The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

"Lucky" Sevens Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I finally got the overboosting issue under control now. I swear this 16G is just something else! No matter how much I ported it, boost kept creeping real high. So I modeled up an external wastegate O2 housing, had the flanges cut, elbows welded and I slapped on a Chinese 40mm Turbosmart Comp Gate with a 1 bar spring for the time being (still untuned :(). Initially I had issues with exhaust leaks and seemingly the gate was leaking through the shaft which I learned was typical for knockoffs but after applying some RTV in a few places, it's now leak free and no more exhaust leaks! Also a very important change I been wanting to do, I clocked the comp housing down and now I can run the stock AC fan while the charge pipe sits lower to the ground and gets better cooling from the air stream underneath. Wideband reads great and the response is REALLY improved. Feels pretty quick now by my standards, but of course.... IT NEEDS MORE! :hellyeah:

With Gate.png

IMG_2108.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

119239985_2242924579186812_3939632550474158483_n.jpg
119560072_1453117521541472_6287074550343357656_n.jpg

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_E2111.JPG

Also managed to locate possibly the last set of Stealth wheels around my parts of the world and after a quick repaint, they sit reeeeeal sweet on the Talon. They came with shitty low profile stretched tires so those need to get replaced with beefier rubber, but the wheels are a great fit for this body style in my opinion. Here's how they look on the Talon, and how they looked on my previous Eclipse.

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

During all this, my brother finally got his dream car as well! After owning two different 8th gen Galants, he found a real nice Legnum VR-4, the 2.5 V6 twin turbo AWD one! I worked on it a bit to get some things replaced and checked out, and god I hated working on that car. But let me tell you, it handles like it's on rails and pulls like a train! ~300 hp feels way different on that car than in a DSM, that's for sure.

IMG_2193.JPG

Last edited:
Oh them blacl talon wheels suit the erm.... Talon LOL good choice and do they still clear the calipers fine as i could imagine they a bit tight without spacers ( i could be wrong as i dont know the talon wheels specs)

Oh them blacl talon wheels suit the erm.... Talon LOL good choice and do they still clear the calipers fine as i could imagine they a bit tight without spacers ( i could be wrong as i dont know the talon wheels specs)

Hah Bobby I got you there! Those are OEM Dodge Stealth R/T wheels, never came on DSMs! They are 17x8.5" and +46ET. They do clear the caliper frontally as the same calipers also come on the AWD Stealths, however I had a slight issue with the weld bead on the inside of the wheel rubbing against the caliper's top and bottom parts. That's because my bracket pushes the bottom ear of the caliper slightly outward and thus it starts to rub against the bead. Just a little bit of grinding was needed to get it to clear, so it's all good. These are really beefy wheels and quite heavy, but I can sacrifice some performance over style :cool:. I ran the same ones on my Eclipse but sold the car along with the wheels.

Not much of an update, but the Talon is getting a long rest this year. I'm planning on finally getting an eprom ECU + DSMlink later in Autumn, as well as bigger injectors (maybe 850s?) and finally patching up some of the rusty spots and a complete respray.

For anyone that's following this build, what would you personally do if you were at this stage? Would you do something else, install other types of parts...? I'm hoping with the ECM I'll be able to slowly tune it to break just north of ~350 bhp and get a nice stable daily boost level of 1.7-1.8 bar (about 25ish psi).

Still torn between 3 color choices: Keep it OEM black, go full white with a salmon pink pearl, or choose a completely random color, like tan, yellow.

I think White pearl will be great because it will make the car pop more, be more bearable during summer (I ain't got AC), and just look great in photoshoots. + it's the cheapest paint anyway.

Aight, 8 months later wow what a year it's been. Had a really cool temporary job doing street view mapping for Apple around Europe and saved up enough that I could finally afford ECMLink!

I found a trustworthy guy on the facebook classifieds who sold me his ECU + Cable + AFPR and FIC 1000cc injectors. He's not on the forums as he moved over to the EVO platform but it's so nice when you get people willing to ship expensive parts across the pond!

I also had to port the 16G hot side for a third time to really get the boost creep in check, and I installed a Turbosmart manual boost controller because the factory solenoid apparently has been dead for quite awhile... To aid the EVO 9 pump, I decided to do a rewire which was actually way easier than I though which kept me from doing it in the first place. Oh, and I followed a guide here on how to install Chrysler 300C hood struts and I'm just so happy with this little cheap mod, it gives a lot of quality of life and easy access to the engine bay with no damn prop in the way. Oh, and on the subject of struts, I finally bought struts for the rear hatch! Ya, f***in' 6 years too late but I got 'em!!! Lastly, I installed energy suspension poly bushings for the front and rear antiroll bars, as well as the shifter base bushings and roller bearings for the shifter cables. It feels more direct now with close to no slop. From now on I've mostly been working on learning ECMLink and remapping the car slowly. Some of you have already helped with advice and looking at my logs, so thanks for that. I'll be installing SD later this month so hopefully that will allow for a better tune.

Here's pics of all these things!
IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_3014.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG

IMG_E3005.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

IMG_2915.JPG

Some really cool progress on this car! It's got to be the only Eagle Talon (maybe the only Eagle) in all of Bulgaria! Possibly the only one in Europe.... Does it get a lot of attention from people?

Some really cool progress on this car! It's got to be the only Eagle Talon (maybe the only Eagle) in all of Bulgaria! Possibly the only one in Europe.... Does it get a lot of attention from people?
There are already some imported Talons in Europe. I know of some in Germany and Poland.

Thanks for the kind words. There is actually only one other 2G turbo Talon in Bulgaria but it's the pre-facelift and the owner swapped Eclipse bumpers on it. There are another 3-4 1G Talons, the rest are N/A Eclipses. Timo is right, I've also seen some Talons in Germany but they are still much rarer.

Wow it's been almost 2 years yet again from my last update. Kind of goes to show how suddenly things start to... stop breaking.... Once you replace or repair everything!! Happy to say I haven't blown up the engine yet and I've learned how to tune with ECMlink both for MAF and Speed Density. It took a lot of time and fuel out on the road but I'm happy with the current state of the car and the map. It's mostly been maintenance ever since, fluids, oils, sunroof repair and brake caliper reconditioning.

One of the very last and latest mods I did which I do feel the effect of, is a full MAF delete since I was just using the MAF as a coupler between the turbo intake and stock filter box. I designed my own adapter and had a friend 3D print it. It looks amazing and I even branded it with my simple logo.

378200256_1106987063611394_6841928569595840013_n.jpg

378239684_1358865354701745_219877745729698112_n.jpg

378211874_1702034216968629_1424616771365344999_n.jpg

378211862_825670079238231_5022767797038477589_n.jpg

Because of the freer flowing intake to the turbo, it is not even more responsive and torquey at lower RPMs. Definitely a mod I'm glad I did and happy to have another custom part designed by me on my car.

Sadly, I am now seriously thinking about selling my dream car due to circumstances. I also have an R33 Skyline which I am in the process of restoring and I wont be able to afford to have both cars. If anybody in Europe is reading this and is interested in buying my Talon, feel free to shoot me a message and we can discuss it more.

Well, all good things come to an end. I had to sell the Talon, my dream car #2, to a good friend of mine. "Had" maybe isn't the best word, but let's say the most practical and right decision was to do it this way and now. Didn't want to part with it, but also didn't want to let it keep rotting and not being driven. I am planning on moving to Canada and it's better to save as much money as possible and sell the cars. I'm almost finished with the Skyline too. Hopefully I can find a decent auto AWD Talon once in Canada, because let me tell you, I ain't out of the DSM game just yet!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back