The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

M/T car drops clutch in reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96dsmftw

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2011
Richmond, Kentucky
I am having an issue where if I throw it in reverse and start moving backwards about a second later, while letting the clutch out slowly, it drops the clutch all the way even though my foot is still slightly pushing down on the pedal. It does it in first too but I can keeps the revs up and let out slowly it won't. It has recently gotten alot worse. It will drop really hard and going back into first is mildly hard until I drive it around and it seems to settle. I am pretty sure the TOB is going as well, been whining until I push pedal in then comes back when let out. Stock clutch as to my knowledge. I was thinking about getting the TOB replaced and am probably gonna get a southbend system while in there. Wish I had room to do it myself....

Kinda sounds like your fork isn't able to hold up the pressure on the TOB for too long so it reengages the clutch. Leaking clutch master and/or slave cylinder maybe? Failing TOB will whine when the clutch is pushed in I think. Whining when the clutch is not pushed usually means an input shaft bearing or some other bearing is going.

Just watched the jacks transmission video on adjusting the clutch and I CANNOT move the clutch fork by hand. He says I should be able to, but he also had the clutch assembly out of the car. Could this cause the problem?

I cannot move it side to side by hand at all. I will loosen it up and see what happens. I saw on the video if the rod is too far in it stops the fluid from moving and makes the fork hard to move.

...went outside and pushed the fork from under the car (way better leverage). I got the fork to move and the slave cylinder rod went in and didnt come back out. Im gonna screw the rod towards the firewall and see if it stiffens up. And check for leaks.

Turned the master cylinder rod in and out. Slave rod stayed sucked in everytime. No leaks anywhere. Guess its time to drop $65 on a new slave cylinder??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back