The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Low oil pressure, lifter noise??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talontsi3

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2006
keene, New_Hampshire
Hey guy’s I have been having very low oil pressure, My vac is at 14lbs I have no leaks that I could find. Before I got my head work (hks cams, port and polish, 3 angle valve job) I had a little bit of engine noise but nothing new with dsm’s. At idle I have very bad lifter noise or so it sounds like, Sometimes you can hear it almost like click off and then the noise goes away like it got enough oil, other times I will have to hit the gas a little bit for it to go away. Even when driving The stock gauge reads very low, right around the first line. Any help would be great,
-alex

The stock gauge is very unreliable and the senders have been known to give erratic readings. I would install an aftermarket electric oil pressure gauge and see what the real readings are. If the readings from an aftermarket gauge are very low as well then I would suspect an issue with the oil pump or an internal oiling issue. Bearing damage usually follows.

With respect to the lifter noise if they've never been cleaned before this can cause some random tapping or loud ticking. There's a great article here on lifter cleaning procedures:

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/lifters.html

Just for kicks, what kind of oil are you running and what weight? Lighter oils have a tendency to increase valvetrain related noise. Also, do you feel any performance loss or is the motor still running strong?

Keep us posted on what you find.

Andy

The car has always had mobile 1 synthetic 10-30. They have never been cleaned as far as I know. The motor seems pretty strong but at times it feels like there is a little loss, But that just might be me..
thanks-

I'd get a real gauge on it, clean the lifters (or replace them with new 3rd gen big bore lifters) and let us know if it helped. The oil pressure readings from an aftermarket gauge will tell us plenty.

Also another thing to put in your mind.......if you go with a real gauge the readings at idle (warmed up to temperature) is around 20ishPSI. IIRC the service point is 11PSI, but someone else would have to confirm.

Ok I was planning on getting new gauges when putting the evo 16G on But I will get an aftermarket oil pressure gauge asap. And I will see if I can pick up some 3rd gen lifters. I'll keep you posted thanks again guys.
alex-

Do you have any suggestions on what oil? Has anyone ran royal purple, or ams? I have no experience with anything other than mobile 1.. Thanks again.
alex

You can try some Mobil 1 15W-50, but changing the oil may or may not solve the problem. As a matter of fact that's the last thing I'd do. You have an obvious issue with oil pressure readings and getting an accurate gauge is the first step in choosing the next course of action.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back