The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

General Low octane ping.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireraven

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2020
Iowa Park, Texas
I'm wondering does anyone else have issues with low octane ping. When I got my toy first 1 minute I was told premium only and if it pings use an octane booster. I have owned other cars with the same thing if I ran low octane it did it I put high octane in runs perfect. Any suggestions?

The inside of my car's fuel door has a sticker that say "premium fuel only". I trust the engineers at Mitsubishi took the time to put the sticker where I couldn't miss it for a reason & I haven't tried low octane.

I will look tomorrow. Mines at the upholstery shop. Pretty sure mine says unleaded gas but it may say premium. I was just personally told to only use high octane and if it pings add octane booster. Since I have always carried a booster bottle but I have had it ping on seeming gas just not up to par. Thanks for the reply. Just making sure I'm not totally destroying this 6.8k mile original motor.

Last edited:
Is it a Turbo car? If so it requires Premium. If you use a lower octane the knock sensor will pull timing when the motor knocks (which isn't ever good, will break rings), hampering performance.

Is it a Turbo car? If so it requires Premium. If you use a lower octane the knock sensor will pull timing when the motor knocks (which isn't ever good, will break rings), hampering performance.
Yep turbo car. Ok I have heard it ping then I added the octane booster to it immediately and it stopped I just waa wanting to check with others. On facebook guy said it needed to be tuned better but I highly questioned that that answer.

Yep turbo car. Ok I have heard it ping then I added the octane booster to it immediately and it stopped I just waa wanting to check with others. On facebook guy said it needed to be tuned better but I highly questioned that that answer.
It can be tuned "better" to get rid of the knock with low octane, but ideally you would always run the highest octane you can with performance cars. The 1g timing map is considered an aggressive map so you could turn the timing down as a way to reduce knock. Lot's of options.

Last edited:
I'm wondering does anyone else have issues with low octane ping. When I got my toy first 1 minute I was told premium only and if it pings use an octane booster. I have owned other cars with the same thing if I ran low octane it did it I put high octane in runs perfect. Any suggestions?
The cars require premium. It's on your gas door, on later cars its printed on the gas gauge, it's in your owners manual too. Bone stock the 1g car is 7.8 to 1 compression with 11psi boost. Effective compression ratio with those numbers will require premium fuel.

When you gonna bring that thing to OKC anyway? Cars and coffee this weekend!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its in the shop for a month having the targa hand made. And im going to Memphis this weekend. Super bowl. Next big car show I will come up.

There is an indoor car show in lawton OK I was asked to bring it to. It should be there in April. I got really busy in end of November all of December so was not able to take it everywhere I needed so it's crunchtime for show season. Want to get a few more trophies with it. I got new tires for it today im going to put on then I will take more pictures. For people.

Last car show down here there was a ton of Oklahoma vw's and a few guys showed up from Oklahoma said they was DSM guys looked it over but they did not bring cars. So I showed against them for the import calls and ya I argued it was a mophar/ Chrysler product but hay I just rolled with it. Had some awesome 60 vw's super clean I was most unice for the whole show but lost that class. But there was some super clean old vw's so I knew I was outclassed on the bling because mines not blingy nor will it be edited while in my care.

Last edited by a moderator:
99% of the time mine has been fed 92+. It has run on regular when that all that was available and never knocked where you could hear it pinging. The knock sensor has been able to pull timing with minimal performance impact to normal driving.

Since yours is a prototype it hard to say how it's tuned or the condition of your knock sensor.

Where I live (~6,200 ft elev.), premium is 91, and regular is 85. In theory, a DSM has an absolute barometer, so it should increase boost to near sea-level normal. Hence our high-altitude compensated fuel would be too low in octane. In reality I have not observed any detonation or ping in my driving, though that has been a limited affair in my car since acquiring it, owing to the amount of time I've had it off the road for maintenance, repair and restoration. The main ways you can reduce the ping is better gas, adjust base timing, and lower boost. Most enthusiasts prefer to get the most knock-resistant fuel they can find/afford (including octane boosters or E85) and tuning for greater power (more boost!!). Water/ meth injection is also a viable method for some gains, as is bigger intercooler. If you want to keep it stock (as I do with mine), look for the best fuel. Find a station your car likes and keep going there. If you do long road trips, perhaps just use the same brand (shell, chevron, etc.). Staying off WOT will also limit cylinder pressure, and hence knock. But where's the fun in that!! Nobody is owning these cars purely as basic, economical transportation.

If the knock sensor is doing its job, you should NEVER HEAR it ping. If I HEARD my motor pinging, I would be checking that sensor for integrity.

It's only happen ever on a trip where I went off the beaten path and got gas at a less used gas station and then octane booster stopped it in a few seconds. Most likely was weak gas for premium

The government is more & more forcing manufacturers on fuel & emissions and less & less cars have to use premium consequently. The premium may be older & gotten stale if the station has low amount of customers using it. The octane level goes down as gasoline ages.

What I thought. But was just asking to see if anyone else had or has heard of the same issue. It appears yes and the answer is premium gas and roll. Far as gas mileage I do not think these cars got 16 mpg on there best days especially a turbo model. Thanks guys for in input.

Last edited:
My stock(ish) '90 GSX gets 18 to 20 on the highway :thumb:

City only its understandable. Not sure I would want to highway that car either.
Yes it is why I'm iffy on driving it all the way to OKC. Lawton I can take the back way avoiding 44. Im looking at a tilt trailer to take it on long trips. I really want to drive it on the coast to coast I do not think a car like this one ever has done that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back