The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Low clutch pressure after replacing clutch cylinder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tay97gst

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2011
Plaistow, New_Hampshire
I replaced the master clutch cylinder because it was leaking onto my carpet. Before i replaced it the clutch was stiff but felt good. Now the clutch has very little pressure and is very easy to press. Also, when i release the clutch it slows down slightly before making it all the way to resting position. I've bled it using the slave cylinder bleeder valve but it still is the same stiffness. Help :(

I might as well add that when in gear, theres very little room between having the clutch pedal being all the way down and then the engagement point. I would say there's only about 1/2-1inch from the floor to engagement point which feels so weird. There used to be a lot more distance between these two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJxQyjIhUw&feature=player_embedded
I watched this video but whether im too tired or too stupid I couldnt understand how to apply this to my situation. Can someone put his steps into lamens terms for me?

Last edited:
basically what he is saying is there is a rod on the back of your clutch pedal assembly. what I took from the video when i watched it awhile back was, feel your slave cylinder it should have a bit of play if you push it in. you want to tighten the screw until theres no play then back it off a little bit so theres just a bit of play.

basically what he is saying is there is a rod on the back of your clutch pedal assembly. what I took from the video when i watched it awhile back was, feel your slave cylinder it should have a bit of play if you push it in. you want to tighten the screw until theres no play then back it off a little bit so theres just a bit of play.

Ok. Now what i dont get is how this changes after only changing the master cylinder? Does it have to do with how long the rod on the mater cylinder is out? I tried to match it up to the old cylinder in length so i thought it would just be in and out. :confused:

Also, what does this adjustment actually change? The engagement point? Will it have any effect on the stiffness of the pedal?

Ok. Now what i dont get is how this changes after only changing the master cylinder? Does it have to do with how long the rod on the mater cylinder is out? I tried to match it up to the old cylinder in length so i thought it would just be in and out. :confused:

Also, what does this adjustment actually change? The engagement point? Will it have any effect on the stiffness of the pedal?

yea it changes the engagement point, the rod goes into the master cylinder to affect the pressure and amount of fluid transfered I believe. worse case scenario I would try to do the adjustment until the slave cylinder has a bit of play in it, and then go from there. the only other thing I would think that could cause it is air bubbles but you said you bleed the line.

yea it changes the engagement point, the rod goes into the master cylinder to affect the pressure and amount of fluid transfered I believe. worse case scenario I would try to do the adjustment until the slave cylinder has a bit of play in it, and then go from there. the only other thing I would think that could cause it is air bubbles but you said you bleed the line.

Ok, i really only think it could be 3 things. 1, i need to adjust the rod(which i probably do) 2, air still in the lines. 3, bad clutch cylinder(i honestly doubt it).
Tomorrow i will make the adjustments and bleed the lines some more and be back with results.

New update: went out this morning to get it on the ramps so i can go under and push on the slave cylinder. I push in the clutch and it sticks to the floor. Manually bring it back up and pump it back and forth a few times and it regains pressure. Does this mean there's still air in the system?

Ok, i really only think it could be 3 things. 1, i need to adjust the rod(which i probably do) 2, air still in the lines. 3, bad clutch cylinder(i honestly doubt it).
Tomorrow i will make the adjustments and bleed the lines some more and be back with results.

New update: went out this morning to get it on the ramps so i can go under and push on the slave cylinder. I push in the clutch and it sticks to the floor. Manually bring it back up and pump it back and forth a few times and it regains pressure. Does this mean there's still air in the system?

that would be my first guess, wierd that it regained pressure though. I would try to bleed the slave again and see what happens. you might still double check the rod since you said it was engaging really low to the floor but air in the lines would be my first guess.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back