I guess we will see about the engine when I pull it but I believe I have a 1g 7 bolt head. Yea I saw that and I have a feeler guage guess I'll do that myself just waiting on this engine stand to get here. I'm kinda a stand still on my car. I've taken everything off that I can. Gotta go get an allen T handle so I can get the head off. I'm really tempted to spend the money and just send my head to bogus after reading a lot of his tech articles I wouldn't mind spending the extra money for the experience he has on our heads.

This is where I've gone few times he is very familiar with DSM heads seems always have few in there for repair. He sometimes has complete heads as well. I know I traded him few heads last time he did one for me for little off my machine work. https://plus.google.com/107444891144987342841/about?gl=us&hl=en
The place is called A/C Machine in Birchwood its out close to Birchwood airport. The link has number and map.

Just thought I would share.
I have been taking some of the items I needed machined to this same place A C machine. He does good work. But make sure you tell him exactly what you need and want. I took in my block to get cleaned decked and over overboard .020
Also took in my flywheel and pistons and rods to be put together.
He did all this for a reasonable price I guess. But he installed new balance bearings in my block without asking and charged me $50 for parts. I was a little upset because I am doing bse. Also when I picked up the block I asked what piston to wall clearance did he use. He replied whatever was on the manley piston sheet that came with the pistons. At the time I assumed there was a specific setting for dsm on the sheet turns out there are a couple different clearances on the sheet so I called and he said he couldn't remember.
However I also asked for new freeze plugs and they look new but I can't be sure. He did not charge me for freeze plugs or putting the pistons on the rods. So I guess in the end it would be same price.
Also he does not have a torque plate for the 4g63.
I plan to bring my head to get cleaned and a valve job along with my crank to get cleaned, balanced, and polished.
So just make sure he knows exactly what you want. I am pleased overall. But just thought I would share.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back