The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Lots of Oil in Exhaust Manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikEclipse99

15+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Good morning all!
First startup with the new bottom end and it is billowing smoke. Brand new pte 6466, the oil drain is at least at 25* all
the way down. I removed the manifold to find cylinders 1,2 and 4 coated in oil. Compression test tested out 148, 150, 153 and 145. The last time this head was on my car(2 years ago when it ran last) there were never any issues with it, is it possible that the valve seals just went bad from sitting in my garage?

Any help is appreciated here, thank you!
-Mike

Attachments

• gasket.JPG
    gasket.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 182
The compression numbers seem a little low , but most certainly the valve stem seals could have went bad after sitting for 2 years. I personally remove all valves / springs / cams etc and bag them up in WD-40, but that is just my OCD.

That is what I'm thinking as well. The odd thing is the picture of the gasket I posted- all of the oil is on the exhaust manifold side none really on the head side of the gasket. I would have to assume it is because one side of the gasket is slightly rounded and one side is flat, logical?

**update**
After a new curt brown head with literally everything new inside it we still have smoke. I am now confused. I tried rerouting the oil drain another way that's steeper and still nothing is helping. There is oil pooled up on the exhaust side of this brand new 6466

Yes of course, I was thinking it was still residual as well. I let it run for a little while waiting for the smoke to calm down but it doesn't. Possibly from no o2 sensors and a whacked out tune currently? I will have my downpipe done by wednesday and will be able to throw o2 sensors in

Do you have a catch can setup ? Could be blow by which can happen at idle as well. This happened to my car took care of that issue and all is well. PS my bottom end has less than 3k miles built new bottom end.

It's possible your turbo is the culprit. But, that's a lot of oil to travel backwards in the exhaust tract. However, despite what people may tell you, it is possible. Given you've ruled out the head (seemingly) I'd say the turbo being the issue is definitely plausible at this point.

I had a similar issue to yours. A few winters ago, I had my Galant apart for a major overhaul. I dropped in a new motor and made a bunch of associated upgrades. However, I reinstalled the old Evo 3 16G I had been running on the car prior, which was problem/leak/smoke free at the time of the initial tear down.

On first start, the car was smoking it's ass off. I figured the new motor was the culprit, and just ran it for a while hoping it would clear up. After about 50 miles, it was apparent the smoke wasn't going away, so I started to investigate.

After tons of troubleshooting, I eventually ended up pulling the turbo. Once I did, I saw tons of oil pooled behind the turbine. In addition, the downpipe, O2, and exhaust system were coated as well. The most puzzling part, was I saw trace bits of oil spatter in the exhaust manifold collector too. I had multiple people tell me that's not possible due to a exhaust flow, however, I assure you it is.

Long story short, I decided to rebuild the turbo and see what happened. I slapped the same turbo back on the car with new seals, and didn't change anything else. I didn't even bother to clean out the old oil from the exhaust, and just ran the car with the rebuilt turbo. It smoked like a bi*** for another 20 miles or so as the oil burned out of the exhaust, but after that it was completely smoke free.

Now, your situation would have to be a very extreme case of the scenario I just described above, but I suppose it's within the realm of possibility. I'd look closely at your turbo, how it's being oiled and if it's pushing a significant amount of oil past the seals.

Here are pictures from my car of what I described above:

Exhaust manifold collector/outlet
wp_002678-jpg.269492

Turbine housing inlet
wp_002677-jpg.269491

Turbine housing outlet
wp_002664-jpg.269398

O2 housing outlet
wp_002666-jpg.269399

Last edited:
ceedawg- Yes I do have a catch can setup with 2 -10 off the valve cover and it also smokes just barely out of the filter on it.

gst with psi- I see your point with oil blowing back up however, how would there only be oil on cylinders 1,2 and 4 and cylinder 3 be bone dry? As for oil drain like i stated above its a -12 always descending. I really hope this turbo is not the culprit as it literally has 300 feet on it from moving my car from one garage to another at my house. The thing that is throwing me off is the holset turbo I had on here before also smoked bad pointing me in a different direction.. but where?

diambo4life- yes the turbo has the restrictor mounted in the turbo from the factory and I have not removed it or tampered with it whatsoever

I think I need to try to run it for a few miles and see if maybe it is still residual oil. Today I grabbed temp tags and threw the insurance back on it. Tomorrow my new hub assembly will be in so my car will be road ready again. If you have any other ideas please keep me posted as I am lost! Thank you

Below are pictures of the turbine and the oil spewed on the block
I think you've fixed the problem by replacing the old head. Think about it if you had that much oil coming out of those 3 exhaust ports it had saturated the complete exhaust system its going to smoke like a train until you burn it all off. I had one exhaust port to dump oil like that and when I fixed the car it smoked for a while until I had burned off all left over oil in the exhaust system.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

**UPDATE** The car is still smoking a little. I have put maybe 5 miles on it and now I have another issue.. When I press the accelerator pedal the car immediately wants to stall until I take my foot off the pedal. CEL for front o2, during a datalog the sensor was flat lined. New o2 sensor will be installed tonight and hopefully this cures my issue. On a good note it does seem like the smoke is going down!

You need to drive at least a few days. For the oil to completely burn off. As far as the hesitation change your o2 the oil in the exhaust killed it.
**UPDATE** The car is still smoking a little. I have put maybe 5 miles on it and now I have another issue.. When I press the accelerator pedal the car immediately wants to stall until I take my foot off the pedal. CEL for front o2, during a datalog the sensor was flat lined. New o2 sensor will be installed tonight and hopefully this cures my issue. On a good note it does seem like the smoke is going down!

New update, new o2 sensor and it continues to want to stall.. I went through everything last night and couldn't find anything. I think it is running slightly better however but I acquired a misfire last evening. Tonight I will pull the plugs and replace all four.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back