The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Loud tapping , 5 miles on motor:(

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YungTlon

5+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2018
Pueblo, Colorado
Hi all. Started my new long block and it has been having a problem idling . It honestly runs like shit. So come to find out it skipped one or two teeth. But it ran decent enough so I didn’t think much of it I thought it was just in the tune. Drove it to get gas and everything . Come home and see that the base timing is way off. Then I realize the crank pulley timing marks are way off, uh oh. And boom it skipped timing some how. Re timed it and it has a loud ticking coming from the head that follows rpm. Going to do a compression test after work today. Any thoughts on what this noise could be? Leading me to vent valve(s) considering the problem it had idling . This video was taken before I knew the timing was off, I fixed the timing and it still runs like this.See video below. Thanks. And then it would even run decent sometimes but as soon as you would give it gas it would not idle on its own . Here’s how it idled with the timing off. The tick has gotten worse just don’t have a current video of it. Its loud enough you can hear it echoing off of other cars. (Second video is idle vid) cant really hear the tick in that vid.

Update. Compression came back 120psi on all cylinders and did not leak down very fast at all if any. I did the wrist pin knock check by undoing a plug wire while the car is running. Nothing changed. My next guess is a collapsed lifter or 16😂

So the crank and the cams jumped timing? These are interference engines so unless some miracle, the noise you are hearing is a bent valve making contact inside the head.

did a leak down and comp test . If I had bent valves it would leak down / have a significant comp difference in one cylinder. Even checked it out with a bore scope. Even did a couple pulls. I think I’ve been touched by a angel. Crank jumped by like 2 teeth. I know I wasn’t supposed to rip on it but it was my 19 birthday man and I just needed a little feel of the power at any cost LOL. Did a longer leak down and DID NOT leak down. Always found out the noise got quieter after letting it sit over night . I’m thinking lifters

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back