1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Street Build "Lucky" Sevens Talon

Year:
Model/Trim:
Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Kryndon

Kryndon Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2014
    Bulgaria, Europe
    So I finally got the overboosting issue under control now. I swear this 16G is just something else! No matter how much I ported it, boost kept creeping real high. So I modeled up an external wastegate O2 housing, had the flanges cut, elbows welded and I slapped on a Chinese 40mm Turbosmart Comp Gate with a 1 bar spring for the time being (still untuned :(). Initially I had issues with exhaust leaks and seemingly the gate was leaking through the shaft which I learned was typical for knockoffs but after applying some RTV in a few places, it's now leak free and no more exhaust leaks! Also a very important change I been wanting to do, I clocked the comp housing down and now I can run the stock AC fan while the charge pipe sits lower to the ground and gets better cooling from the air stream underneath. Wideband reads great and the response is REALLY improved. Feels pretty quick now by my standards, but of course.... IT NEEDS MORE! :hellyeah:

With Gate.png
    IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG
    119239985_2242924579186812_3939632550474158483_n.jpg 119560072_1453117521541472_6287074550343357656_n.jpg

IMG_2112.JPG
    IMG_E2111.JPG

Also managed to locate possibly the last set of Stealth wheels around my parts of the world and after a quick repaint, they sit reeeeeal sweet on the Talon. They came with shitty low profile stretched tires so those need to get replaced with beefier rubber, but the wheels are a great fit for this body style in my opinion. Here's how they look on the Talon, and how they looked on my previous Eclipse.

IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2129.JPG

During all this, my brother finally got his dream car as well! After owning two different 8th gen Galants, he found a real nice Legnum VR-4, the 2.5 V6 twin turbo AWD one! I worked on it a bit to get some things replaced and checked out, and god I hated working on that car. But let me tell you, it handles like it's on rails and pulls like a train! ~300 hp feels way different on that car than in a DSM, that's for sure.

IMG_2193.JPG

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020

Street Build 4K  13

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.43 @ 99.7 · 2G DSM
  2. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, UK, Europe
    Oh them blacl talon wheels suit the erm.... Talon LOL good choice and do they still clear the calipers fine as i could imagine they a bit tight without spacers ( i could be wrong as i dont know the talon wheels specs)

Road Race Build 11K  12  60

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    175 whp · 180.1 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  3. Kryndon

Kryndon Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2014
    Bulgaria, Europe
    Hah Bobby I got you there! Those are OEM Dodge Stealth R/T wheels, never came on DSMs! They are 17x8.5" and +46ET. They do clear the caliper frontally as the same calipers also come on the AWD Stealths, however I had a slight issue with the weld bead on the inside of the wheel rubbing against the caliper's top and bottom parts. That's because my bracket pushes the bottom ear of the caliper slightly outward and thus it starts to rub against the bead. Just a little bit of grinding was needed to get it to clear, so it's all good. These are really beefy wheels and quite heavy, but I can sacrifice some performance over style :cool:. I ran the same ones on my Eclipse but sold the car along with the wheels.

Street Build 4K  13

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.43 @ 99.7 · 2G DSM