The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Lowered My Car Today But Didn't Mean To....Blown Balljoint...Pics Galore!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That happend to me when I had my 99 spyder I now have a 95 gst maby I should change them all i didnt know about the re-call man that sucks mine broke in a bank of america parking lot that i visit alot and they said I could change it there! But my fender got really screwed up!!!! It was the cleanest spyder too 99 silver with black top all black interior and leather. After fixing it some 18yr old kid hit me in his lifted jeep and totaled my spyder out big time!! Now I have a 95 gst im gonna change those things its embarrasing and its a pain!

Out of curiosity, my car creaks when I turn and the car has seems really stiff when coming out of a corner. As in I have to force the car to turn back straight. Is my steering problem related to this control arm problem?

i will say right before mine broke, the wheel would not turn it self back straight

I installed new tie rods thinking that would perhaps fix it and the car still has the same problem.

I just ordered my parts from Bestsupesnion on eBay. Got the lateral arms, upper and lower control arms w/ balljoints, outer tie rod ends and sway bar end links for a whopping $280!!!

Sure as hell beats spending $1000 from Southwest Mitsubishi. But they did hook me up with a harmonic balancer for $110 rather then Buschurs $120. LOL

Got her all done up yesterday.

New LCA's delivered....Ordered from "Bestsuspension" on Ebay.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

New CV installed...

I didn't drive her all week so I gave her a bath and chilled with her on the beach. This is the first time I went an entire week without driving my car since she's been registered and I pray to god it's the last.

At Fort Lauderdale Beach

Does it feel any better? Ride quality wise?

Is your front mount 7" tall? It'd look better with a 10 inch one and the bumper cut out. I also suggest some yellow fogs. It looks bad ass and having no bulbs in the clear corners. Just there for show.

Does it feel any better? Ride quality wise?

Is your front mount 7" tall? It'd look better with a 10 inch one and the bumper cut out. I also suggest some yellow fogs. It looks bad ass and having no bulbs in the clear corners. Just there for show.

It definitely feels better and there's no more funny sounds or creaking from the front suspension. I'm gonna also replace my laterals next weekend.

Yea, I have the 7" core and I need to call ETS to get a deal on upgrading to their 10 inch core and yes I'll be cutting the top lip out of the bumper when I do that. I hate yellow fogs and clear sidemarkers, Im trying to keep the car as stock as possible on the exterior.

Funny motherf.....er aren't you?:DLOL John was on his way home from work so I called his ass since I was over in his side of town.

A couple weeks ago I stopped by Satan and had them check my VIN to see if the recall was done and they had record of it being done is 2001. I'm wondering if there's something they can do especially since it was their part that failed. They might try to give me the out of warranty speech especially since it's been seven years and these parts go bad over time. I'm calling them tomorrow to see what they have to say because the last time I went there the service guys were pretty cool; if not I'll just do the job myself or wait till you get back so you can give me a hand. :p

No luck getting the repairs covered by mitsu?

Mine failed about 2 years ago on my 95 and chrysler ended up covering the repairs fully. The recall states its a "lifetime" recall but I think they have been trying to sneak out of it with people as of lately.

P.S. My car failed when it had already had the recall done prior. They did cover it the 2nd time for me. They also said my transfercase recall was done, and it needed to be done again too. That was also covered the 2nd time around too.

-Brian
Street Tuned Motorsports.com - Rochester NY

Can you just go to your local Mitsu dealer and ask if your car has had the lower ball joint recall done or what? Do they look up your VIN or jack up the car or what?

You can call, give them the VIN and they should be able to look it up for you. If you have issues with that there should be a 1-800 number for mitsu you can call.

If it has been done before, and you want it checked again they will. If it doesnt need the recall done again they will charge you a diagnostic fee for looking at the car/time spent putting it on lift etc. If it does need the recall mitsu will cover the diagnostic fee.

I think this is the number to call
1-888-MITSU2008

I think this is the number to call
1-888-MITSU2008

I just called and bitched them out and I was kinda over the top by the way. I actually read this statement to her and all she could do was laugh:

The recall states its a "lifetime" recall but I think they have been trying to sneak out of it with people as of lately.

She first tried to give me the same 12000 mile/12 month crap that the dealer service dept. gave me but I wasn't having it. She asked me a bunch of questions about damages, how fast I was going, if I was wearing my seatbelt, where it happened, how it was repaired, how much etc. So now Im waiting on a case manager to call me back. :| So we'll see.

Looks like I need to verify the recall was fixed on my 97GST since I hear a knocking sound occasionally (May be more than my old motor mounts). Hope you get somewhere with Mits. Here are the details of the recall if anyone needs it.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
MITSUBISHI / ECLIPSE 1995-1999
MITSUBISHI / ECLIPSE SPYDER 1997-1999
MITSUBISHI / GALANT 1994-1998
MITSUBISHI / SPYDER 1996

Recall Number: 00V421001
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. IF THE RUBBER BOOTS ON THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINTS OF THE FRONT SUSPENSION WERE DAMAGED DURING ASSEMBLY, DIRT AND WATER CAN INTRUDE. ALSO, MMC HAS ADDED THE POTENTIAL OF LEAKING MOISTURE, WHICH CAN CAUSE THE BALL STUD TO CORRODE.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINT TO SEPARATE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH. THIS CAMPAIGN SUPERCEDES MMC'S PREVIOUS SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN, SEE 99V-066.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINT FOR WEAR. BALL JOINTS THAT EXHIBIT WEAR BEYOND THE ESTABLISHED TOLERANCE WILL BE REPLACED WITH NEWLY DESIGNED LATERAL ARM BALL JOINTS. BALL JOINTS THAT ARE WITHIN THE ESTABLISHED TOLERANCE WILL BE CLEANED AND A SPECIAL SEALANT WILL BE APPLIED TO PREVENT INTRUSION OF MOISTURE.
Notes:
OWNER NOTIFICATION WILL BE CONDUCTED IN PHASES. THE FIRST PHASE BEGAN APRIL 2, 2001, AND THE FINAL PHASE WILL BE COMPLETED ON SEPTEMBER 3, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT MITSUBISHI AMERICA AT 1-888-MITSU-2001 (1-888-648-7820). ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

I just called and bitched them out and I was kinda over the top by the way. I actually read this statement to her and all she could do was laugh:

She first tried to give me the same 12000 mile/12 month crap that the dealer service dept. gave me but I wasn't having it. She asked me a bunch of questions about damages, how fast I was going, if I was wearing my seatbelt, where it happened, how it was repaired, how much etc. So now Im waiting on a case manager to call me back. :| So we'll see.

she laughed? seems kind of rude. Was she laughing AT you, or because she knew it what I said was true? LOL

Anything from the "case" manager yet?

-Brian

Yea, the case manager called me yesterday. He gave me the same story but he wouldn't budge. He just kept apologizing and shit. He said there's nothing he can do for me. That motherf$&ker...LOL He said that "maybe" if I had brought it to the dealership they "might have" done something for me but most likely not. The recall was done when the car had 40k+ miles and now it has a lot more so whatever, I already did the job. I just thought maybe those f&%kers would reimburse me.

Curious as to how long people have been driving around with this issue. It's been at least 5 months for me.

On a daily driver, no less.

sorry to bring this up again... I'm hearing some creaking and clicking in my front suspension (more on the passenger side). I just called up a mitsu dealer and was told the recall had been done to my car in 03, with an updated part so the lifetime recall aspect of it may not be applicable.

Anyone have the recall done twice?

I got my lower control arm from Rockautoparts.com they price was good and the product was good. Let me tell you though when it came time to take the bolt out that goes through the damper fork that was a PITA!!!!! I had to take an angle grinder to it to get it off. Alot of people say they have a problem getting the actual ball joint part off because it will either spin the whole bolt when your trying to get the nut off or it with just be completely seized. I strongley suggest spraying the hell out of everybolt that the control arm has on it with PBBLASTER and letting it sit for a little while.

sorry to bring this up again... I'm hearing some creaking and clicking in my front suspension (more on the passenger side). I just called up a mitsu dealer and was told the recall had been done to my car in 03, with an updated part so the lifetime recall aspect of it may not be applicable.

Anyone have the recall done twice?

I had the same problem, thought it was my balljoint, ended up being my brakes being loose.

thanks for the info!! I'll check the brake calipers too then. Haven't changed pads on this rig for 2-3 years tho..

I also called a mitsu dealer, they said I can bring the car in pay the 60$ inspection fee and if the balljoints have failed again they will replace under the recall and refund the fee.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back