The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Love to hate the good ole DSM awd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkamus

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2012
27263, North_Carolina
all I can say is If it isn't one thing its another lately for me. I purchased my gsx in hopes of enjoying an awd turbo for a change over my old rwd bmw but it hasn't been much luck yet.
Alittle back history on my car. 97 eclipse gsx with 114k miles black
When I purchased the car everything was amazing worked fine boost was what u would expect from a 14b so I was happy thought everything was good to roll. well how wrong was I to think such a thing.
On my way home from purchasing the car, a 2 hour trip, the 14b blew up and I literally rolled onto my street. So brand new car and bam dropping a new turbo in.
well I went ahead and said screw it while im doing this ima do a few other things as well. I went and purchased full fmic short route and purchased a rebuild big e16g turbo figured why not. well got those in and bam drove like a champ again for about 2 weeks then all of a sudden I go to leave and my car does nothing when I go out to it. no dings from my key or anything so im thinking hrm did I leave the lights on or something. Wrong somehow my ecu had finally bursted and leaked over the board. once again if im gonna replace something why not go ahead and go top end right? Eprom ecu socketed with ecmlink v3. 2 weeks later popped it in and varoom im going again.
happy at last and boy was I enjoying the ride for about a month or so. I noticed one day I seen oil in my valve cover where the spark plug bay is. I wondered where it came from I though maybe pcv, oil cap, valve cover. so I did from cheap to expensive at this point, only to replace all 3.
all better fixed and wonderful
till 3 weeks ago
turbo blew on me with less than 1k miles on it and threw chunks of metal in my engine which then caused the amazing job of ruining 2 things at once.
back to the chopping block for me.
This time I was smart
ALL NEW PARTS
So
here is the list of everything that is going in the car finally
stage 3 John sheppard Transmission (purchased 300 miles b4 I got the car)
Johnny Walker Short block with .20 bore(purchased with car) Decked honed and all redone
Manly Racing pistons
Manly H connecting rods
Evo 16g turbo
Brian crower 272/272 cams
brian crower sprigs
1mm oversized valves
ported+polished head
3g lifters
fic 650cc fuel injectors
walbro 255lph fuel pump
aem fuel rail and air fuel pressure regulator
srs Full turbo back exhaust non cat delete
2 row alum radiator with fanshroud

gonna be making some good power now when its all said and done
everything brand new from bottom to top end
will add some pics as I get everything

anything else u may think I could use feel free to add ## imput ide love to know b4 everything is done

Unfortunately this is common for a dsm but when everything is done you'll be happy. My love affair with mine lasted almost ten years while it sat in my garage. Car is now running fixing all the small things that needed to be addressed and just made 362 whp, but I have to fix a valve seal problem. These cars do have a attached a high up keep. I am lucky this is only a hobby car so if its broke it stays out of site in the garage. Everything you listed are the right parts, so I believe your car will be a good foundation for lots of power. I hope your build goes well and make sure to post your progress. By the way, what 16g turbo did you buy that lasted only 1000 miles?

I didn't see a wideband throughout the list, unless you did it when you got ECMlink V3. That'll make tuning the beast a simpler matter.

Unsure of your power goals, as you didn't mention them, but you might want to go with a stronger clutch. I got a South Bend SS-TZ and its been great on a car set to about 13/14 psi. Tim (Twicks69) sells them at a good price and stands by them. Definitely recommended.

I have to second what dkalfop said. Blown turbo after just 1k mi? Was it an ebay turbo? If not, who rebuilt it? What kind of psi was it seeing?
I bought a TSi once with a "newly rebuilt turbo". The guy even had the receipt for the rebuild kit and some of the rebuild kit itself. He'd wasted his time however, as it was an older ebay turbo prior to their "upgrades". I ran it for a little while, but switched to a real small 16g within month.

well when I purchased it everything looked right on it being a legit mhi but after my mechanic now checked everything he said ithad to be the guts of a piece of shit Lol
yeah no wideband or dsmlink yet and im gonna be running on the stock 11psi from the wastegate when I get the car back for now
when I work somemore money up im gonna go with dsm link and wideband hopefully then everything will be good to go
I have all the downloads and cables for the dsmlink and
what caused the old turbo to blow also is it ate my intake hose
so got an injen now also

just doing another update
my dsmlink/ecmlink w.e they wanna call it LOL is on the way will be here tomorrow and waiting to hear from the machine shop to see if my crankshaft is good to go lets hope for the best

here is the list of everything that is going in the car finally
srs Full turbo back exhaust non cat delete

Just a heads up: I'm currently installing a full SRS exhaust on my GSX as we speak and the SRS Downpipe (SRS-DP-MITECLGSX9599) is a CAT-DELETE downpipe. This pissed me off, as nowhere on their website or the eBay auctions mentions this. They don't even give an overall length, so there is NO way to know this beforehand. If you plan on keeping your stock cat, get a different downpipe.

well thankfully my shop let me come in and work on my car some myself ended up using plasma cutter and rewelding the downpipe to fit the oem cat until I can get a high flow cant wait

still waiting on my block to get back from the shop
ended up having a bad crank and block so got a stock block and getting it bored decked and honed
everything that could go wrong with this build has

car still sitting with a full freaking tank of 93 octane
only gas I use

well new updates and again the shit hits the fan for me Lol
$3700 into my build everything rebuilt/replaced and in good running condition WOOT WOOT happy at last. few little things still left to do but for the most part everything is done. car holding strong at 14lbs boost for break in period then we gonna be taking it to 20-24lbs. so drove the car 700 miles and bam a loud wining sound comes from what sounds like transfer case. pull it off and it has lost all fluid which was filled up apon installing the engine so i pulled my yolk to check the seal it was good to go so pull the transfer apart and when i take the yolk cap off bearings come falling out and thats when i finally get to park it again till i get the new tcase in

i just moved to SD for school and gas is ~30c more expensive, 87 is the cheapest, but in iowa 93 was. difference between (corn) states i guess

It is 3.73 per gallon here for 93. So i have been in the range of 3.50-4.20 since 16 and I am currently 24 so if I was to switch to 87 It would be like having 2 checks come my way LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back