The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Machine Shop Scared of Eclipses!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboFever

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 1, 2005
Paterson, New_Jersey
Ok so I am getting my head rebuilt so I start calling a few local shops and asking for prices. This one shop replies "sure we rebuild heads" I asked the price he replied "what kind of car is it?" I told him 95 Eclipse 2.0 turbo, he replies "nope dont want no part of it." really? I said "yea I had my fill of those things, dont want no part of it.,"

Wow I couldnt stop laughing for at least five minutes.

There are a ton of those type businesses everywhere.

I can understand. The normal run of the mill mechanics can't work on anything as technologically advanced as a 4G63T.

Honestly, I fear the 6G72TT more than the 4G63T.

gsxtacy

Alright, ill start.

DSM's making mechanics throw wrenches since 1989.

Next?

well, if your in paterson you've got turbotrix south of you and dsmotorsports west of you, each are probably about an hour or so give or take but pretty well known shops

More likely your machinist is fed up with having to deal with DSM owners who have fantasies that their 10+ year-old, beat-to-death cars are effing Maseratis.

gsxtacy said:

I can understand. The normal run of the mill mechanics can't work on anything as technologically advanced as a 4G63T.

gsxtacy

Yeah. I'm sure that's why.

:rolleyes:

gsxtacy said:

gsxtacy

I wouldn't call the 4g63t a technologically advanced head... they are quite easy to work on, even easier then the 420a heads.

Lol... Ya machine shops dont like em... As if were sorry that we dont drive a chain rattling lifter ticking 2.5 pontiac Grand am... LOL but hey....The Beauty of the 4g63T head is a marvel. My local Guy had 2 cut up his socket so he could get the keepers in place of some sort.. and replied it was a B**** But he only charged me 80.00 for labor that included complete installation of all new valves and lapping them in with lapping compound.. I thought he was more then fair.

They hate them because the owners come in the next day with ANOTHER problem....LOL..they never feel like its a finished job..

If a machine shop does a good job, and good prices. They will have a loyal DSM customer for life.

most 16 valve heads are a bi*** when your use to the old V8, 8 valves per head and the springs are super easy to get at. As compared to most DOHC 4 cylinders with the springs sunk down in the head, making the biggest pain trying to get the locks on.

Whats fairly strange is that the 4g63t head is hailed as one of the best designed/flowing heads for a 4 cyl turbo.

I know in the 944 community, and several others, they look to the 4g63t as the "best" when modifying their own heads...

But I partially agree with Defiant. He probably had a couple guys come in with heads, and maybe the machine shop didn't know exactly what they were doing, maybe the customer was just rediculously picky... but I'm guessing the guy had a few bad experiences :coy:

i got turn down 2,i took it to where we take the delorean heads to get done,he asked me what car and said nope. ROFL

I do my own head rebuilds I just need a machinist to clean it and flatten the surface area, and MAYBE lap. but I can do it myself if I get the compound. Its not hard, :thumb: I don't know why shops are always complaining about it. :notgood:

laserspeeddemon said:
I do my own head rebuilds I just need a machinist to clean it and flatten the surface area, and MAYBE lap. but I can do it myself if I get the compound. Its not hard, :thumb: I don't know why shops are always complaining about it. :notgood:

I did mine myself before too ... not hard if you have the right tools.

I can almost beat that (though slightly off-topic)....A few years back, I had a Volvo 740 Turbo that I had to take to six (yes, six) reputable local shops before I found one that would be willing to do almost ANY kind of work on. Ended up still having to take it to the dealer for a few things. :rolleyes:

First, the head gasket went south, and as she was my grocery-getter, I didn't really feel the need or desire to tear into it myself, so I started shopping around...I got quoted a ridiculous $600.00 in labor just on the fact that it was a Volvo WTF ...Needless to say, I became quite familiar with her head shortly thereafter.........

What is it with me and buying cars that no one wants to work on??? LOL

:toobad:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back