The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Lost 3rd and 4th?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstCarIsA GSX

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2010
Riverside, California
I was on the freeway starting a solid pull while in 3rd gear and out of nowhere I got kicked out of 3rd gear and heard a loud clunking noise and when I tried putting it back into 3rd or 4th gear it would seem to go in but would not engage and would seem to be in neutral anytime i gave it gas and would rev up. Was able to limp the car home with 1st 2nd and 5th but not sure what it is. Not very knowledgable with transmissions so help would be much appreciated.

You either shredded a gear(s), broke a shift fork, lost a roll pin for the shift fork, or broke a shift rail end. If it had felt very difficult to move the shifter into 3rd/4th, I would have pointed towards a failed 3/4 hub and slider.

The transmission needs to be pulled and torn down for inspection and repair.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back