The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Mac Commercials..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The difference between OSX and windows as far as hardware is concerened is this. Sure they now use same CPUs. BUT, Apple has the operating system designed for their specific hardware. With windows you have the choice of a million different choices. Different mother boards, different chipsets, different memory, different video cards. On a mac, apple knows exactly what is going inside each box and the operating system does not need to beable to run different types of hard ware.
This has its ups and downs. Positive is that overall more stable. Down side is that its pretty much a closed box system and you cant change any thing.. limited upgrade ability and overall expensive.

Yeah not really.

Have you ever tried adding a printer to a mac? How about a different mouse? You can do it which makes your specialization argument a bit less valid. Yeah you are right there is less choice about what you can run on a Mac (unless you know something about BSD) but you can still run a number of different combinations without much difficulty. So what if you do know something about BSD? Well then you can run just about anything under the sun (no pun intended).

The architecture argument in silly. Mac can run on just about anything Windows can and hardware diversification has nothing to do with Windows or Mac. How long do you think it will be before MacOS ships on budget computers? Windows was designed to run on specific setups too but the fact that it can use a modular driver system should be considered a plus not a negative and do you really think Apple rewrites its operating system every time they come up with a new setup? They do the same thing, there just isn't a de-facto assumption that if some new piece of total shit $3 hardware doesn't work right that the problem is with the OS. Windows OSs can't be designed to run on every piece of hardware that will be invented so stop assuming things and get rid of your double standard. Also I have yet to see any reason why software matched to specific hardware is any better and keep in mind that I'm a former Gentoo user whose makeopts list was as large as your head. It isn't like Apple creates new binaries for every architecture combination available or you would never get the OS to run on an upgraded or equivalent processor.

My rant is pretty worthless anyways though, I could have just said that my friends don't know very much about computers so I don't listen to them but that wouldn't have helped me pass the time nearly as well.

Macs are great. They're just too damned expensive, by a factor of about three. I'll put up with the Windows bullshit if it means I can run either a lot more, or just more systems for less money.

Some day, I really will try Ubuntu. Honest. I've looked at it, and had it on a laptop, but never really got after it.

Guy, just letting you know that Ubuntu 8.10 is now available.
Ubuntu 8.10 now available for download - Engadget

Yeah not really.

Have you ever tried adding a printer to a mac? How about a different mouse? You can do it which makes your specialization argument a bit less valid. Yeah you are right there is less choice about what you can run on a Mac (unless you know something about BSD) but you can still run a number of different combinations without much difficulty. So what if you do know something about BSD? Well then you can run just about anything under the sun (no pun intended).

The architecture argument in silly. Mac can run on just about anything Windows can and hardware diversification has nothing to do with Windows or Mac. How long do you think it will be before MacOS ships on budget computers? Windows was designed to run on specific setups too but the fact that it can use a modular driver system should be considered a plus not a negative and do you really think Apple rewrites its operating system every time they come up with a new setup? They do the same thing, there just isn't a de-facto assumption that if some new piece of total shit $3 hardware doesn't work right that the problem is with the OS. Windows OSs can't be designed to run on every piece of hardware that will be invented so stop assuming things and get rid of your double standard. Also I have yet to see any reason why software matched to specific hardware is any better and keep in mind that I'm a former Gentoo user whose makeopts list was as large as your head. It isn't like Apple creates new binaries for every architecture combination available or you would never get the OS to run on an upgraded or equivalent processor.

My rant is pretty worthless anyways though, I could have just said that my friends don't know very much about computers so I don't listen to them but that wouldn't have helped me pass the time nearly as well.

You know I agree with you on a lot of things. But still I dont think I am explaining my point across properly.
Obvously Apple does not rewrite every thing just for a new computer. But they know exactly what hardware will be inside the computer, and know what will work.
With windows its pretty much upto third party developers to write the drivers and software...

As for how long I think Mac OS will be on budget computers? Honestly, las a legal option, I dont think it will ever happen. Apple likes their money ;). I think the mac mini is probably the cheapest mac consumers will see for a long time.

As for windows driver system, its a plus, but has its negatives as well. Thats why I stated that each concept has their ups and downs :D

They more or less use the same driver system.

It is a legal thing, I'm implying that Apple is moving away from dealing with hardware and the trend to me at least seems like they will go software only like Sega did in the console world.

The gain that you point to is very real in that there is an accepted nomenclature for compatible parts that work well whereas all of the Windows compatibility nomenclature is overrun by crappy products. The gain for macs is that they can approve individual pieces of hardware and discount any problems with other hardware as the hardware being incompatible, it isn't an operating system feature it is a marketing feature and one that will go away with substantially improved market share.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back