The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

low idle problem, sometimes car dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kre8ive_kustomz

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 18, 2004
Green Bay, Wisconsin
I'm having a problem with my 95 tsi, occasionally (more often lately) the car starts up fine, idles maybe a little high then after its driven for a while it will idle at 200-300 rpms or die completely with the clutch in. also on a not so related topic i was wondering how its possible for the timing belt to skip teeth and get the pulleys out of sync when the belt isnt loose? the cam gears line up but when they do all the other pulleys are off. if i line the crank up the cam gears are off and the oil pump is a half turn off, but the balance shaft lines up, im a little lost on that one but im curious because i dont want to go through and fix it every week. thanks for any insight anyone may have.

check your BISS screw in the TB, maybe your MAF popped out,
I spent $500 trying to fix/figure my problem, and it turned out that my MAF plug was slightly loose, I pushed it all the way in, and perfecto

About your timing belt. Be very very careful putting the belt on. If you are not extremely good with engines then have someone do it for you. I went through 6 belts and set the timing at least 50 times literally before I got it right. The belt has to be put on perfectly with the correct tension before you even start to work on setting the tensioner pulley and auto tensioner. If the belt is put around the oil pump pulley too tightly then when the belt tightens up on the tensioner side it will move the oil pump pulley but not the cam gears and get them out of line.

The messed up idle is likely the BISS screw as said above. As for MAS plug yea mine cracked and would cause issues every once in a while till I replaced it with a junkyard piece. Check for boost leaks while you are at it.

Not very bolt-on related, this should be in prob-diagnose or noobie section.

thanks guys, i reinstalled the belt today, all is good in that department, i think is somehow jumped teeth when my drunk friend let the e-brake down and rolled backwards, he jammed it in first instead of braking. as for the idle, i replaced the maf with one of my others today didnt die quite as fast but i think its because of the huge filter on the ingen pipe. i'm not too familiar with the "biss" screw but i will locate that tomorrow, whats the common thing that happens with it? does it back out of fall out or something? thanks again, john

kre8ive_kustomz said:
"i'm not too familiar with the "biss" screw but i will locate that tomorrow..."
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

BISS: (B)ase (I)dle (S)et (S)crew, similar to what you would to refer to as just an "idle set screw" on nearly every other car, except that the BISS is not directly responsible for controlling idle. That's why you have to ground the Ignition Timing Adjustment Plug (1G) or connect a diagnostic scan tool (2G), warm the engine up, turn off all accessories, have the transmission in neutral and steering wheel dead ahead, etc. BEFORE you set the BISS.

What you're doing is telling the ECU where you want the car to idle when the "no load" conditions above are true (i.e. no fans running, lights off, stereo off, yada, yada, yada). BASE Idle Set Screw. Get it? The ECU then increases idle speed as power demands increase. So it's actually kind of rare to see your tachometer sitting exactly where you've set your base idle.

Hopefully your idle issues stem from something simple like what Nanan and exiletalon have mentioned. If not, check the ISC (Idle Speed Control Motor). :laser:

hey thanks guys, i went to take my biss screw out, i was going to replace the o-ring but it wouldnt come out all the way. from where i have it set now it idles around 1400k at startup then goes down to 800 at idle after getting warm, that was just driving around a bit by my house, i will take it to greenbay later and see if all is well, it looks good so far though. i can hear a vacuum leak anything above 2500 rpms that i didnt notice before so looks like im going to have some fun later. this car has run rich since i dropped the motor in, anyone know of a way to even this out without adding an safc or any real expense? ive gone through 2 manifold o2's already in this engine and would rather not invest too much, i only drive it when it looks like it might rain or when i have to pick something up. thanks again, john

i just read the isc page diplomat linked, made me think because when the car wouldnt start i disconnected the negative battery, when i reconnected it with the car off the isc clicked for 5 seconds or so then stopped..... i do have a spare so if my new idle doesnt take i'll try swapping them out. is it possible it thats bad for the fuel mix to become rich? i am having that problem
thanks , john

Nanan said:
The messed up idle is likely the BISS screw as said above. As for MAS plug yea mine cracked and would cause issues every once in a while till I replaced it with a junkyard piece. Check for boost leaks while you are at it.

Not very bolt-on related, this should be in prob-diagnose or noobie section.

i laugh when people call it a biss screw, the same as an atm machine.
its a base idle set screw screw and an automated teller machine machine.

sorry i added absolutely nothing to this thread it just makes me laugh cause everyone including myself does it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back